Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The tale of two pickups

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 16, 2020.

1. My fellow club member Steve inherited his fathers old '52 Ford truck that was well used and sitting in the pasture of the old home place for many years, in the early 80's Steve decided to drag the truck to his shop and build a hot rod, as was the norm at the time the non running flathead came out and a sbf replaced the tired old engine and he proceeded to build a nice driver truck.

[​IMG]

In 1989 Steve and his brother decide to sell the farm and Steves brother was cleaning out the barn and loaded the flathead up in the bucket of the tractor and hauled it out to where the property met the tree line and buried the engine along with a lot of scrap.

In 2010 Steve bought a original 1932 Ford pickup in Pigeon Forge and preceded to hot rod it, he sold the entire running gear to a restorer in Texas, I sold him a frame an all the components to get the project rolling.

[​IMG]

During the build he talked about wanting a flathead and I ask what he did with the engine from his dad's truck, that's when I heard the story about it being burying, I talking to our friend and fellow club member Andy about building a flathead he told Andy the story and he suggested digging the engine up and seeing if it was usable.

Steve got in touch with the owners of the old farm and the gave him permission to do a archeological dig in the area, he took a metal detector with him and within a hour found the engine, he dug it up and Andy checked it out, most of the parts were not usable but Andy saved the block, and built a nice engine that now reside under the hood of Steves '32 pickup.

[​IMG]

It's cool how his dad bought the '52 pickup and used it on the farm for so many years, Steve saved the truck and still has it, and his '32 is powered by the same engine that was in his dad's truck. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  2. catdad49

catdad49

That's quite a story, Danny. Thanks for sharing!

hotrodharry2 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Now that's a story!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

What a story!!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

that is flat out Cool

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. goldmountain

goldmountain

This must be the sequel to the parts you threw out thread.

firstinsteele and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. That 52 looks nice!:cool: I would not mind either pickup.:rolleyes: Cool story Big Guy.:) Thanks

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. I does kind of tie in does tie in. HRP

9. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

That is inspirational ... just reading and killing time, in 10 min I am going to go pick up a sight unseen 239/4spd from a 51 ford f1 truck ... The motor is stuck. I paid $100 for it 3 days ago.
    Just hoping can save the block and a few parts. Builder is going a different direction.

Thanks for the story and wish me luck, time to go get it.

HOTRODPRIMER and 41rodderz like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I like both of them....

11. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, I heard Steve is building another truck, what is he working on now?

12. The truck is almost done, it's a 40 Ford and it's running and waiting for Dave to do the interior. HRP

13. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Like both trucks. Kind of surprised that he was able to use the block. Seen lots of flatheads that just sat and not been buried in the dirt for that amount of time that were unuseable.