Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. whip up one of these to fill your portable air tank. Hook your compressor hose to one side then your tank hose to the other, open valve and fill your tank in seconds. Way quicker than filling through the schrader valve.
    B4233700-0294-4854-B4E9-08577F2679A9.jpeg

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

^ This... I forgot to include that little tip. Also, I use the coiled whip from my main air line, that way I don't need a dedicated air line for the portable. Use the portable a lot more than I thought I would when I first put it together.
    66.jpg
    :)

3. khead47

khead47

Whenever I measure the diameter of a twist drill, I mike the shank end rather than the fluted end. Much easier.

alanp561, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  4. Your post is what reminded me to post that:D

chryslerfan55, enloe and loudbang like this.
  5. I put a quick connect on my portable air tank, so that I can use a blow off gun, tire chuck, or whatever air accessory I need. As above, I use 2 male quick connects to do a rapid fill of my portable air tank. I don't have a valve on mine, just an elbow, with the 2 male pieces. Shut-off valve is on the compressor main line.

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I used an air tank to plumb my 1 inch air impact. No valve or anything between the tank and my impact, nothing but hose. Then I add a regular male plug in it , to air up the tank. This way the big impact get a full shot of air for the first few hits. Makes it work better, for hard jobs.
    I used this for my big impact, but this system will make any impact stronger.
    Quick disconnects are somewhat restrictive.

Bones

7. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Lots of hot weather lately and we have to stay hydrated so I decided to check on my beer fridge that hadn't been defrosted for 14 years. Needless to say, a hammer and screwdriver were not the best plan. Pic is of my new bar fridge... DSCN5304.JPG DSCN5305.JPG

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Has anyone used those rubber curb ramps in their driveway gutter, or made their own? I'm catching my header collectors..

loudbang likes this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Now here’s a shop fridge!,lol

Bones 482E7ADD-7B1B-4AB9-9015-C290568586CB.jpeg

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well if you're going with Labatts Blue I would go with Pepsi to keep the colour theme alive. On th other hand if you really like Coke you could invest in some Molson! LOL

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I prefer Guinness, black goes with anything!

12. hammer-time

hammer-time

Those green bottles on the top shelf look inviting...

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My favorite beer is free beer. My second favorite is cold beer.

Bones, The first time I heard this, "If a man designed and made it, I should be able to figure out how to fix it." was in the 50s. My dad said it to a guy who questioned his ability to fix a broken drive chain on an Old Oldsmobile truck. The words were slightly different and his tone sent shivers down my spine. :eek:

14. On the Air tank, I made mine double duty, I had a line coming off the bottom with a quick connect, When I pulugged in the valve I would open it for a second to blow out all the water, then hook it to the big compressor to fill it up.

Works on an air tank in the car as well (air bags)

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Got company coming this weekend, so I had to stock up! My fridge will hold 250+ beers plus a couple bottles harder stuff! I have visual proof! Lol

Bones 1D003A7A-5A9F-4451-83DD-5A24C931DEDD.jpeg

16. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I like your ice pick...

17. Coggles

Coggles

That’s an ice axe. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That is what my Dad taught me. He said a “ good” mechanic should be able to take almost anything apart, check for wear or bad parts and reassemble. He said a lot of mechanics were just parts changers! He showed me how to overhaul my Cushman engine when I was about 11/12 years old. Then a few years later we did a 312 Y-bock. I still have that 312! Then we did a MEL 430 together.
    He also told me I could apply that philosophy to life. I have tried my best to do that! He’ll be gone eight years come Pearl Harbor day! We were tight! Sure miss him!

Bones

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  19. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Real men don't drink lite anything;):p

chryslerfan55, enloe, LAROKE and 3 others like this.
  20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Come on Alan.... I’m trying to keep my girlish figure! Lol

Bones

chryslerfan55, enloe and LAROKE like this.
  21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've paid the equivalent of several years of wages to Budweiser to get the shape I've got and I'm not changing now.;)

22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I weighed 125 when I graduated from high school! I couldn’t buy a pound! Hence the nickname “ Boneyard” .
    Then a few years back, at the Doctor’s office I weighed 250! I figured being twice the man I was in high school was enough! Lol I’m back down to 215,now.......thanks to “ lite beer” lol

Bones

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Boneyard51 likes this.
  24. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

You are my kind of host, a host with the most. I try to keep a quart of local clear stuff, the kind that makes believers out of the big talkers. about three or four gulps and they can't find their ass with both hands or as my old Uncle used to say"They have to hold on to the grass to keep from falling down"

25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Homie don’t do the hard stuff!! Very good anyway! Lol. I’m a beer drinker and the other day a few of my buddies came over for our weekday get together. Well we were putting them away... as usual, then my wife come out with some local moonshine. Legal! After a few shots of that, I got up.... then went face first into the new railing I just built for our deck! I was down for the count! I don’t drink that local stuff no more!

Bones 162E84BD-FAC5-47EF-B527-3E80611611A9.jpeg

26. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My local shine don't have a label, tested at 160 proof:eek: I take a swallow or two and screw the lid on. I ain't near as dumb as I used to be:rolleyes: That's my opinion anyway, my wife does not always agree. Maybe you should add padded railings, if you are like me you don't recover or heal up as well as you used to.

27. The only thing missing is some deer sausage and cheese!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hell! I at it again tonight! Getting into practice for the weekend!

Bones

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The first 150 lbs was tough. The next 50 was a piece cake, or pizza, beer, and age.
    Bones, The reason I was at work with Dad that day was that we were rebuilding my Chushman. I was in that shop last summer. It was at a now closed grain elevator near Happy, Texas. There is still a grain dryer there that Dad, my brother, and I towed there from Crystal Lake, Illinois in 1957 with a '53 Ford F 100 with a a six.

30. Mart

Mart

Jeez guys, I was going to post a little tip but this thread has gone way off topic. I'm not interested in fridges full of beer. I go out to the garage to work on cars not get loaded.