Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. I wouldn't attempt to Dyno the truck with the salt flats tuneup in it. That tune up would be way to lean to run at near sea level. It would not be good for the engine...

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Exactly

loudbang likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jon from my experience I always left the El Mirage tune in my engines. The altitude was about 1/2 Bonneville but the longer run of 3 miles versus 1.3 miles added to cylinder head combustion temp and burned more of the fuel. I’m not saying I didn’t make adjustments there but it’s where I started.
    A very wise competitor told me early in my Salt experience that he left his tune from near sea level in and Earl Wooden was told not to touch his very high dollar Reher-Morrison engine directly off the dyno in Texas in his NA gas streamliner and never had a problem and really hauled the mail.
    I learned that time of the day runs and slight changes in timing resulted in better performance than changing jets. This took 35 years of time on the salt and learning the conditions.
    I wish you best of luck this year.

4. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Running 5 miles a little fat is less expensive than running it lean. Running injectors for years on the street and Bonneville and El Mirage, you learn to make adjustments because of local daily conditions and time changes – just as jimmy six suggests.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and jimmy six like this.
  5. a mans blessings in life are God, Family, and friends.
    I count it an honor and privilege to call these guys friends.
    I give you the crew of the XO/PP 640 Bonneville project.
    Finishing up the truck today sharing this adventure with them is so special. Thank you guys for all your hard work and dedication put in to the Virginia H.A.M.B. Special. And a special thank you to my wife flora for sharing this journey along with me.
    I can smell the salt already 20200627_121142.jpg 20200627_121211.jpg 20200627_121214.jpg 20200627_121217.jpg 20200627_122138.jpg 20200627_122201.jpg 20200627_121328.jpg 20200627_121302.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's great!!!! Good luck on the salt.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. Lemme guess, after all these years she hasn’t killed you yet?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  8. Actually she is very into it. She wants to drive ...

9. @Druss, if you’re reading this I suggest you keep your head on a swivel cause it sounds like the boss (@johnmullens wife) is after your job.

10. lol she really has a led foot.

11. As @typo41 said earlier, read the rulebook 7 times then 7 more. Its amazing what folks miss..................................

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. It would be more helpful if you just said what you mean. Do you see something that may be a problem for passing tech, or are you just suggesting we read the rule book?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Just Gary, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

You fixed it,, the tailgate

loudbang likes this.
  14. loudbang likes this.
  15. a big shout out to our friend Ted Tallent from Harrisonburg Va for your generousity and encouragement for the XO/PP 640 project.
    Thank you,
    John and Crew

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  16. from all of us with the XO/PP 640 Virginia H.A.M.B. Special wish all our friends and supporters a very special 4th of July weekend.. lightem up if you gotem lol I personally like M80s

17. Looking foward to spending some time with my friends Doug and Jan Dwyer from Fallbrook California. Racing the salt just wouldn't be the same without them.
    Hope the salt God's will give us favor this year.. 20200711_090325.jpg 20200709_131942.jpg

18. AmishMike

AmishMike

Why 2 air-fuel meters? Compare? & red light if reads lean?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  19. There's a sensor in each of the two header collectors. Not sure what the red light is for.

20. The red light is so the driver will know when the torque converter is locked.

21. drivers Ed class before Bonneville lol, Just kidding Dave. You got this

Stogy, loudbang, D-Russ and 1 other person like this.
  22. Good luck this year!

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Last bit of details this morning with D-Russ, installing window net and adjusting the safety harness system, start up and check out the tranny, and refreshing the driver with the changes done for speed week 2020. 15 days left before we head west to the Salt. We are totally ready and excited to be representing all those who have supported the Bonneville project. This journey would not be possible without there help. You can bet we will do everything possible to succeed at our goal to break the current record.
    Thank you all .
    0627181018.jpg

24. a shout out to Doug Dwyer for his help getting
    DENSO RACING SPARK PLUGS for the Virginia
    H.A.M.B. Special.
    Looking forward to have Doug and his lil Yellar truck back with our team for Speed Week 2020.
    Thank you Doug for all you have done to help us fulfill out dream.
    We also have a team member from Albquerque
    New Mexico back with us as well. Thank you Rick Machale

25. For those about to rock, we salute you.

treb11, Stogy, Just Gary and 3 others like this.
  26. Loaded up and bolted down. Thanks to 57 Heap
    Thanks Sam. 20200725_084121.jpg 20200725_100653.jpg 20200725_084102.jpg 20200725_084129.jpg

27. loudbang

loudbang

GOOD LUCK Have some FUN too.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. A big shout out to Jeff and Beverly Engberson for your travel gift. The crew and I thank you very much for the funding..

Stogy, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. wish I was going with you guys this year John! If they close the beach and we cant go to our rented house, i'll be hot footing it across the country to join you!!

Hamtown Al, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.