Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What era are you stuck in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My hobby cars are late '30s up to 1960. Eclectic collection, they are GM, Mopar, Studebaker, Hudson.

Ray

Roothawg and Stogy like this.
  2. Colin HD

Colin HD

60's with my cars & 80's with my music & clothes. The Thor.PNG

Roothawg, LAROKE and Stogy like this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’d say 64 to 72. I like the older builds, but prefer the mid 60’s builds with Torque Thrusts and pie crust slicks. To me, Torque Thrusts were T H E wheel that looked good on almost everything!

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. I was born in 66, grew up in the 70's - early 80's but prefer the 60's but not necessarily 60's cars, in fact I've only owned 4-5 60's era cars/trucks.
    Give me 20's - 50's automobiles with 60's horse power, I'm a horsepower junky and that's when it was getting interesting in the showroom and at the track. I don't mind some wide whites but I want enough up front to smoke those damn things..ha ha ha

6. The straight-spoke versions, not the curved-spoke ones they're foisting on us now.... ;)

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't say that I am stuck in one era. My 48 will have a "could have been built in the late 50's Early 60's look on the outside. One of mods may be a stretch but would have been within the realm of customizing at the time. Simply meaning it could have been done if someone had thought of it.

The boat tail roadster is intended to look like a late 20's early 30's Indy two seater and the plan is for it to look a lot more old race car than hot rod.

I'm looking for a new home for the flathead an have something in mind to hunt for. All I am going to say is that it should be a rather simple as in few frills but completely finished ride.

Roothawg and Stogy like this.
  8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hahaha, you owe me a coffee!

49ratfink, Roothawg and Stogy like this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

Cars from '55-'72.....

Lil32, Roothawg, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It took me a while to get that one...<:D...I do very much look forward to that Rumbling down the Highway...;)

Roothawg likes this.
  12. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

I really prefer the cars built between 1940 and 1955. Flatheads, the homemade quality of many of these cars, the styling of early customs, all float my boat. I can see that I am very much in the minority here.

13. LAROKE

LAROKE

50's and early 60's because that was when my Dad was a machinist and engine builder and it was my wonder years.

[​IMG]

14. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You're so ornery!

49ratfink and Roothawg like this.
  16. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

Early 60's for me. Right out of high school.

dana barlow, Stogy and Roothawg like this.
  17. 56 to early 60's for me , worked on cars every chance I had !

Stogy and Roothawg like this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Correct!

Stogy, 31 B'ville and Roothawg like this.
  19. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

To me the 60's were the best. Between the hot rods/street rods and the cool stuff from Detroit, those years were awesome. I turned 16 in 1970 and went from building models to driving & street racing my 5-year-old GTO. Great times. I have a big collection of rod magazines from those years and still love reading them.

dana barlow, j-jock, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  20. v8flat44

v8flat44

Early 60s & late 50's till i sold the 52.....Scotty beamed me into the 80's where i got hooked on an 88 Turbo Coupe....i know, not H A M B friendly .....i still may get an "A" banger so i can stay "friendly"
    4 cylinder crazzy i am i am........

clunker, Stogy and Roothawg like this.
  21. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Post war to 62......even though I was born in the 50's. Simpler times.

22. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Great responses here. I find the early eighties to be a good time. The car shows and the people that were around me at the time. It's always fun to look back to another era and I find it funny that while we were living through whatever time we thought was best we probably didn't think much of it at the time. And then there are those that spend all their future living in another era.

Stogy, Tman and Roothawg like this.
  23. 7 years of high school? Must be a slow learner. :)

Tman and Roothawg like this.
  24. Mid to late 1700's or 1984... haven't decided yet....
    Chappy

25. railcarmover

railcarmover

Yoga pants,Im stuck in the Yoga pants era..As a lad I liked knee socks..and those gym suits they wore..but today? yoga pants,I really dig yoga pants,make me as nervous as a whore in church..

26. 1860s
    The war is over, land is plentiful and the great tribes still ruled the plains.

clunker and Roothawg like this.
  27. Grade 10, best three years of my life. :)
    Bob

28. Sadly I'm stuck in this time......until someone invents a time machine (maybe out of a Delorean).

29. [​IMG]

Deuces, 49ratfink and Roothawg like this.
  30. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We were lucky that not only were we growing up in the 1950 to the 1965 era, our likes and dislikes revolved around that time period, too. As 20 somethings, the 1966-through 1967 was inundated with those that wanted to make the world a better place, or just not participate like sheep. Then one year later, starting in 1968 was the starting period of social awareness and turmoil across the USA. It slowed down a little, but it is still around, today.

The description above sounds like hot rods and drag racing. The late 50s to the 1965 era, a time for innovations and development. From that point on, the rules changed, the little guy was booted to the sidelines and big money was making a splash. Since the world was changing from 66-70, so did the hot rod/drag racing timeline. Some for the good and other times, it was awful.

I am not stuck in any era, except for those fun loving 1965-75 social timelines with my wife. Those will never cease to exist in our minds and photos. Nothing else mattered back then...

But, as children of the 60’s, our minds have always been open to new things and happiness for our future. Our continued outlook/love in life, family, friends, and a car that starts every morning… in that order. We just wanted to get along in life as the most people did, but not to infringe on others along the way.

Jnaki

54 years together has taught us a lot. The importance of a clean lifestyle, family, and the preparation/work for being together. Our lives have been affected by our society as have others. But for us, it has been a little different living in one area for all of our lives. Like mountain bears adjusting to what they like the best and feel at home everywhere. So Cal does that to us. Paris, France and Kauai, Hawaii were wonderful trips and places to visit, but we are happy being local So Cal residents. That has helped with our calm attitude toward others.

Hot rods and drag racing played a part of the development. If things had gone a different way, who knows. We may have been the owners of a big corporation like Don Schumacher’s program and business. Ha!

That notion aside, we are happy with our lives, our granddaughter and her future. We look forward to what is next in our existence…as long as it has been and thanks go out to those that have helped us along the way.

We are "Happy Together...!"

Ron Funkhouser, clunker and Stogy like this.