Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What era are you stuck in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

30s-40’s. I love the classic swoopy lines and big fenders. Especially the customs being designed in those days.
    I’m surprised I never built an early classic custom.

[​IMG]

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right now, I'm stuck in 2020.
    Help, Mr. Wizard...

I was born in 1957.
    Seriously, I like the early style flathead powered roadsters a lot... but it's difficult to relate personally to stuff that came before our earliest memories. At least it is for me. Oh, I was hot on roadsters and coupes from a young age. But I think I actually saw less than a handful on the street in my very young life in the early 60s. What I did see quite a few of, were some rumpety post-war cars. I'm sure I had no clue about their particular drivetrains except that I knew they were cool sounding V8s.
    I guess I like the big old overhead valve V8s.
    But a lakes-style flathead roadster would be nipples.
    I'd find a way to relate.

KevKo, j-jock, jim snow and 3 others like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  4. From about 1960 to 67. I loved the styling of the customs and hot rods in that era that I lusted after in all my Hot Rod magazines. Then the muscle cars came out and I loved them too. But I always seem to come back to the 1920s-30s cars built into a hot rod. Thats my favorite.

-Brent-, Roothawg and Stogy like this.
  5. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

No doubt the 60's was a simple time to grow up in. The style of the hotrods and customs are somewhat carried over to today. The cruising was great, our social life was great, and the girls...…...WOW!!!!!

j3harleys, jnaki and Roothawg like this.
  6. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Customs 48-54
    Hot rods 1950-62

dan griffin and knucklenutz like this.
  7. error404

error404
    from CA

Music wise, I'm in the 60's and 70's.

Car wise and otherwise, I don't know. My favorite cars are definitely from the early 30s, but I don't know what (if any) particular style I prefer. I kind of do my own thing, get inspiration from anything I see that's cool, regardless of the era.

For example, I have a 46 Willys Jeep that I put a Japanese Kubota turbo diesel engine into. Pretty sure some guys are rolling over in their grave at the thought of a Japanese motor in an old Willys. haha

ffr1222k likes this.
  8. My Social Security number is #3...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Whatever my medication tells me

j-jock and j3harleys like this.
  10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Everything '55-64. Customs, hot rods, music, architecture, art, signage... I like it all. America seemed to be generally more optimistic, smart, capable, and ambitious then. Save me the politics, I'm well aware it wasn't perfect. It just seems like a fun time to someone that wasn't there.

I like older and newer cars / build styles too, but I inevitably gravitate to that era.

11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

What ever era 428 and 429 Ford engine's back preferably by a stick shift transmission,Larry Waston and Art Himsel custom paint ideas, tuck and rolled, shaved,decked and chopped, little front and big back tires, and lots of chrome puts me in! Lol I was born in 1955,was totally car and motorcycle crazy by 1965, and was teaching myself to panel paint my first car in 1970 and have been building everything from custom vans in 1973 to pro street stuff in the 90's and pro touring in the 2000's But they always had a mid to late 60's drag race/ custom feel. So I guess I do not have an era, I am just a life long hot rodder and customizer;) Larry

j-jock, Roothawg and fastcar1953 like this.
  12. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Somebody's signature line (here) said something like this, "I'm an analog guy in a digital world." I have no idea what the means to him, but for me, it means I was born a generation too late.

I was born in '66 and I'm fascinated with 60's drag racing. I wish I was there...

LAROKE, j-jock, swade41 and 4 others like this.
  13. I just love anything about this hobby. I got interested in hot rods in the mid fifties, and have never lost my love of the old cars. My favourites, will always be wild engines swapped into the old iron from the 30s through the late sixties. I always enjoyed doing my own work, and the running gear was always more important to me than the body.
    I also got to fly supersonic fighters for a living, and spent my whole working career as a pilot, both in the military and the airlines.
    The most fun is, that I am still in regular contact with buddies, from the same car club we started in the fifties, that are still playing with old iron.
    I couldn't have asked for a better life.
    Bob

dan griffin, HarryT, Roothawg and 3 others like this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

HAMB era, I'd have to say 1960 - 1965, sure would be a fun era to relive. Bob

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Roothawg and J_J2 like this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Double hump head era

16. Thats my line. It just means the world is passing by and I am trying to keep up with the changes the best I can.

LAROKE, MO_JUNK, j-jock and 5 others like this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Hot rod and trucks mid 30's to 1960 . It would have been cool to live through racing of mid 50's late 60's dirt and drag racing.

dan griffin, Roothawg and J_J2 like this.
  18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

From 1960 to 1970 I went from childhood to adulthood. That's a very formative transition !

Roothawg likes this.
  19. RmK57

RmK57

Roothawg likes this.
  20. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Thanks for the explanation!

56don and Roothawg like this.
  21. The present.

Roothawg likes this.
  22. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Truth....65-72
    Reading street rodder, Rod Action, and Rod and Custom in the early 70’s ...actually looking at pictures really shaped me

23. I live in the now
    I just drive old junk while I do that

clunker, Lil32, j-jock and 2 others like this.
  24. gene-koning

gene-koning

I turned 18 in 1974. Those years were pretty sad car wise, but things really got going again in the late 70s and through most of the 80s. That was some of the best times I had. Auto factories were no longer producing cars that excited people, so a 2nd wave of "build your own performance vehicle" was taking off and I happened to have some cash and some knowledge, and I really fully enjoyed that time frame.

By the mid-late 80s, there was a resurgence in the "restore your old performance cars" and I really disliked that time. It was about then that I went back in my past and re-fired the passion for the 30s and 40s era cars and trucks, but I wasn't interested in the original motors or drive train. I bought my 1st 30s hot rod project (OK, it was a pile of cut up rusted junk with a good title) in the late 80s, but it took me until 94 to get it running and moving under its own power.

That era of the HAMB was much more open and many discussions involving installing that era drive train into older cars were discussions I could share first hand knowledge of. I'm still here because I'm not dead stuck on any specific era of hot rods, if it was an improvement over what the factory originally gave us, its all good. Gene

clunker, j-jock and Roothawg like this.
  25. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

1960-1970...Stuck Forever... IMG_0043.jpg

26. J_J2

J_J2

I’d say 1940’s to mid 60’s for me. I like just about everything from that era.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roothawg likes this.
  27. j3harleys

j3harleys

Do you remember the day they made dirt?!!:D

28. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I got my drivers license in 1959.
    If it weren’t for street rods I wouldn’t have any interest in[​IMG] “hot rods”. I find it curious that “traditional” is mostly absent in this discussion.
    I was never interested in flathead engines.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Roothawg, wicarnut, LAROKE and 5 others like this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Late 50's to early 60's, Hot Rod Magazine was at it's best, music was at it's zenith, just seeing a real hot rod, was pure excitement ! With over 60 classes running at the local drags, every other Sunday, and a Honda Motorcycle to ride, absolute heaven. IMG_5142.JPG