Register now to get rid of these ads!

Screeching on a 63' Ford Galaxie 500XL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alan Goldman, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Alan Goldman

Alan Goldman

Hi People, I am new to this forum. So, I have a 63' Ford Galaxie 500XL, Big Block 390, 4-speed, all original, but Vintage Air was added before I bought the car. When I start the car cold, the belts start screeching for a few minutes standing still, and also when I turn the wheel either way. After a few minutes when I start driving, it goes away. I couldn't find any problem with the power steering pump, so I changed the belts to exactly one size smaller than what I had hoping that would work, but unfortunately it did not. Still screeching for a bit and then goes away. Can I live with it, Yea, but who wants to! Any help out there to get this to stop? Thanks....

2. You need to ask this on the main forum

VANDENPLAS and mgtstumpy like this.
  3. Alan Goldman

Alan Goldman

Sorry, How do I get to the main forum? Link?

4. ........Looks like the moderators moved it for you.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Double check for belt alignment.
    Did you look for abnormal wear on your old belts? Your pulleys May show wear by being shiny in an abnormal area.
    Also look for abnormal pulley movement when the engine is turning.
    Stay away from belt dressing. I’ve never had success with it.
    Your belts need to fit into the groove correctly.
    They are not designed to fit deep into the pulley groove but stay above the root of the pulley and squeeze.
    A shorter belt may not be the answer.
    https://www.bestorq.com/Library/TechInfo/techinfo/V-Belt Installation-Maintenance-Storage.pdf

6. Welcome to the forum. Do you have any pictures of the car? 63's are one of my favorite Galaxies.

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Likely you have the narrow belts and make sure that they are not bottoming o the pulley. If they are you may just need a bit wider belt.
    Back in the day cold squealing belts were common as car makers were beginning t load them up power steering, AC, smog pumps, etc. Try just turning off the AC until belts warm up a bit.
    On 46 chevy coupe with the Vintage air I have to start the engine without the AC and even sometimes click it off for a few seconds when pulling away from red lights to prevent squeal.
    Just goes with the dang narrow belts. All this is why car makers went to the serpentine belts bt that is a very expensive cure. Jimmie

8. indyjps

indyjps

PeteJoe, good info on belts.

Alan Goldman, try to isolate where its coming from. Do you notice any difference when the generator or a/c compressor are "on" vs when they are not. I dont know much about generators-if they cycle, youll be able to hear the ac compressor when the clutch is engaged.

I would first suspect the a/c install and pulleys used -just because its the non stock item. Are the pulleys aligned, do the pulleys have same angle/pitch as the stock pulleys, do the belts align on all pulleys like the info shown above.

Many times its mismatched pulley v notch, or mounting brackets that are not 100% in line, especially when adding something new. Remember all those underdrive pulleys -saw that a few times.

I fought belt thrower, the alternator pulley had been crushed slightly pushing the groove tight - low down in the v notch, it was not apparent at the rim. Belt would launch around 5500 rpm.

Ive taken all the pulleys off and sanded the groove smooth, then put file marks radially out from center. Bought all new Gates belts, not sure which action solved it.

VANDENPLAS and Petejoe like this.
  9. So, can I assume the car is stock except for the AC? What's the drive belt arrangement, i.e. which belt drives what? Fords of that era had funky power steering pump brackets, they could be very difficult to get tight enough. If it's squealing when you turn the wheels, it's almost certainly the power steering belt or pump. To check the pump, loosen the belt and turn the pulley by hand. It should turn fairly easily, if it doesn't that may be the issue.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Pulleys are worn out. The belt catches on the sides and the pulley will wear out there and its real hard to see.. I got good results roughing up the pulleys with sand paper... Also there might be some of the belt material stuck to the pulleys, going over them with a wire wheel in a drill will clean that up...

indyjps likes this.
  11. BECBA203-1366-476E-9D75-27513B934734.jpeg Are you pulleys glazed and shiny?

everything lined up and straight on the front of the engine?

lothiandon1940 and stillrunners like this.
  12. sunbeam

sunbeam

With the AC was there a up grade in the charging system? Belt noise after starting is usually alternator because of the extra load of charging the battery after starting. A 63 Ford only had a 40 amp system to start with.

13. “the belts start screeching for a few minutes standing still, and alsowhen I turn the wheel either way. “

Could be low fluid in the PS pump or the pump could be on its last leg.

14. Don't rule out the compressor belt may need to be tightened up. HRP

15. vickckik

vickckik

An idler pulley might help. They are on lots of cars so you should have a wide selection at the 'pick n pull'.