Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Remove rust from engine bay.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Jul 15, 2020.

1. scotts52

scotts52

I tried doing a search but the word rust brings up so many results that I was overwhelmed.

I bought a car that has decent paint and is otherwise in great condition. The problem though is they previously had an overheating issue and instead of fixing it and using antifreeze they just used water. Well, every time it overheated after that it spewed rusty water all over the engine and engine compartment. I'm looking for solutions to remove the rust stains.
    I've used CLR with some success but there's still a lot that needs attention. If I agitate the area that helps but I can't exactly get everywhere that easily. I'm hoping for a spray on hose off solution.

2. glrbird

glrbird

Eastwood makes a rust dissolver gel that might work. You could dilute it and spray it on, then hi pressure wash. They make a lot of products.

3. Unicorn piss, the spray on hose off solution that works.

squirrel and Bandit Billy like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Naval jelly ?

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What Unicorn did Dwight find?

6. WD-40 soak followed by pressure washing?

7. squirrel

squirrel

spray on sand (from a sandblaster), spray on paint after.

Otherwise, you're gonna have to do some work.

Pictures might help. We can only guess at what the surface is, that the rust is stuck to. Is it nice glossy paint? is it flat paint? is it old, dirty paint?

8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

You might see what one of those dustless blasters could do with it. Again, pics would help.

9. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

0715201621.jpg phosphoric acid ... I am new to it, I have tried
    murriatic acid and is toxic Leaves almost a bigger issue then you started with.

Ospho acid is great for frames, just wire brush the loose stuff off spray it on and perfect for painting. Turns rust into a paintable primer.

Here is a photo of my nose with phosphoric acid. I do not need to neutralize it, I just let it dry and it is protected until ready to work on it. The phosphoric acid is used to clean rust from kitchen equipment, it is used in making beer and other food products. It is safe.

You can buy metal etch from home depot, just 25% phosphoric acid mixed with water
    Some say you can buy 55% phosphoric acid at a fair price.

My photo is 85% phosphoric acid .... It does the job and nice to have around the shop. And is the nose off my avatar.
    For what you want, just pour a little on a rag and would remove it.
    I just think you may want to check out this 100 year old product with all the rust you have Steve ;)

10. indyjps

indyjps

Evaporust will work if you can keep it wet. Either soak rags in it, or put it in a spray bottle. Gentler on surrounding parts than phosphoric.
    I do like me some phosporic derusting though :D

11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

This is rust staining, not rust.

You should be able to clean the firewall with rubbing compound.
    You may have to use a triple attack of rubbing compound, scotch brute pads, fine steel wool and lots and lots of elbow grease.

It’s going to take some labor in a hard to reach area. You really need to consider pulling the engine.

The inner fenders.....
    Now those will be a challenge as the factory chassis paint was of such low quality. It may rub off.

12. scotts52

scotts52

Yes, glossy paint. I'll look into some of these solutions.
    Thanks

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Google naval jelly . Go ahead :)

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Don't forget the "e" if you expect to find anything. :D
    [​IMG]

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  15. That unicorn piss works, the hard part is getting the unicorn to pee in your cup. Once you’re past that it’s easy.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

F9FD07B7-8F7A-45E1-BF7D-159F1A85DC9A.jpeg

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Mmmmmmm..... I will tell Loctite right away . They are not going to be happy having to change labels , stationery etc. I will tell them Johnny says so. :D

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

19. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I'd try some Rust-B-Gone. I've used it on paint and it did an amazing job of removing rust stains. Found out about it through Hot Rod magazine several years ago.
    Good luck!

scotts52 likes this.
  20. MikeG5211

MikeG5211

If you haven''t gotten it taken care of yet I can almost guarantee you this stuff here will let you wipe it right off and not damage any painted surfaces. Apply liberally, wear gloves and don't breathe it in! Used this to remove sprinkler stains down one whole side of a car and take rust stains off chrome trim pieces for a friend, works amazing!

0718201739_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    scotts52 likes this.
  21. greybeard360

greybeard360

That video about Miss Belvedere.... They used Safest Rust remover on it. I used and sold it at my shop and the stuff is awesome. If you visit their website they have several videos of different ways to use it.