Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Chevy Pickup V8 Swap Radiator Issue

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Pinky1492, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Pinky1492

Pinky1492

Hey Guys, I bought a 1950 Chevy Pickup with a 350 SBC in it. I'm almost done rebuilding the 350 since it had a blown head gasket, but before I put the motor back in I want to make sure I have the proper radiator for the application. I bought it with a radiator that came from a Honda! Yes, a f***in' Honda radiator actually worked in a SBC V8! They cut and welded a radiator support for it and drove it like that till the day I bought it and it "Never overheated" with that radiator which is what I was told, and I do believe it since I had seen them drive it like that for a longtime (the blown head gasket was my fault by the way). So now that I'm almost ready to reinstall the motor, I want to know if I can buy a radiator that's meant for that truck which are made for the inline 6 engines or will I have issues since it will be linked with a V8? I have seen those same style radiators setup for V8 engines but they are 3 times the price. Has anyone else had this issue or done this swap and have advice from their own experience? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Lot of people run the original radiator with a v8 if it is in good condition. There are aluminum radiators
    on that auction site for this application quite cheap if you want to take the risk with a cheap radiator.

3. Pinky1492

Pinky1492

I actually dont have the original but I'm going to buy an original fit from a good brand, not cheap but still a well known brand. If an original works just fine then I will buy a new aluminum radiator with an extra row to be on the safer side

4. U.S. Radiator has those original fit/style truck radiators, several versions,(orig. motor, V8, and desert cooler versions. reasonable and have had good luck with several of them over the years,,,,these are not aluminum.

jimmy six likes this.

5. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

My 48 runs a 48/53 "mountain"/ heavy duty radiator, from any number of Chevy parts dealers. 75,000 miles, mechanical fan (back up pusherfan for BAD traffic) 180 degree thermostat 0 problems. On the other hand, pay attention to RUSTY 1---- The guy knows his stuff!!! Bill

6. Pinky1492

Pinky1492

I have seen the ones from U.S. Radiator but the V8 specific radiators are triple the price of an original with a 3rd row. If I absolutely have to then I am willing to pay the extra money for the V8 specific radiator. Just wanted some advice from others before making my purchase

7. cometman98006

cometman98006

I had a stock radiator in my '41 chev with a 327 V8 and it was prone to hear up if not moving. Had to it flushed etc.
    still a problem so I took it an old radiator shop (did work on a lot of big trucks) and they suggested I put a modern core in it, said it would improve the cooling by about 25 %. Now as long as the electric fan is working, no problems.

8. round2it

round2it
    from duvall wa
    1. A-D Truckers

ive got an old 6 cyl radiator in my 49 3100 with a built 327. its been in there over 40 years and still doesnt over heat or leak. but its an original coper core (?) built by an old time radiator shop.

9. Pinky1492

Pinky1492

I did call a radiator shop owned by an old timer who still rebuilds radiators and told him my situation, he did say most people add a 3rd row to their original copper radiators after a V8 swap. Also said copper is preferred since they last longer. But I figured if I can already buy a new radiator with a 3rd row then maybe it would be the same for less of a price than paying the $450 he would charge to add it himself and do whatever other services to the original which I would still need to buy used from someone else since I dont have an original

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Pinky1492

Pinky1492

Thank you for the link. I wonder if it would work for the 350 I have

12. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

The only problem I recall was the original 6 ran a smaller top hose diameter than a v8. My local NAPA dealer let me peruse his back room and I found a hose that worked. Bill

13. ...on that small upper radiator outlet, I just slip a short piece of hose on it that fits; then slip a hose over it that fits it and the thermostat housing.
    You can also use the old Chevy 216/235 thermostat housing on a Chev V8 manifold so you have the same size on the thermo housing as the radiator...

14. I would add that the radiator with more rows will be thicker. So you might want to be sure it will fit between the core support and fan. A shroud is always a good thing to add.

15. Pinky1492

Pinky1492

Thank u guys for the tips, it will have an electric fan so the fitment shouldnt be an issue but to be on the safe side I'll double check the thickness and my clearance before the install

16. I run one of those cheap ebay alum radiators in my 52 GMC, stays nice and cool even with A/C.

Jibs likes this.
  17. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

IMG_3204.JPG Ran a U. S. Radiator Desert Cooler on my 48' big block, automatic, a/c, mechanical fan and never had a problem even when towing

18. Pinky1492

Pinky1492

But are you running V8 specific radiators or Inline 6 specific radiators with a V8 motor?

19. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I believe mine was specific for an AD truck but with a v8 application.

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd just buy a '55-'59 gen Chevy truck radiator for a V8 and bolt it in. They're almost identical size, and close enough to easily be used for a V8 swap into earlier Chevy trucks.

21. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drove my '53 with a small block for 20+ years with the six cylinder radiator and no problems. If you get an original and not a reproduction I would check what pressure cap they used. Seems to me that was a low pressure system, stick a 14lb cap on it and you might blow up your new old radiator. Actually if you get a reproduction it wouldn't hurt to see what it's rated.

22. Pinky1492

Pinky1492

By any chance does anyone have experience with a Mishimoto radiator on theirs?