Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is there a trick to getting these repro 41 caps to stay on the damn wheel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Jul 14, 2020.

1. the-rodster

the-rodster

2. catdad49

catdad49

I think your right hand may have found the answer! Did you have different caps that stayed on? If so, do a comparison. I have had two different sets of caps on the Model A and they are a bitch to take off (and put on). That's all I got, Carp.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

The ring that holds those on gets bent inward easily and then makes them pretty much impossible to put on. You can try bending it back.

4. I have one cap on my 39 that liked to come off randomly. the rest always stay put. I ended up putting a dab of clear silicone on each nub on the inside of the wheel center and snapped the cap on before it cured. Stays on now till I pull it off.​

dirty old man, 3340, X38 and 4 others like this.

5. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

I've got those same wheels and caps on my '40. I always make sure the caps are put on tight and well seated, but still I've lost two on busy highways, always in places where I can't pull over and retrieve them. I'll have to try that silicone trick.

dirty old man likes this.
  6. the-rodster

the-rodster

Yeah, I've tried bending that lip out, and it didn't help.

It's like they will stay on when you first put them on, but once you pull one off... it will never stay on again.

I lost this one yesterday going around a curve to the right. It rolled under a fence and 50 yards into a cornfield. First step, determine if the fence is electric :)

7. The silicone trick has worked for me.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not saying yours is different, but Wheelsmith's repo caps only fit their wheels. When you compare the backs of your caps are they all the same? Will one of the other ones fit this wheel and stay on. Could be the wheel and the the nubs could be welded on and reground if they are worn just enough to cause the problem.

verde742 and Hnstray like this.
  9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Just went through that on my V8 A, running 46-48 hubcaps on stock Ford wheels and one came off. I walked back and picked it up and didn't see anything wrong so put it back on and it came off again in less than a block. Took it home and tried to straighten the flange and finally gave up and ordered a replacement.

3340 likes this.
  10. Rich, don't touch the fence, just wizz on it. :D HRP

11. A Boner

A Boner

Is the damn wheel an original FMC or repro (brand)?

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Back in the 60's I always bought the high dollar set from JC Whitney, seem to remember $8 set of 4 and they stayed on well as we were using OM wheels, but on occasion I would have to glue one on, I cannot remember what type of silicone from back then, worked real good, usually damaged the moon when you took it off and had to spend another $2 LOL Guessing your using repop caps, from my experience the china stuff is rarely made to a correct dimension or aftermarket wheels require specific caps to match. Today we have so many good bonding products that cap will not fall off. Good Luck

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    jimgoetz and dirty old man like this.
  13. the-rodster

the-rodster

FMC

14. Rich, try wrapping the inner lip of the hub cap with duct tape, It helped with my problem. HRP

da34guy, dirty old man, clem and 2 others like this.
  15. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Repo metal is much softer than OEM , bends too easy.

16. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Those repop caps are all terrible. The lip doesn't have any spring to it, they just bend.

High test 63 likes this.
  17. Packrat

Packrat

That is what worked for me also.

18. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Don't laugh, but I also used the duct tape trick and haven't lost a hub cap. I cut about 3 or 4 strips about 2"x1" and placed them on the hub cap where the tabs on the wheels grab it.

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That’s why I hate hub caps. Give me a aluminum wheel anytime.

The duct tape works, black vinyl electrical tape does, too. I had a set of ET wheels with the push in plastic caps, a couple of them got to where they were coming off. Wrapped them with black tape, never lost one again.

1934coupe likes this.
  20. The only apparent good thing about repop hub caps is that they resemble the original hub caps....

21. 3340

After the cap is seated with both hands twist the cap that works for me, silicone is a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

dirty old man and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. ...I've cut a short piece of vacuum hose, maybe a 1/4 " outside diameter, about 1" long, silcone/glue it to the cap, position it at one nub on the wheel, snap on...seems to work fine,don't need one at every nub...

23. the-rodster

the-rodster

I tried the duct tape, I made it 100 yards farther this morning, before it went rolling....
    Rich

dirty old man and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I talked a kid into doing that one time back in the day. My Dad beat my ass and the kid got a sting on his pecker. I just told him to do it to teach him a valuable lesson:p:D

25. Rich, maybe try some friction tape, that stuff is sticky, run a few rounds around the lip of the hub cap, last resort, Krazy Glue. :D HRP

26. error404

error404
    from CA

do you have a welding machine?

:D:D:D

Blue One likes this.
  27. I bought a set of repo 46 caps and one was slightly smaller, it was for a different ford wheel. The other three were good and tight. Check you have the correct caps. JW

28. the-rodster

the-rodster

Yes. Now what?

29. A Boner

A Boner

It’s an official Ford Licensed Product...made with CCP steel!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m not sure I have a solution for you.

I have a set of Wheel Vintiques 14 series gennie wheels and also their 42 Ford caps.

They snap on securely and stay on.

I have heard in the past that the reproduction caps don’t work well on original wheels and it seems that your experience is proving that to be true.

Wheel Vintiques make their caps to fit their wheels in 2 different sizes and they do fit well.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    1934coupe likes this.