Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best thread sealer for aluminum fittings into aluminum fuel pressure regulator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pa G., Jul 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Pa G.

Pa G.
    from CT

Thread title says it all. Aluminum fittings screwed into Summit aluminum fuel regulator. NPT threads. Best sealant to use. I have Permatex Form a Gasket and Permatex thread sealant with PTFE. PTFE sealant says nothing about being fuel resistant. Is there better stuff? Did a search here and on Google and found conflicting info. Thanks for any recommendations.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would use the thread sealant that you have.

squirrel likes this.
  3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

squirrel likes this.
  4. Personally, I'd use teflon tape, just being extremely careful to keep any stray bits of it from getting into the fuel system. Aluminum-to-aluminum threads are about the worst there are for seizing, followed closely by stainless-to-stainless.

There's no danger of the tape being washed away like any liquid sealant.

low down A, clem and Hnstray like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I've always used the paste thread sealer, it works fine. I really don't like to use teflon tape on car stuff....it's not like plumbing a house...those stray bits can cause problems.

6. My former employer banned teflon tape on anything but chlorine systems years ago; used correctly it's good stuff, but too many people don't know the correct way of installing it. I've used thread sealant with PTFE for years with no troubles. But YMMV...

Budget36 and DemonTweaks like this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

There are job specific liquid thread compounds that are correct for each automotive use , htape can lead to leaks when tape fails , and it does fail ..don't want that on a brake or fuel system .....ever !

8. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

a thin wrap of Teflon tape and a little bit of True Blue thread sealant has always worked good for me, especially Stainless on Stainless applications

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Permatex thread sealant seems to be good stuff.

10. I ain't skeered of no Teflon tape. :rolleyes:
    The first wrap should leave 3 to 4 threads exposed, then bring it a little forward for the second wrap leaving 1 to 2 threads exposed, then feather it back again from the end for the third plus any other wraps. The fact that you are dealing with a tapered thread makes it even safer.

low down A, warbird1, Fordors and 4 others like this.
  11. RmK57

RmK57

Wont need much of whatever you decide to use, there's only 5-6 lbs. of pressure.

12. Form a gasket seems to be your best choice of what you have. It is fuel resistant and non hardening.

13. Pipe threads should seal naturally. That being the case all that is needed is something to prevent the threads from seizing.
    I would use automotive anti-seize or plumber pipe joint compound to lube the threads.

Phil

302GMC, 427 sleeper, alchemy and 3 others like this.
  14. lake_harley

lake_harley

+1 on The Shift Wizard's answer in post #10. A friend of mine is building an airplane and had nothing but leaks on all kind of fittings, included some into his aluminum landing gear which is "gun drilled" for brakes. In the course of following the advice of manufacturers and suppliers the leaks continued. In the case of the brake fittings, we used a tap to try to rid the female threads of burrs and imperfections, and used a die on the male fittings to do the same. Still no joy. Enter teflon tape properly applied so that it did not extend to the tip of the male fitting to get into the passage. Problem solved.

In plumbing a lot of Sch 80 PVC at a previous job, installing high purity water systems for kidney dialysis centers, we almost exclusively used teflon tape, again installed properly, and sometime, especially on fittings larger than 1", a light coat of teflon based pipe sealant over the teflon tape. That was mostly on male PVC fittings, but we rarely, if ever, had any leaks.

Granted, what I've just talked about is not a gas line, but my money is still on teflon tape used properly. A minimum of 2 wraps and preferably 3 to 3 1/2 wraps.

Just another opinion based on my use of teflon tape.

Lynn

Fordors and egads like this.
  15. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I use plain ol engine oil. NEVER had a leak.

Teflon "paste" is a good choice.

Teflon "tape" is all but useless. The mating threads just push the tape back as the two parts are screwed together. It was originally made for plumbers. I had a plumber show me, MANY...years ago, what actually happens to the tape. The ONLY reason he had a role in his box of goodies, was to show people what it "doesn't" do.
    BUT, he had a well used can of Teflon paste in his box of tools.

My little roll of Teflon tape lasted me about 10 years before I finally got tired of moving it. I finally tossed in in the trash.

Mike

16. Pa G.

Pa G.
    from CT

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

17. If it was 'useless', they would have quit making it years ago. If it's not working right, you're not using it right. I don't use it willy-nilly, but used correctly it works just fine.

One place it works really well is on brake bleed screws. If you've ever had issues when using a vacuum bleeder and can't stop getting bubbles, pull the bleed screws and wrap them in teflon tape. Makes all the difference in the world...

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been only using Loctite 565, for years. If allowed to cure for the suggested period, it will seal a square peg, in a round hole.

19. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

A LOT of things are made just because people THINK something works..!
    Myth, legend, wives tale...

Ever heard of these ?

I've helped WAY too many people figure out fuel (mostly) and oil problems that had Teflon tape as the problem culprit..!

I'll never use it, and I never recommend anyone else to use it...!
    Your equipment, your time, your money...do as YOU like.

Mike

Crazy -
    Reread my post, "plumber" the main guy that this stuff was made for showed me its problem. No magic, no smoke and mirrors, just fact by a guy that should know better.
    And...he didn't leave me hanging about what TO...use. Teflon paste..!

6-bangertim, Truck64 and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  20. clem

clem

I’ve used Teflon tape for 36 years on a weekly basis, many many different applications and pressures, (on my own stuff, not something driven out the gate never to be seen again), and yet nether ever had an issue or failure with it. - Each to there own.

Fordors, lake_harley and egads like this.
  21. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

"A lot of things are made because people think something works " Popiel pocket fisherman , some harbor freight merchandise , whole buncha stuff on eBay LOL

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

You guys realize that teflon tape is designed to lubricte the threads not act as a seal right? Pipe threads done correctly are supposed to seal on the roots and crests of the threads.
    Teflon tape sure causes problems in carbs, hydraulic pumps and things like it.
    Loctite thread sealant works well.

warbird1, 1946caddy and rockable like this.
  23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Ever notice all the bluegrass seed put out by retailers in the Spring?

It's actually a crappy time to try and grow bluegrass, for a whole bunch of reasons. The Fall on the other hand, is the best time for this ... for a whole bunch of reasons.

But, it's expected by people who mean well but don't know any better, and a retailer who does know better would stand to lose a lot of business. So bluegrass seed gets put out like clockwork.

24. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

Loctite 577 is a safe choice. It is the only thread sealer that i know of that is certified for both Gasoline and Ethanol.

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  25. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

NPT type threads should seal without anything applied. However a bit of joint compound lubricates the treads to aid in tightening. I use the white joint compound found in the plumbing department at Home Depot or Lowe’s on everything. The exception is in higher heat applications I use a copper based joint compound. You only need a small dab then spread it around the whole diameter with your finger. If there is excess coming out of the joint when tightened you probably used too much.

26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I never had much luck with teflon tape, it always just peels back as you thread in the part. Found that the paste type sealer worked better on home plumbing. Then I found this stuff at ORiellys for about $6. I use it on everything except PVC pipe. It is the consistency of honey and goes on threads well. As you tighten it will push out some and leave a circle around the thread. You can wipe it off, or wipe it mostly off and leave a seal at the juncture of the two parts......or just leave it all there if its somewhere that you don't see. I have had really good luck with this stuff, so for $6 some others out there might want to give it a try.
    Seal All 1 001.jpg

Gahrajmahal likes this.
  27. I think many have lost sight of what the OP is doing... a aluminum-to-aluminum joint. Yes, a pipe thread shouldn't need any sealer, in most cases sealer is merely 'insurance'. But I've seen aluminum-to-aluminum installed finger-tight which then galled when trying to disassemble it, destroying the threads, much less tightened to spec. So a anti-seize is definitely called for.

Mike's 'plumber' claims it's 'useless'. To be honest, in 30+ years of working all kinds of construction I don't recall ever seeing a plumber use it. On the larger NPT threads they use teflon tape doesn't work all that well. But who does use it, Instrument Fitters, use it almost exclusively. A lot of their stuff is 1/8 and 1/4" NPT, many times stainless-to-stainless which is nearly as bad for galling. Plus they have to insure that it can be removable for maintenance without any drama. The anti-seize properties of teflon tape insures that.

Teflon tape also has one attribute that none of the other mentioned sealants have; being a non-hardening solid to begin with, if you do need to open the joint it's easily cleaned off. And once installed, you can peel any excess right off.

Posts 10 and 14 have direction on how to use it, and there's plenty of videos on the 'net showing how to use it. The one caveat I'll mention is some of these get carried away with how much they apply, on the smaller pipe sizes (up to 3/8") two wraps will be plenty and use plenty of 'stretch' so the tape gets into the threads.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Truckdoctor Andy and warbird1 like this.
  28. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Good post Steve. I should have mentioned that the sealant I recommended does not lock a thread so it can't ever be undone, and it does seem to provide a little lubricity when assembling. Then whatever stayed between the threads dries to a somewhat hard seal. I usually don't use it on fuel lines because I use fittings that don't need any help. There are other fittings and stuff that don't always fit as well as I would like and this is my go-to with them.

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've always used teflon tape, and never had a leak.

egads likes this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you want the best, here it is. I use this stuff and it’s really good.
    I‘ve used it for all my fuel fittings and all my other pipe threads too.
    Gasoila
    https://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/product/gasoila/gasoila-thread-sealants/thread-sealant-ethanol

CAAD5674-328F-4AAF-ACB3-9A7502CA830F.jpeg

alphabet soup likes this.