Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Red light/gas station talk.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratty_aussie, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Why yes it is.....
    a few years ago in Westminster, remember when we had swap meets and car shows? back in the good old days.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it For Sale? No! But I will part with it if you pay the total of all the receipts I have in a folder..

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  3. LAROKE

LAROKE

Cool Mon! I had a 8 volt Apache just like that in Jamaica, Mon! Me sitting at the light in my '55 Chevy truck thinking where to begin with this guy. finally I just say "Cool Mon." back to him.

4. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Reading some replies here, I think I look at this subject differently, I take it as a compliment if someone wants to talk about my old cars and I am rarely offended when a non car person talks silly about cars, as long as they are not "that guy, the expert" I'll talk with people as not everyone has car knowledge and our old modified cars are greek to a lot of people. Being a smart ass, rude to people does not do our hobby or anything any good IMO. I like passing on words of wisdom from my MOM a great lady. " If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything " " Be nice to people, it does not cost anything "

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

"Are your shocks broke ?"

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

---Don't get me wrong...I love when ppl ask about my car. I built it. I know everything there is to know about it. But some ppl just don't 'get it'. They see a dangerous traffic hazard as opposed to all my hard work.

8. LAROKE

LAROKE

Sitting at the light in my '37, old guy in a Lexus with grandkids in back seat calls across his wife to me "What year is that?" I said "37." He called across his wife again "She's a 37 too but I like yours better." Lucky for me the light changed just then.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

I had my 63 Chevy BelAir 2 door post car out for a drive and stopped for a red light. A woman driving a Volvo tapped my rear bumper. I got out and asked her "what the Hell are you doing". She replied " my father had a car like yours". Like that made it all OK. Fortunately the Volvo had a flat plastic front end that didn't cause any damage. Just something that happened when I was out driving and minding my own business.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Studebaker, because of the slanted windshield from the chop. Why did you chop it? Those trucks are rare.
    I'd be far more worried about people if they just walked past with their nose in the air and didn't make a comment good or bad than over all the strange comments comments.

The only one that bugs the crap out of me is the constant "what's it worth'? BS Used to be in the 70's kids ran around car shows looking at speedometers and hollering at their buddies "this one will go 140, this on will only go 80, That one can go 120". Now 10 year olds walk up and the only thing they want to know is "what's it worth?"

11. wicarnut

wicarnut

My wife's car got more conversation, attention than any car I've ever had. It seems Everyone had a Buick story to share, including myself. my Dad liked Buicks. Gas stations, car shows, this car was always a hit, maybe we should have kept it, but we sold it 3 years ago, I thought it would have been a great RestoRod project, but at this time in my life I was fearful I'd never get it done. Getting old is it's own set of problems.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    knucklenutz, belair, i.rant and 4 others like this.
  12. j3harleys

j3harleys

Here's your sign.:D

41 GMC K-18 and flatheadpete like this.
  13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

@Mr48chev I was one of those speedometer kids. Man was a studebaker hawk cool!!

Now the whats it worth/how much did it cost crowd, they're the ones that irritate me. Moreso than the ones who tell me how they would have built my ride differently

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  14. unfinished

unfinished

I'm pumping gas in my avatar and a girl looking to young to drive who was at the next pump over exclaimed "I just love your PT Cruiser". She came over and really smoked it over and repeated that two more times. I began looking around to see who I knew that would put her up to this....she was serious. I just said thank you ma'm I'm a little fond of it myself.

15. Slopok

Slopok

My Uncle had a Hudson just like yours but his didn't have the fire sticker on it!:rolleyes:
    IMG_3090.JPG

16. RatPwrd

RatPwrd
    1. 37-38 Chevys

IMG_20181215_140342891_HDR.jpg Get lots of compliments, usually nice truck or cool flames, had a guy pull up next to me while at a light ask me "you Dad?" had to ask me three times before I realized he was commenting on my new personalized plate! lol ,lol My Dad owned it for 15 yrs, passed away from cancer, then I inherited..........miss you Dad!!

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a guy and his friend come up to me once while was sitting behind my 56 Ford Victoria at a show. He asked me if he could show his friend where you fill up the gas. I said OK and after a few minutes of pushing on the reflectors above the back up lights he asked what’s wrong. I looked at his friend, got up, said “nothing” and pulled down the license plate to show the filler. His buddy busted out laughing and I could hardly keep a straight face.... I guessing he thought it was a Cadillac.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I was leaving a cruise night in my '46 Station Wagon and I happen to have a Glen Miller, "big band" CD playing. A lady stuck her head in the window and proceeded to tell me how much she liked my car. She heard the CD and asked me if the radio could pick up modern stations or was I restricted to 1946 music.

19. Picked up a young guy hitch hiking, was driving my '40 Ford coupe with a NSRA decal in the lower right of the windshield. Kid looks at it and says "is this a Nash?"

ratty_aussie and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

95% of the time , What year is that?

21. Callmaker

Callmaker

When out in the Uni, its always, man thats a rare truck, what year is it? Then after they say they had one just like it, but their's had the 429 Y block... I just grin and try to move on politely!! The most often asked question is, whats under the hood? To that I just grin...

22. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

FF1ECF53-6630-4A7E-9626-4CF81831FA56.jpeg It usually starts with license, registration and proof of insurance please...

But seriously, depending on what I’m driving, it’s nice car or nice truck. Sometimes they’ll ask what year is that?

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Like the time I was working on one of my cars and my neighbor came by and tells me he had a Corvette once that he "put a 3/4 inch cam in it"." It was really fast".

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  24. Way before my time but “In the Mood”
    is one of my favorites. I even got the kids into it when they were young.

dirty old man, LAROKE and indyjps like this.
  25. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife was sitting our coupe (avatar) and an elderly gent says. “aren’t you missing some parts” quick as flash my wife says. “ no we have everything we need”

26. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

When driving my original Mini, I knew what they were going to ask and beat them to it by asking them, "What kind of car is that?". They just sit there with their mouth open.

Driving my 1950 Ford Sedan, I've been asked, "Did you buy it new?" I am a 1950 model also. Now, I probably look like I could have bought it new, but when I was asked those questions, I was between 45 and 50.

Driving the 50 once, a lady, after saying 'nice car', asked me wasn't I afraid of driving it. I told her that no one, including myself, could enjoy it if I left it in the garage. She responded, "Thank you."

Now for the best one. Back in 2005 I was returning from my Mom's funeral in Columbus, Georgia in my '50. I was leaving my brother-in-laws house in North Carolina when a fellow in a Cavalier started following me. I stopped at an antique mall and he came over and said he was glad I had stopped because he wanted to look at my car. He was 70 years old and said he and his brother were riding in one when they were kids and the driver wrecked and was killed. Anyway, he was really admiring my car and I asked if he wanted to go for a ride. I was running a full house flathead with open Lakes pipes and for his benefit I got on it a little bit. After the ride, he said he would live forever now and wait til he told the guys back home. His camera (Polaroid) only had a couple of pictures left and he was going to take my picture with the car, but I suggested why didn't I take his next to the car. I wasn't thinking, but I could have taken some with my camera and emailed to him. As he was driving away, I went in the store. I saw him stop and walked back over to the '50 for one last look. I felt good about making his day, and that's why you don't leave them in the garage! Ron

27. exterminator

exterminator

I was driving the other day in my 40 pickup when I came to a stoplight. Awoman in the next lane said she liked my truck- it was pretty. I thanked her and before the light turned green she gave me her first name. I did not know what to say since I was married and was twice her age so I said have a good day and we both took off with her turning on to the freeway and I driving straight. That hasn't happened to me since high school.:cool:

28. "How many miles per gallon do you get?"- me- ""all of them!"
    Now when I get the "How much is that worth?" question, I tell them "about $250, 000".
    They never question it, and we both drive away happy.
    Getting out of my old '37, This guy says "Oh man! Of all the Chevies, this is my favourite year! what year is it?"
    "1937" I replied. I could have told him it was an 1865 model, and he would still be happy.

29. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Most people are trying to be nice when they ask about your, so I try to respond likewise. My favorite response was about 40 years ago when I stopped at a country store in my 34 5 window. This old timer said "son that cars got them "Panty" doors" ! We sure liked em back in the Day. Later Bill

Attached Files:

30. jockeyshift41

jockeyshift41
    from Florida