Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940/41 Ford truck cab mounting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by truckeroy, Jul 14, 2020.

1. truckeroy

truckeroy

I picked up a 41 Ford truck project that has a custom boxed frame. My question is mounting the cab. I know the stock used wood and springs. I have had Chevrolet trucks and they didn't have springs. I've thought about using urethane bump stops in place of wood and springs. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks.

2. 1940rpu

1940rpu

The wood blocks are tapered and provided good support for a long section of the floor. Are you thinking just round urethane bump stops at the mounting bolts? What are the benefits of urethane over the wood? There were not any springs involved in mounting my cab.

3. The tapered wood is essential in positioning the cab level against the frame which is not.
    As far as the bolts with a spring, I've had some p/u's with them still in place, and some that had only the bolt with no spring (had been removed-they come with bolt/spring from the factory) didn't seem to make any difference.
    If your custom boxed frame allows your cab to sit level against it, it would seem your urethane bushing idea should work, the difference being there wouldn't be the entire floor of the cab supported, only where your bushings are located.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Bandit Billy likes this.
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Under floor along the seat riser edge there is a slot that will take a 2 X 3 piece of steel from edge to edge that will give you tremendous support

5. truckeroy

truckeroy

Good idea. I was thinking about a wood 2x3 but the steel is much better. I found out from a frame mfg that with a boxed frame no springs are necessary.