Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Polished Aluminum Weiand intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Jul 14, 2020.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

Isn't there a spray to apply to polished aluminum to maintain the newly polished look, like an intake manifold and such? If so what is the name and have you used it or know someone who has? Doing this dual quad manifold and getting a little tired of keeping it shinny. HEMI 1.jpg HEMI 1.jpg
    Oh and BTW, see that bolt in lower left of the manifold where the throttle return spring is anchored?
    What is that for? I'm gonna replace that bolt with a pipe plug. This is an older Weiand intake that was raw that I polished out with Eastwoods polishing kit.

2. The only stuff I've seen that seems to work is a product called 'Shark Hyde', very popular with aluminum boat and Airstream owners. It lasts about a year before another application is needed, and how well it withstands heat I can't say.

Personally, IMO elbow grease is the only sure-fire way...

mad mikey likes this.
  3. Like Steve said, old fashioned elbow grease polishing with a good product like flitz. Ask me how I know. WIN_20170423_12_34_39_Pro.jpg

4. swifty

swifty

I had my tri-power manifold Jet-Hot coated. Any fuel, oil etc just wipes off. Had it done with the "chrome" type finish which is similar to polished alloy. HPC and the other ceramic coating mobs would have similar stuff. Ideal solution for "lazy" hot rodders LOL

5. This intake wasn't polished before ceramic coating and looks as nice as it did the day it was done 15 plus years ago. 0905152149.jpg

kidcampbell71 and chevy57dude like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

I think the bolt sticking out in the corner is part of a generator mount boss. I seem to remember usually seeing two in line, but maybe someone cut your front one off.

scotty t likes this.
  7. Gibbs Brand is not a polish but once you have an intake nice and shiny, it can help stave off pitting and oxidation. It might not be a bad idea to give the intake a quick treatment anytime your vehicle is going to sit unused for a while, like for the winter for example.

8. 34Larry

34Larry

That's what I've been thinking these many years also but wanted some back up from someone who knows.

9. BigChief

BigChief

10. 34Larry

34Larry

Thanks all for your input. Think I'll just polisher her out call it good once again and forget any coating.

11. Has anybody tried Rustoleum high temp clear ?
    Resistant to heat and gasoline.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You ever seen an aluminum wheel with clear on it after a few years? Yuck! And a pain to repair. Smooth polished surfaces have no bite for clear coats.

I have a shit ton of polished aluminum on my roadster and it requires some periodic polishing. Like @mad mikey said, Fitz, Mothers, etc , some elbow grease and patience. I bought some washable micro fiber gloves that work good for finish clean up and buffing after the heavy work is done with cloths. Good thing about polishing engine aluminum is it doesn't require a lot of thinking or eye hand coordination so it can be done slightly buzzed.

13. So, no ? You haven’t tried this product ?
    But you don’t like clear coats ?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, I have tried the product. I have used it on the underside of cars over base coats of ruddy red paint where regular clears might not like the hot exhaust, , I have used it on brake drums and calipers, suspension parts, firewalls, even engine blocks. I just wouldn't clear coat polished aluminum...with anything.

mad mikey and Crazy Steve like this.
  15. Thank you sir !

16. Nope, me neither. No matter what you use, sooner or later moisture will get under it and now you're faced with stripping the part and starting over. Want a maintenance-free finish? Have it plated, although that still won't insure it won't do the same thing, it'll just take longer... and be even more difficult to fix.

17. My experience as well.

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep. This is what I do. I polish em first.