Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration best time for route 66

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1930artdeco, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Hi All,

Looking at maybe doing Route 66 for a honeymoon . So what would be the best time of year to do it? It may have to be done in the spring.

Mike

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

my bet would be spring or fall. just before or just after the tourist crowd, when the weather is decent, not too hot.

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Route 66 is hot! Spring would be the time for me!

Bones

4. squirrel

squirrel

The only time I did the whole drive was the end of October, into November. The weather was decent, on average. Hit a storm in New Mexico, but it didn't last long. It almost got down to freezing that night.

I'm considering going on a really really stupid trip, which includes 66 at the end of October this year, in a car you should definitely not make the trip in. I don't know if it'll happen or not. It will be quite an adventure, if it does. And I don't really want to subject anyone else to it, so it would likely be solo.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I drove to Oklahoma in early May 10 years or so ago I ran into snow in the Sandia mountains east of Albuquerque and severe thunderstorms west of Oklahoma City. On another trip west bound I ran into a serious snow storm in Flagstaff in late October. So while spring and fall are the best times mother nature will still mess with the best of plans at times. Good luck and enjoy the drive.

lothiandon1940 and squirrel like this.
  6. pitman

pitman

No doubt another Fine-Auto Adventure!
    Ah, Pedals,
    Kilowatts,
    Diesel,
    Sunoco 260,
    Aircraft,
    or Alky fueled?
    No NOx now James,
    Recall those bent rods! :eek:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  7. There is a Route 66 fun run every spring (probably not this year) from Saligman to Kingman Arizona. We went on it years ago and had a blast.

8. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I would do early Fall mid Sept to Early Oct. Better colors and less violent severe weather to deal with. Even though severe weather happens in fall the worst stuff is typically spring.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and flatford39 like this.
  9. flatford39

flatford39

That's exactly when I would do it also for the exact same reasons.

65pacecar likes this.
  10. Slopok

Slopok

I would imagine that'd depend on when the wedding is!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Is it the don't want to hear members comments build? A pm will be just fine. :cool:

12. Thank you all for the info. The wedding is in Sept. but I have a feeling the honeymoon will be a year off or so. I would love to do it in my Model A but time does not allow it, so it will have to be done in a modern:(:(:(.

Mike

13. ken bogren

ken bogren

We've done both spring and fall. Both have their good points.
    Mid may to mid June has been good.
    Mid September to Mid October is also good.

14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We did our trip in two different times of the year, but never got to finish it in the Midwest. Early Spring one year to Arizona and we missed all of the Spring rainstorms. It was bright and sunny. Then, we headed back to the Grand Canyon and then home to So Cal. The second trip was in the Summer, around mid-July. The weather was outstanding, but a little on the hot side near Amarillo, Texas and into the OKC area.

From the OKC area we did not follow the complete route, trying to get to St. Louis before dark. We got stuck in a long traffic jam near the Fort and the Lake of The Ozarks. When we got off the roadway to ask what was going on, the local guy told us... the next time we are out here, "Don’t come in the Summer months."

Why? That is when the roadwork is done and many major roads have slow to very slow traffic. So, taking a detour and cancelling our Eastern direction progress/destinations, he told us of a fast road towards Kansas City.

So, we switched the direction of our cross-country trip and headed North and West. It was a new direction and we told ourselves, a change of plans is good. We go with the flow or what is facing us at the moment. It was something we had not seen/experienced in our travels. The rest of Route 66 and the planned extended road trip to the Eastern seaboard will have to wait its turn.

Jnaki

We never finished the Route 66 trip after getting stuck, so we have no plans to complete the whole route on our next trip back in that area. If there ever is a next trip back there. We still have relatives in the OKC and would like to find my wife’s old house from 1955-57. But, with this pandemic, that is not going to happen anytime soon. The Eastern seaboard, other than Miami to Palm Beach, is another story. We may never get to our goal we set way back then.

15. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

September thru Early October. Not so hot and usually dry. Storms are prevalent in the Spring months.

65pacecar and dsiddons like this.