Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who builds flathead fuel pumps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chiro, Apr 10, 2017.

1. chiro

chiro

I know there's a guy that we know on the HAMB that builds flathead V8 mechanical fuel pumps. anybody know who that is? I can't remember.

Thanks,
    Andy

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

3. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

4. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I just want to find a ethanol resistant kit. I find OEM kits, but as Jay says in the video, they have a short life.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Don't know if he's still in business, but this guy has rebuilt them with resistant components in the past: [email protected]

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Charlie ny on the Ford Barn does excellent work. Not sure he is a HAMBer.

7. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know a frigging thing about them as I just found the add when looking for kits that work with today's gas and they say they have those. http://www.then-now-auto.com/ Prices aren't cheap but their information on each kit is pretty precise as to what it fits.

9. Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  10. modeleh

modeleh

I got a pump rebuild kit for my 54 Capri from a guy who runs a mom and pop type outfit in NY. Super nice guy who was really appreciative of my business. His name is Hal Houghton.
    I presumed the kit would have the pushrod attached to the diaphragm but you have to reuse your old one. He gives great instructions and it wasn't a big deal. He will overhaul your pump if you're not a DIY guy.
    Has carburetor kits also.
    You may feel like the price is expensive, I think it was $56 for the kit which is really only a few gaskets, check valves and diaphragm rubber, but I feel we should try and support guys like this because there will come a time in the not too distant future that sons and daughters won't take over these mom and pop suppliers and we will really be in a pickle to keep these old wrecks on the road.

http://www.classicpreservation.com

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

I bought a pump from Napa for my 53 ethanol compatible 39.00 had it overnight.

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Petejoe and StrickV8 like this.
  13. Speedway fuel pumps are junk. I Bought a few nos pumps and rebuilt them with new diaphragms. The speedway pumps are poorly constructed out if inferior metals. One was shipped broken and the other failed on the engine. NOS pumps have better metals and engineering. Just change out the rubber. Worked for me.

14. adam401

adam401

I have rebuilt both the earlier and later pumps with kits from Vintage Speed. I have never honestly thought about if the kits were compatible with modern fuel or not so I guess I'll find out. What I can say is that they are a simple unit and anyone with a little mechanical ability can handle the project. If your core pump is already clean it'll take you about 10 minutes including opening your beer.

15. rusty valley

rusty valley

i bought a new one from drake one time. junk. the glass bowl was egg shaped and would not go on the pump unless it was clocked in the right position. then, it would leak there too. i had the bowl off and on about 10 times trying to see what the problem was, and once i must have twisted a bit, then the egg shaped bowl was stuck on. broke it getting it off, got another glass out of my junk pile to find that drake made his glass a little different size. broke the bail trying to make it work, much thinner material, then got a bail from my pile, finally got it on and not leaking after a couple hours of cussing. get an original and rebuild it

16. flatjack

flatjack

I get my rebuild kits from Mac Van Pelt in Ohio.

17. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Mike at 3rd Gen Automotive in Mcminville Tn does it for $44.00 plus shipping.Great Company and Mike is a real nice guy.He uses componants compatable with todays fuel.I'm sending him another one just for backup.Bob

18. Cowboy John can fix you up. I just got a fuel pump kit from him for my cousin's F-1.
    I see him all the time at Sumter Swaps. Good Guy!

https://cowboyjohnsautoparts.com/