Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Selling...freebie rides

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Hunter, Jul 12, 2020.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I've never sold anything that still ran.

bobwop, Barn Hunter and The37Kid like this.
  2. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i had a friend that had a mustang for sale once. it was one of those pace car ones. i don't know the year they were made. anyway, he lived in an apartment with a car port and a guy came over and asked to drive it. my friend gave him the keys and off the guy went. came back about 30 minutes later and said he would think about it. when my friend got up the next morning yup car was gone. guy went and had a key made and came back that night and stole it. NEVER LET ANY BODY DRIVE YOUR CAR WITHOUT YOU IN IT.

Barn Hunter and bobwop like this.
  3. 5window

5window

It might be that pulling a gun on someone who already had a gun out might not be the brightest idea. Unless you were prepared to shoot them as soon as your gun cleared. Not worth the risk and hassle for any car I ever owned.

4. 5window

5window

Up to you, but I am not getting into a car with a stranger openly showing a loaded weapon. Presumably I have a lot of cash on me , we're at a location you picked and I have no idea that you're not driving me to a secluded location to rob me-or worse. Sorry, No Sale on that one.

Barn Hunter and Blues4U like this.
  5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am always puzzled by those who profess they would NEVER buy a car that they couldn't drive.

I would never argue with them, but have to wonder:

1. if I took you for a ride, wouldn't that suffice?
    2. have you ever purchased a car at auction? No test drives there...and some bring millions
    3. why the objection? Didn't you check it over thoroughly? What could possibly be "hidden" from you?

And the latest: many car dealers (late model) are going to "no touch" sales. Some customers prefer to not see the car in person, to not process any documentation in person. The car is selected online, negotiated electronically, paid for electronically and then delivered to their home. Even the signatures are electronic and that is being accepted by DMV.

RJP and Barn Hunter like this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Buying at an auction is a different circumstance, going to check a car, sitting in the passenger seat, and the seller says no? Screw it. What is he hiding that he doesn't want me to know. I'll walk every time. What could be hidden? Really? About a hundred different things come to mind. The entire feel of the car, the handling, the steering, the controls, the brakes, the clutch, etc. etc. etc.....

I hope you let them know before they drive out that they won't be allowed to drive it, I'd be pissed if I drove some distance and the seller dumped that on me at the scene instead of giving me a heads up before I made the drive.

7. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Had a friend who had a pickup truck for sale,guy landed at his place in a bicycle,said he was staying at a cottage down the road,was looking for a car,so he takes the truck for a test drive,comes back says he'll take it,only he has to go to the bank tomorrow morning to get the money?.He asks if he could keep the truck to get to the bank in the morning,he'd be back by 10.30 as soon as the bank opened,next morning, no sign of him or truck,turns out he had broke into the cottage he was at,and trashed the place too.Buddy lost his truck,they found it 1500 miles away on the side of the road,it quit on them.it cost more to get it home then it was worth.They used the truck to get from PEI to Alberta,apparently they did steal another vehicle handy where they left it too. Harvey

Barn Hunter likes this.
  8. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I would NEVER let anyone take my vehicle without me in it.

9. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Some what OT, well maybe a lot, but here goes.
    I was selling a Travel Trailer (2 yrs old) last year and the buyer wanted to test drive/tow with his truck. Well, when you only have one potential buyer, what do you do? I said ok and away we went. He questioned every little movement and sound and even made sure he could back it up into his driveway. He felt his differential was getting too hot?!, so he wanted to get it checked and then do a re-test, I said ok. On re-test, we hadn't gone very far when he asked why his steering wheel wasn't perfectly straight. I almost said, "Let's take it back to my place and you can decide if you want to buy it or not!", but I bit my tongue and endured the rest of the ride. He stopped and checked diff temp and trailer wheel bearings with a thermometer gun. So much more to this sale, and yes he did buy it, but you get the idea. He was the only prospect and we needed to get it sold, so I was as nice as I could be to him. Next time I'll do a trade-in. Lol!

Now for an on topic one. Selling a 1964 Sport Fury III 2dr in 1977. Wanted $200 for it and listed for $400 in paper, one person comes to look at it. I don't think we went for a test drive, but he asks if I'll take a check. I said yes and he writes me a check for $400. Yes, it was good, I called the bank to check and then drove straight there.

One more. In 1980 I drove my OT 72 Pinto to McQuire AFB in New Jersey to catch plane to new assignment in England. Asked someone at gas station if he knew anyone that wanted to buy a car. He gave me a phone number and I called the guy. He mulled over it for about 2 hrs, literally kicking the tires and did a test drive. He wasn't very good with a 4 speed and was starting off in 3rd. I was asking $300 and somewhere during the 2 hrs I told him I would take $250. He finally said let's go to the bank. He withdrew $300, I said that I had lowered price to $250, he responded "I didn't hear you" and handed me $300. The AF would have shipped the car for me but now I had $300 to spend on a Mini in England.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

never draw on a drawn gun. that is a good way to get shot. even if you get the first shot off that does not mean he will not shoot back. real life is not like the movies. people don't drop the second they get shot.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've never had a car so special that I would not let a buyer drive it. I would definitely be in the car with them. not sure what the thought process is for letting them go alone

Moriarity, Barn Hunter and 5window like this.
  12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Yes, clearly stated that nobody drives the car but me. That is my insurance requirement. If it doesn't work for a potential buyer, that is their choice. There is no argument.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

But I have to ask: why is buying at auction different?

You are lucky to even see beneath the hood. There is NO WAY you can drive the car. I could tell you horror stories about the stuff that is passed off at auction because it is a one-way ticket, no recourse and you are not allowed to drive the vehicle until payment clears the bank.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Auctions have an obvious difference, it's not a 1 - 1 transaction, there is really no opportunity to provide everyone in attendance with a chance to drive the car individually, that is simply impractical. So if you participate you do so with that as part of the deal. Most auctions the vehicles sell for below market value.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Your insurance is what it is, but every insurance policy I've ever carried on my cars will cover other drivers that are driving with my permission. If it is a regular thing then the company would want the person listed on the policy, and there may (or may not) be additional fee for that, but the coverage is on the vehicle, not the person. Anyone can drive my cars with my permission and the car is covered against accidental damage and I am covered against liability. If your insurance is other than that, why? Have you had a lot of claims or something and that is the only policy you could get?

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

It is a commercial policy. I have 40 vehicles, or more.

Don't worry, I am quite content with this parameter. I sure the heck don't want some rookie driving a $50 or 100,000 car and damaging it. Tell me how you would repair a vehicle that is original and rare?

olscrounger likes this.
  17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

for BELOW market value? You are sadly mistaken

theHIGHLANDER, RJP and The37Kid like this.
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So obviously, you have a vastly different situation than the usual guy who owns a car or a few cars, and is selling one of them, the guy selling a car to put them money into another project or another car he wants to buy. Did I miss something in the thread that said we're talking about guys with huge car collections with unusual commercial insurance contracts that don't allow anyone but him to drive any of his 40+ cars? WTF??? Sorry for the miscommunication, but it seems were talking about vastly different situations. I guess I should've just known that. My bad.

Truckdoctor Andy and bobwop like this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Anyone want to explain why you want to test drive some total strangers 50-100 thousand dollar vehicle?

Blues4U and bobwop like this.
  20. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

this is why you don't let buyers take a test drive without you in it. i was selling a vw trike i built once and this guy i met at a gas station wanted to buy it. he came to my house and we whent for a drive, me driving. he gave me this song and dance how he had built several bikes and cars so i let him drive it. i was riding on the back. he did alright until we got to my house and ran one of the back tires into my trucks fender and bent the hell out of it, driving into the drive way.

21. mopacltd

mopacltd

Yes, I am always carrying. Guy came in with a friend and when we left for the road test, friend was still parked in front and in the car. Yep, I did not note the license plate number. My mistake! He drew first and I am still alive!

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've test driven 6 figure cars a bunch of times, as an agent of course. I'm not that flush. Then again I usually go in as a "known value" so to speak and actually have folks who are hip to my gig. As blues4 indicated, not the norm. As to the singular purchase/sell gig, yes indeed gotta have some level of people skills. It's been said, "If at 1st you don't succeed, avoid skydiving." So if you personally feel you suck at judging people or simply dislike the idea of selling and maybe buying too there's folks who can handle it for you. The cost is small in the grand scheme. When I do regular ol sales I take them out, let them drive back. If they're there the 1st contacts made the idea of a meet a good choice. How do you get to figure out buyers? Did they say wheels or rims? Did they ask educated questions like about known rust prone areas or mechanical fumbles? If they ask if the SBC in your 40 Ford is the original engine, well, you know. I find most people respond, buying or selling, to treating them like you're at least aquaintences and some respond to good old-fashioned buddy talk. Act like you know them. If they show up with a young lady in a nun's habit carrying a bible you might want to watch your language, but if they roll up with ink all over and 1% patch you're probably ok to be your own hardcore self. It's not that hard really, there's a common thread as soon as you place the ad and by and large we tend to feel folks are good natured and at least somewhat logical. As to joyrides, I've never had one be there just for that. Been selling since my teens and I can raise a right hand to it. Heard of it, never did it, never experienced it as a seller. Assholes are everywhere, stupid is a bigger pandemic it seems than this virus shit, but here in our world we tend to be gently insulated but you won't get a warranty from me on that score.

Short address to auctions and the like, guess what. Want to drive it? Call ahead, reach out to that auction company's agent for that car, it'll be ready to at least ride in if not drive. Now if you're buying on impulse at the moment, as-is still applies. And too, the higher end companies have a vetting process to see if they're selling something worthy and their consignment staff shoots pics, checks history, test drives, and more. In many cases you're not as far out on the limb as it seems. If it's Chunky Charlie's Collector Car Circus your results may vary, but Mecum, RM, Worldwide, they vet this stuff. Millions at stake over time and reputations can't be bought. Massive dealer late model auctions that shovel 1000 cars a week? Well what would you expect, right?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  23. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I don't share your level of confidence with major auction houses. I have real world experiences that would shake you to the core.

Gman0046 likes this.
  24. 5window

5window

And...?

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Bop, I didn't say 100%, but I rep for a friend or 3 now and then, been up close and personal with a few agents and cars that my folks were interested in. Like personal onesy-twosey sales you learn who the snake oilers are and the guys who want to stay in the game just like you can tell who's real about buying the Model A or 56 Chevy. Also when you're dealing in big iron a lot of them have known history that either you yourself or the auction company digs up. We've done ok and it's been a helluva run with me and my bud so far. We've bought and sold too. I don't care if it's a 5 star Cadillac dealer or someone that flips a 1/2 dozen a year, somebody will fuck up, a car will be shit, the fuck ups will do their best to cover their ass, but in the case of what I'm talking about not too many take a risk on a somebody raising their hand well into 6 figures with a premeditation of fuckin em out of it. Again, I'm not saying 100% but the game has changed. Also, when can I come and test drive one of those hot rod Oldsmobiles you keep finding...;)

bobwop likes this.