Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 5w Coupe project continue

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, May 28, 2016.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

leeroy-80.jpg Thank You Sir. Nothing special, just basic sheetmetaljobs. Today pass side is ready.

leeroy-79.jpg leeroy-81.jpg

2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hmmm..... this "forever" project is going slowly foward. Last November I worked with it one month, same year before that.... Now we are working few hours day. Due to COVID no american car meetings, no hot rod meetings, no drag racing.....so have time to "hammer".

2-3weeks ago we bolted together cabriolets twin sparkplug 21bolt 221cid engine and 39 DD tranny. After lifted in Oskar bolted on headers, driveshaft etc. I have fixed doors (shrink with heat), cowl sides etc.

We also dropped front end lower. It still drop about 1" more. Rear will drop more.
    We also straight frame from rear and installed ss tank and bar.
    Wheels are ready for epoxy primer (sandblasted, straighted with heat, removed hub cap brackets, weld few holes,...)
    Today afternoon will be better weather after one week rainy. Maybe I paint wheels later today. Yesterday arrived wheel adapters (5x5.5in - 5x4.25out) from USA.
    Today I start to straight and weld top after get driver door ready.

Aulis

rod-coupe44.jpg rod-coupe47.jpg rod-coupe62.jpg rod-coupe64.jpg rod-coupe70.jpg rod-coupe71.jpg rod-coupe72.jpg rod-coupe73.jpg rod-coupe77.jpg rod-coupe78.jpg rod-coupe80.jpg rod-coupe82.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  3. AULIZ

AULIZ

rod-coupe104.jpg rod-coupe105.jpg rod-coupe107.jpg few pic more

Aulis

rod-coupe66.jpg rod-coupe67.jpg rod-coupe83.jpg rod-coupe85.jpg rod-coupe87.jpg rod-coupe88.jpg rod-coupe90.jpg rod-coupe91.jpg rod-coupe92.jpg rod-coupe97.jpg rod-coupe98.jpg rod-coupe99.jpg rod-coupe102.jpg rod-coupe103.jpg

4. No wonder you're making progress, you've got GREAT help!
    That shot in the Gabriel coveralls is classic!
    Thanks for the update, your work is outstanding!

loudbang, Stogy and AmishMike like this.
  5. thirtytoo

thirtytoo
    from California

I have to say I'm enjoying following this build.

I'm curious if most of the Finnish Hot Rod guys, know each other. After watching the Flake and Flames Documentary, I got the idea that in Finland you pretty much all know each other.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. AULIZ

AULIZ

Finally driver door fits. I was straight and weld door frame earlier 1-2years ago, but never happy about how door fit its place. Friday worked all day long and now Im happy. One thing is that I have used some tudor/fordor hinges (frame side), because I didn´t have 5w originals. Cut, weld, redrill and -thread. First I pointwelded skin to frame, then You can start to shape door, twist,....
    Never 100% fit, but hot rods are made for driving not to classic car museum or trailer queen competitions. Friday evening they arranged here in Seinajoki cuising McDonalds field where is big parking area. 200cars, only two hot rod. We drive cabriolet there, Oskar´s first cruising ever.

Saturday we take easy play and just spend time. Today I continue with top, if afternoon rain is come here. drv side cabin corner is not right shape. Must do something....
    Aulis

- Thanks. That is good shot. Oskar is interested in, but I do not push him way or another. I do not want to make him "hot rod man" or "ice-hockey player".... He choose, I give posibilities. Sport, electric quitar, mechanical small repairs/maintenance,.... all are good basic for future life
    - We have had Hot Rod boom here last 13-15years. I do not know how much we have hot roddres here, but I can say more and more. Earlier I start to send hot rod parts from CA to Finland, when I lived there. I start to built my 1st hot rod in Pomona garage. Then I knew all finnish hot rod/street rod owners even I was never before in their meetings or member in their club (FSRA). I was sell hot rod parts very much 13-14years (finalnd, sweden, norway, germany...) but now a days I have been 2years without that "parts business stress". This feels good, very good.
    New car owners, builders,..... I do not know them , but I can see that hot rod / street rods are now very popular here.
    sorry, pics are not so nice. I use only old samsung phonecamera.

rod-coupe111.jpg rod-coupe112.jpg rod-coupe113.jpg rod-coupe114.jpg rod-coupe115.jpg rod-coupe116.jpg
    cab-65.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    alfin32, chryslerfan55, 35cab and 8 others like this.
  7. I am glad to see you are still posting. It is good to see your son spending time working with you in the shop. Many kids today think everything is disposable and don’t know how to fix things. Good skills for him to learn.

Stogy, The 39 guy and loudbang like this.
  8. fegsta

fegsta

You hit the nail on the head there!!! After my divorce I have travelled to Sweden the USA, and have time and money for all my projects, and nobody to say no to me. I raised my 3 kids now thay have kids of there own. And life is good. I would never say never again, but she would have to be very special.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. fegsta

fegsta

10. fegsta

fegsta

We got turned over when we went to litres it was about £1.70 a gallon then £1.70 a litre but beer is about £17 a gallon. Like the add says don't drink and drive. Your 5 window is really good keep us up to date thanks.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. fegsta

fegsta

Stogy likes this.
  12. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.
    4weeks summer vacation, good time to built own car. Next winter so much to do, so better if own car body has get industrial epoxy primer all over before autumn. Oskar has 5euro /day salary when he is doing homeworks and while help me. He ear some pocket money and buy something from Estonia when they there again after few weeks. He do not like candy or coke, so normally use his money skater, skateboard, football shoes,...

I have bought 4litre paint + harder 3years ago, so I know colour. I can´t tell You that, but I promise, if all goes OK You can see here color.

1) I left two ads in "wanted".
    - I need 1pr 1940-> rear hubs. Can be also hubs with OK condition drums.
    - I need 59A main bearing caps. One cap missing, I can change one or all three. Need to line hone. I don´t want to leave to metal recycling good condition cylinder block.

2) Years ago from Australia, kindly 1932 ford hot rodder, has send me some frame stuff. You promised those parts free, but Im rather sure that I have not paid shipping costs !!! Please, if You still read this, contact me PM or email. I want to pay those or at least shipping cost and send You pair of my S-curve lower hoses.

AULIS

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Today I continue with coupe body. Driverside rear quarter of top is now ready. Also welded all cracks and hammered some bigger dents. Tomorrow need to fix weldings outside and inside before can shrink with heat.
    Oskar heat some bolts rosted bolts and we screw those out.

Aulis

rod-coupe118.jpg rod-coupe119.jpg rod-coupe123.jpg rod-coupe124.jpg rod-coupe125.jpg rod-coupe126.jpg rod-coupe127.jpg rod-coupe128.jpg

14. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

You have an American Graffiti starter kit , a 1932 5 window like the first movie and a FED like the second movie

Stogy, Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  15. scootscal

scootscal

Aulis
    Great to see your builds
    Amazing works !, realy enjoy your post .... always great parts choice in your engines builds ,stance ...
    i'm work on my car ,do body work myself , paint ,mecanical ....
    But you are at the high level for me !!
    continue posting .....for sur .

Pascal

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

It is good to see you work on the coupe again. I am happy to see your son working with you on the project. I hope he has inherited your skills and will some day build his own cars!

17. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Sirs.
    Im on vacation all July. Nearly all meetings, drag racing.... are cancelled, so good time to spend time at home and enjoy. I have try to built my 5w project daily. 4-5hours day is OK. Specially morning when weather is OK. Noon, afternoon its too warm, then I "turn switch to vacation mode". I still hammer and shrink top, weld two small crack and it´s ready. Next need to cut trunk lid open. Rear quarters weldings need to grind (inside) and hammer, shrink.... Argh,.....

Monday I will drive 1935 pick up 10miles away from here. One man is piece car before I leave all that car parts to sandblasting.
    Pick up has been built 20y ago (1990 corvette LT1 + TH700+8", Total cost involved IFS front end....). Just ordered some restoration parts from CG Ford Escondido CA. Next winter that car will be welded and maybe finished, painted ready

Aulis

Nb. I left Ad. to "WANTED". Need 4pc 16" steel wheels 5x4.75" BC (Chevy). Can be same width or different (Fr/Rr). 16" bias ply tires needed too. Please, offer what You have. My container shpment is leave Paramount CA end of this month.

rod-coupe129.jpg rod-coupe130.jpg rod-coupe131.jpg
    Every Thursday 18.00 HD owners, from here Seinajoki city, are start their Thursday evening roadtrip. I followed them 10km same time when I go to see my friend who has own car paint company countryside. cab-66.jpg cab-67.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  18. AULIZ

AULIZ

Friday finished top. Now its OK for lead and epoxyprimer. Today I spray 1litre epoxyprimer on 17" wheels.
    Saturday - Sunday I was on the road. +800km (+500miles) with cabriolet. Too warm weather but not big problems. Original radiator is not enough when warm weather (+25dec Celcius), speed over 50mph when italmeccanica boost engine.... 40-45mph is ok.

Aulis

rod-coupe132.jpg rod-coupe133.jpg rod-coupe134.jpg rod-coupe135.jpg rod-coupe136.jpg

19. AULIZ

AULIZ

I bought those wheels from USA last December. Seller told that those are Dodge milktruck wheels.
    Now I note GM stamp backside. Few minutes ago I found more info from Hemmings motor news website.
    Those are Chevrolet Artillery wheels from year 1936.

I do not care if those are GM or Dodge stuff, if look good. I have removed hubcap clips, like more like clear (raw). (17" 5x4.25 BC)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1936-chevrolet-artillery-wheel&psig=AOvVaw3n_exNgYFqOI4zNtlTeT6m&ust=1595533202872000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCOiNpsDO4eoCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAO

20. AULIZ

AULIZ

Long working days , Thursday and Friday, fixed doors inside and outside. Doorskins are now very straight. I use MIRKA abranet, when I "plane" putty (https://www.mirka.com/SharePoint/Marketing/Communications/WebContent/MCALiterature/Brochures/Abranet brochure English - Dec 2015.pdf )

Cold and rainy days, so good to spend time in garage. Tomorrow I go to Finland Championship drag racing nr.1 (normally 6 competition serie, now only 3 race). Not race myself. They have rather tight Covid-rules there, so need to take own food and coffee in thermos.

Monday I spray those doors (epoxy primer).
    Aulis

rod-coupe137.jpg rod-coupe138.jpg rod-coupe139.jpg rod-coupe140.jpg rod-coupe141.jpg rod-coupe142.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    alfin32, chryslerfan55, brEad and 7 others like this.
  21. [​IMG]

That's the money shot!!
    Looking great! I love that car.

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Gammz and 2 others like this.
  22. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sir.
    I need to think, how drop front end 1" more beause rear must drop atleast 2.5". This kind of hot rod must have that outlook -> front is lower than rear. Swedish are say "Stuk (or Stug)" and Finnish have borrow that word when we say "stuuki".

Doors are now fit perfectly, better than my ex. 5w coupe (chopped 5w).
    Still today, Sunday, Im out of garage. There is drag race competition 20miles from here and I go there to see friends and smell Nitro.... My friend Vesa Lipponen race yesterday evening 3rd ever 5sec 1/4mile V-twin motorcycle (all over the World). Vesa has now done it twice and Jaska Salakari (nitrobike builder) has done it once. Jaska still has world record, but maybe not after this day.... when they + Vesa´s team work together. Yesterday 5.92sec 353kmh. from 1000feet to 1/4mile only one cylinder. It was cold weather yesterday, so they were drop down +600hp. Today will be perfect weather for new WR.

Cabriolet is ready. After Sunday morning sauna and breakfast Im rodding up to Kauhava race track.
    Monday I continue 5w coupe.
    Aulis

https://www.cycledrag.com/the-dragbike-run-heard-round-the-world-first-v-twin-five

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  23. Looks like a stock 32 front crossmember, and you're using stock V8 mounts.
    Guess that keeps you from using 30-31 Model A which would give you the inch you need, but kills the motor mounts. Can you raise the spring pocket in the 32 crossmember? Or use the A piece and add the 32 back wall and apron with the motor mount biscuit pockets? You certainly have the skills to do it. I'm curious as I wanted to do the same thing on my 32 sedan, but ended up using water pump mounts.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. AULIZ

AULIZ

I do not want to use A-ford crossmember. Original is nice and I want to use original 1932 ford front spring u-bolt kit. You can´t use original, if A-crossmember (need free space between radiator and crossmember).

Yesterday i spend fixing Italmeccanica engine which is bolted on cabriolet. RH waterpump leak strongly. I opened it, make some machinery jobs (straight surfaces, new sealing....) rather big job, but now looks better. Today more testdriving. Those Truck pumps have different bearing inside than 1row pass.car pumps.

Today I need to rebuilt more waterpumps. I still have two of those 2row truck pumps. Both leaks, so need to open and try to fix.

AULIS

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  25. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Looks like your coupe is coming along well. I like the use of the ladder to hang your wheels for painting. What I like most is your photo's of the kids working on the coupe. I am building a 5 window my self and my grand daughter sometimes holds wrenches while I tighten from the other side.

Stogy likes this.
  26. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello. This coupe is my first "no deadline day" project ever. Normally I want that car is ready before next driving season. In this case I try to learn new style to built car. No deadline, no hurry.

Oskar has been help me sometimes. I do not want to push him to hot rod hobby. School and normal kids hobbies are number one. Now he is again in Estonia. Oskar´s mother is Estonian and Oskar also has two passport. I try to support them to go there 4-5 times during one year. I have been travel all of my life, now I enjoy when I can spend time home. I want to visit in US, but now it´s not possible. Maybe next year.

Tuesday I was rebuild one waterpump more (2row). Today I continue coupe project. Same time I have piece my friends 1935 pick up. Car has been built +20y ago (1990 corvette engine+th700+8", FIS front end...). during this week I leave fenders, running boards, bed, hoods,... to sandblaster. Too many times painted, bad quality weldings, putty.....

Aulis

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Dick Stevens like this.
  27. AULIZ

AULIZ

Today I cut trunklid off. It has been two years welded on its place. I still once remove skin from innerpanel. There was 3 places need to shrink with heat. I turned 4pc 180dec. strips. Those will be welded around trunklid inner edge.

Tomorrow need to continue trunk lid project.
    Aulis

rod-coupe144.jpg rod-coupe145.jpg rod-coupe146.jpg rod-coupe147.jpg rod-coupe148.jpg rod-coupe149.jpg rod-coupe150.jpg rod-coupe151.jpg rod-coupe152.jpg

Stogy, chryslerfan55, x77matt and 7 others like this.
  28. AULIZ

AULIZ

Still need few things:
    1) pre 1948 fuel pump stand, 1-2pc
    2) hot rod cam, 1-2pc
    3) hot rod intake 1pc

Please, offer.

Rgds,AULIS

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  29. What are you looking for in a cam and intake? 59AB type I presume.
    Bill

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  30. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yes, 59A style Intake, cam, magneto (can be unrebuilt, I can recoil it)...
    Also need 1-2 fuel pump stand.

Interested 59a style heads. Can be old ones, I can grind surfaces.

Thursday worked few hours with trunklid. Friday -> Sunday I take easy and not open garage doors.
    Aulis

rod-coupe153.jpg rod-coupe154.jpg rod-coupe155.jpg rod-coupe156.jpg rod-coupe157.jpg rod-coupe158.jpg rod-coupe159.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Stogy, alfin32, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.