Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Red light/gas station talk.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratty_aussie, Jul 14, 2020.

1. What’s the classic go to comment/question you get when driving your old car? Red light, petrol station etc. “I leant to drive in one of them”, “nice Chevy (when you have a model a)”, “they don’t make them like they use too” etc. bonus points for pic of you car that goes with the story.

I get “how many bodies can you fit in the back of that thing?” My reply (looking them straight in the eye with zero emotion), “4 when they’re still kicking and screaming and 6 once they’ve sniffed the rag....”

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Tman, OzMerc39, knucklenutz and 18 others like this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

"Nice car. Can I take a picture of it?" Mostly at gas stations.

3. indyjps

indyjps

My cam / exhaust was loud enough you had to yell inside the car. Wasnt much talking to the next car.

If Im approaching someone. " Hey - thats a nice ride".. "da da da," seems to work for any kind of motorized transportation.

41 GMC K-18 and wraymen like this.
  4. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I enjoy it but Pittsburgh is very mechanically oriented, they usually ask if I have the regular 427 or the L-88 or they notice how well it handles and want to know what I have going on.. Cops usually ask if I race it and one wanted to race me in his new LS all wheel drive Caprice. He warned me it can do 10 seconds and it could, he blew the doors off me lol..

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

"What is that thing?' to which I say "Loud, fast and dangerous."

6. Cool car, what year is it? Followed by, a question or a guess as to what it is. All good natured banter and sometimes I find out about a stash or car for sale.
    26E6DE6D-B1D6-4998-A6ED-07F430F23818.jpeg

alanp561, chevy57dude, clem and 11 others like this.
  7. "My Grandpa had one just like it":rolleyes: FB_IMG_1571442492853.jpg

8. "What is that, an early Indy car?"......Seriously, I did have a lady ask me that. I was dumbfounded.o_O:confused: 1024151020 (1).jpg

9. Then she asked me, what's that car on the other side of your Indy car?:eek:

OLSKOOL57, alanp561, clem and 4 others like this.
  10. LOL, you can see that I wasn’t lying.

11. "Nice little dune buggy," (23T roadster).... That statement always put them on the ignore list.
    "Looks like it's a bit cramped" (27T roadster)..... "Thanks for your concern"
    "You build it?"... "Yes"
    "Wanna sell it?".... "Sure"
    "Nice ride".... "Thanks"
    "License and registration"..... "Sure thing Officer."
    I'm lucky now. My town's small, so there's no red light. And I fill-up at home.

12. "Oh my God! Did anybody get killed in that wreck?"
    "Is it legal to drive that junk pile piece of shit on the highway?"
    "That'll be a nice car when you get it done"
    And that's just my old lady's comments!

13. ............Yep. My Grandpa had a Sedan just like that.:rolleyes::D;)

14. Your point? I've been done this way here before. Is there a rule that if your topic is similar to another, then it's out? I looked at that thread you threw up there, i bet most of those people are either dead or haven't been here for years. And the last post was in 09. It'll be alright officer X38. Good work though

15. High test 63

High test 63

What do you do when it rains is no. 1 comment... " I go home and get my bike out"
    That is a small bed, you can't haul much in that.... " It hauls ass" i got that one outside of the bar the other day.
    Why don't you paint it?... No reply. IMG_20200713_072213329_HDR.jpg

16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

My Unibody Ford truck, "grandpa had one just like it" (mines slammed, metal flaked, lumpy cam etc...)
    Then the next thing out of their mouth "did you slide the bed forward and weld it to the cab?"
    My response, "Yep, just like grandpa did it"

17. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  18. wicarnut

wicarnut

My go to standard reply is "Thank You" as most people I've come across at cruises/shows/gas stops/store parking lots/etc. their comment to me is "nice car/kool car/beautiful car/etc." My Roadster/32 3 window/Mercury all similar comments. People enjoy talking about Dad's/Grandpa's/friend's car/their car or an Old Timer (I'm an Old Timer) about one they had in their youth, It's all good as I enjoy car people, for the most part car people are good /friendly/nice. When that occasional "expert" shows up with mouth flapping, I just ignore/walk away, No interest in talking with asshats. Again, I'm lucky, met many good people in/around car hobby.

Just Gary, belair, MO54Frank and 4 others like this.
  19. Except his was red and a four door

Ben

20. When I had this... IMG_2707.JPG ..."What size motor is in that thing?"...Me- "390"...Dumb-dumb says....."Why did you stick a Ford motor in there?'..
    Then this one... IMG_3050.JPG ... "What year is it?"... I reply with a puzzled look, "errr, 2020?"

21. High test 63

High test 63

Another one i have gotten often:
    Isnt it a little cold to be out in that thing?"... Once my brother in law asked me that, l said " aren't you the guy that owns 2 snowmobiles?"

22. j3harleys

j3harleys

Hey! a Deuce Coupe when your driving 64 Fairlane Or nice rat rod.

41 GMC K-18 and High test 63 like this.
  23. I usually get "I had a car just like that" followed by "but mine was (whatever color except yellow) and a four door. Sometimes they might say "I bet it's hot in the summer" to which I say yes it is, that's why my car has AC.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  24. Jokester

Jokester

My avatar, maiden voyage, barely running, barely drivable at a 100+ vehicle car show. "man, this is the best car here!"
    I called him a liar. Felt bad about that ever since.

.bjb

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Virtually everyone who comments about my truck likes it. Some ask if I'm going to paint it but most say don't paint it, leave it exactly like it is. Every now and again I get someone who knows that its a '39 not a '38. My standard response to most everyone is "it keeps me out of trouble" which it does.

41 GMC K-18 and wraymen like this.
  26. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

“Nice ‘38”, it’s a ‘32. “Thanks” is about all I respond.

“Nice rat rod”. The car was literally on its way home from the painter on the trailer. I had no response to that one.

“Want to sell it?” “Nope, this one isn’t for sale”. He offered me $10,000. Told him he hadn’t made it to the cost of the chassis yet. “No car is worth more than $10,000, none of them”. Thanked him for his opinion and drove off.

SPark

41 GMC K-18 and j3harleys like this.
  27. I was in the 57 vette, a gal came up to me saying “that’s my moms favorite car, what do you think it would auction out for?” I told her the last time it sold was 1962 for $1995. Then she just kept repeating that it was her moms favorite car, i didn’t know how to respond.:D

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  28. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

----Filling the tank in the trunk of my Shoebox Ford: 'Is that where the gas goes?'
    'Man...I sure hope so!'

Or...'What year is that Studebaker?'