Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration For fans of Robert Williams’ art...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seadog, Jul 13, 2020.

1. I watched it yesterday and really enjoyed it.

2. Thanks for sharing the link Tom. HRP

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for posting

Ron Funkhouser and chryslerfan55 like this.

4. 757882C7-8725-46E8-9474-EDBAF29760B1.jpeg Being 72 years of age,I heard of Robt Williams and his wife Suzanne “many moons ago” and always(for reasons unknown) thought of the pair as “weirdo Cali artists” but after seeing the above video tended to rethink my stereotyped view of him and his wife and have nothing but cool respect for them and their love of old Ford hot rods. I am glad I was able to learn much more of his personal views and beliefs,as I share the same sentiments as them—-the main difference is they are artists and I “enjoy” building and driving FAST flathead powered early Ford hot rods. Enjoyed the video—-it’s not easy to make an old man change his mind—but I changed mine and it was for the better! FLATHEADS FOREVER and congrats to you and your wife for bettering the hot rod culture with your artwork.After seeing the gr8 video of Robt., I now understand his reason for painting his Deuce roadster it’s “different” paint scheme.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So impressed with Bens new video work, great video

6. oilnrust

oilnrust

so eh? Rat Rods are traditional? the puts the cat amongst the pigeons:)

seb fontana likes this.
  7. j hansen

j hansen

I think I bought the poster 1978........it is still on my wall. Skärmavbild 2020-07-14 kl. 08.51.27.png

8. No, just a name Baskerville came up with (he was good like that) way, way after the 1965 cut off date for this place.

9. Colin HD

Colin HD

Back around 1983 I bought that poster from Robert at the LA Longbeach Show.
    Rob was signing them free of charge, I watch him sign the guys poster in front of me.
    He did quite a large signature in the bottom right corner in big black pen.
    I declined and saying 'no thanks'

SUCH A FOOL!!

j hansen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice piece on a legend of a man. Would have liked to see a little more on Suzanne and her ‘34. His work should be a part of any true Rodders garage. 7321085B-4A6D-4A95-B18A-3618E41BC42F.jpeg E9AAEEFA-D830-4702-BE14-343221D8225E.jpeg

11. That was the highlight of my week. Thanks. Really well made video. Williams is one of the greatest artist ever, my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i have some too. 20190213_121329.jpg thumbnail.jpg

Ron Funkhouser, jim snow and bowie like this.
  13. High test 63

High test 63

Damn! That video makes me wanna go bar hopping with Eastwood ,in my hot rod!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  14. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/robert-williams-artist-hot-rodder.1051134/#post-11920486 @HOTRODPRIMER

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/robert-williams-at-nhra-museum.1115600/#post-12664156
    @denis4x4

Hello,

Here are a couple of So Cal threads about Robert Williams. He is a cultural icon with his skills in art and hot rod drawings. Some of his stuff was not for the majority of folks in So Cal or elsewhere. While walking around the Laguna Beach Art Musuem way back then, there were visitors that wanted to be in this fabulous place, but were surprised at the drawings and displays from Robert Williams. They were walking around shaking their heads and looking around at the "odd" artwork all around them. My wife and I were chuckling at the faces of those visitors and the surprised looks the "cultural art" created.
    upload_2020-7-14_5-29-4.png

The artwork is pretty amazing and was well accepted by those that grew up in So Cal hot rod era. Everything about the displays rang true to those that were part of the scene, during the time and area.
    upload_2020-7-14_5-32-0.png

Jnaki

"The Laguna Beach Art Museum is usually OK for a visit, but this display of art including other genre artists knocked the socks off of the staid, traditional, beach scene artists in town. The displays were not traditional by any means or viewpoints. Robert Williams was right in the middle of the wild museum art show."
    upload_2020-7-14_5-36-51.png 1993 Laguna Art Museum

p.s.
    One thing the producer took some liberties with, is the title… “The Man Who Created The First Rat Rod.” Since the early days of unfinished hot rods and trucks, this takes a catchy title to the extremes. There were hot rod guys/girls that were around doing their own thing that most in this day and time would think the hot rod looks like a so called “rat rod.”

15. Robert called his roadster a rat rod, like the commercial of the artist doing caricature - and the subject say's" I don't see it".

[​IMG]

That car screams hot rod. HRP

16. It was said that they had a lot of onlookers that consumed mass quantity's of alcohol during the disassembly of Pete's car, possibly Pete will see this and fill in some of the blanks if he can remember them. :D HRP

Ron Funkhouser and High test 63 like this.
  17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Great shot, that's how the pros get it down off the jack stands

Tman likes this.
  18. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

My father bought me the poster with Roth and Barris on it when I was about 10 years old at a World of Wheels car show at a local armory. Still have it

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  19. Johnny99

Johnny99

That was fun! Thanks for posting.

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

if you liked that. You need to buy his book.

21. I could stomach rat rods if they were built and looked that good!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  22. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Thanks for sharing and haven’t seen that video it’s awesome and love his art!!

23. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Cool video. I have some of his posters. Love his work. Thanks for sharing that.

24. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I remember buying Car Craft & Rod & Custom in the mid - '60s just for the Roth ads. Of course, no one knew anything about R.W. at that time ... I bought a Zippo at the Navy Exchange in Yokosuka and had an engraver on the street do "Help Promote Street Racing" on one side. Soon after I got out, I discovered Zap comix, so I bought all of them I could find ... at one time, I had most of the posters, but gave all but one to a friend who needed them for the bar he was opening.

25. Here are a couple of photos I took at the 2014 SoCal Open House before the LARS... 140613_Friday Shops_2273.jpg 140613_Friday Shops_2360.jpg