Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Southeast Gasser 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Jan 19, 2020.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Not a fun type of a LONNNNGGG trip. Stay safe keep AWAKE.

Thor1 and Unique Rustorations like this.
  2. AmishMike

AmishMike

Safe trip drive carefully. When u back at work would love detail explain of what/how roller bearing coil over kit works.

Thor1, colbyw and loudbang like this.
  3. colbyw

colbyw

Safe travels! The cars looking good too.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike,

I am sorry to hear of the stress and strain in your family. That stuff is never fun. Please be safe on your trip, and as someone already said, treasure this time you have with your mom. I hope you will get an opportunity to talk to her about things that have real meaning and I hope that your time with her is blessed and well-spent.

Take care and be well.

Steve

5. Have a safe trip. Good luck with getting everyone settled in.

loudbang, dirty old man and Thor1 like this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Be careful and have a good safe trip.

7. Have a safe trip...traffic should be pretty light..we normally do that trip for 2 weeks right about now...Atlanta sucks, and Cincinnati depending on the time of day.

Keep the hand sanitizer handy, and I hope you have good AC...hot as hell here right now..and down there...forget about it...

we do an overnight stop in Macon in the way down and Knoxville on the way home...

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

We are home and it turned out to be the worst trip of my life time. My sister called me about half way down and told me that my brother had thrown my sister's boxes and totes out of the garage and in the drive way and locked her out.
    Now my sister is 73 years old and has just spent 8 years of her life taking care of my mom without a vacation or pay. Just a room to stay in and nothing else.
    Instead of my brother giving her a medal and a party. He locks her out in 93 degree heat and she has to call the cops to get back into the house.
    So just before I get there the chicken shit leaves and goes to a motel and turns his phone off.
    I get there and I talk to my mom for about 10 minutes and she says who are you and rambles on telling stories that I know are not true.
    So my family that I have known my whole 70 years is gone and over. My brother who
    I looked up to growing up is piece of shit and my mom does not even know who I am.
    We got my sister safely home to her sons house and we are back home and ready to start back on the Comet in the morning. Thanks for all of the notes of encouragement.
    The HAMB is more family than I have and don't even know most of you.

pwschuh, Gammz, das858 and 5 others like this.
  9. AmishMike

AmishMike

So sorry to read of your family problems. Many have similar experience & can only hope we do not all experience same problems. Head up & try to enjoy years u have ahead. Many do not have a hobby/interest to attack & stay occupied. Choose friends, can not choose family.

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Man, that's a terrible story, and my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. Must have been a terrible experience for you and your sister, and I'm sure that your Mom is upset and confused about the turmoil even if she is a victim of dementia.
    I lost my Mother about 20 years ago to Alzheimer's after almost 5 years of her requiring 24/7 care, so I know what you're going thru.
    Try to get some rest and then maybe when you feel up to it get back into your work and building your car. Let my pm request slide till you get your own needs tended to.

11. I always say be kind to your elders...one day that will be you...I believe there’s a special place in Heaven for those who treat people the way they would like to be treated...and Alzheimer’s/ Dementia are very evil...especially when the mental lose takes over a perfectly healthy body..I hope your Mom’s remaining days are filled with happy thoughts of her life..glad to see ya for home in one piece..

bchctybob, Randall, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  12. AHotRod

AHotRod

My heart goes out to you and your wife Mike.
    God Bless you both

bchctybob, Randall, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lost my FIL and an uncle to this terrible disease. My MIL sacrificed her own health trying to care for her husband. In the end he had to go into a home anyway and lasted only 3 months. 18 months after he passed ovarian cancer took her. Point is caregivers need to take care of themselves as well as those who they care for. My heart is out to you and your family in this time of crisis.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

So sorry to hear this.

loudbang, Dick Stevens, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  15. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Alzheimers sucks. Lost Mom once already. Then get to lose her again when God decides he wants her. My heart goes out to you and your family. It's a helluva battle to fight. Best of luck!

loudbang, Dick Stevens, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  16. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike,

I am so sorry that your trip turned out the way it did. Dave was right, get some rest - everything looks different after some sleep.

I will pray for your mom...and your brother. I too hope your mom will be able to think about good memories from her life and I hope your brother will realize he screwed up and work to reconcile with both you and your sister.

Hang in there,

Steve

17. loudbang

loudbang

Man I can feel your pain my mother had it for the last 15 years of her life. But I was lucky in one way I was the only one of my brothers and sister that she always knew who I was right up until the end. :(

enloe, dirty old man and Thor1 like this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well back to the Comet build. It's really hot in Tn. and working outside is brutal.
    I did manage to get my front coil springs in today and got my wheel bearings ordered.

enloe, AHotRod, Gammz and 2 others like this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

I tried installing my headers today . everybody is right big tube headers on a 65 comet is a bitch. Especially when it's 98 degrees and I'm working in the driveway.
    Going to give it another go tomorrow after I get off work.

enloe, Thor1, sidevalve8ba and 5 others like this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

Round 2 was hotter than the day before but I almost got one side on. Had to cut out some more of the fenderwell . Then had to pack up and go pick up the wife from work.
    Today I will have to weld in metal to stiffen up what I cut out before I put the header on . Then it's on to the other side. I had to take the motor mount out and the frame mount to get the clearance I needed
    to get these big tube Doug headers to fit the car. Haven't put any dents in the tubes YET !!

enloe, Crosley, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

EDIT: found the video test

Did you see the youtube where some garage guys started with a stock set of headers then went to town with hammers etc denting then a little then A LOT and dynoed that same engine and with the added dents and it showed no change in HP with dents all over until almost FLAT. A couple needed dents will make no change in HP or torque.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    enloe, dirty old man and Thor1 like this.
  22. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Been following your thread- great job!! Speaking of headers. I never see anyone squeezing tubes with a press. I did that once on a 3" tailpipe that was hitting on a 65 Coronet. ( I know different situation- but similar) When the tube is squeezed it becomes more oval than round and seems like you could gain clearance and still look good- not all beat on and dented.

dirty old man, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

I finally got the pass. side on yesterday. I did have to put a dent in one of the tubes.
    I started on the driver side today and knowing that I will have to trim the fenderwell I just started notching and welding up the places that I cut out.
    It looks to be even more of a bitch than the pass. side. At least when I did the pass. side I could slide the motor to make room. With the pass. side headers or it takes up all of the slide room.
    I already have the idler arm off and the motor mounts and frame mounts. It looks like I will have to take the pitman arm and driver side tie rod out also.
    It probably wouldn't be so frustrating if it wasn't 200 degrees outside. It takes so much more effort when the bolts are hot and you haven't even cranked the motor yet.
    Patience Grasshopper all good things will come. Putting an FE in one of these cars looks to be just stupid.

bchctybob, enloe, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  24. Ohhhh it was a joy putting my headers on my 65 289 Falcon..I bought the best ( Doug’s) and can’t imagine how the cheap ones fit....I bought the small head bolts with the serrated washers and the expensive fancy gaskets..I hope they don’t leak..that was a PITA...I took a shorty wrench and an angle grinder and shaved the closed end to fit and did the same on the open end..keep that wrench in the glove box...
    A53717AF-3A2B-4008-8364-A379619F3BC2.jpeg F5999F60-5DBE-40E3-B3E6-DCBDA28018FF.jpeg

bchctybob, jim snow, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Welcome to East Tennessee where it is hotter and more humid than the Devil's underwear :)

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Taking a break from the headers today. Have to work at the golf course this afternoon.
    Picking up my lug nuts and spindle washers. Will finish the front wheel bearings before work today.

colbyw, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  27. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my front hubs put together today between doctor's appointments and thunderstorms.
    Now need to to take back apart and replace the front studs . They are too short with my American racing wheels . Going to order from Summit . Moroso studs.
    Back on the headers today. I hope to have them installed today so I can bolt the motor back in and start wiring.

28. southcross2631

southcross2631

DSCF3735.JPG DSCF3737.JPG Doug big tube header thrash again today. I cut about as much out of the fenderwell that there is to cut and they still are fighting me to the end ,but I will not let them defeat me.
    I finally pulled the motor and transmission back out so I could weld back up the holes that I figured would weaken the front of the car.
    Whoever said they fit like a glove must have been like when O.J. tried on that glove at his trial.
    I am going to hang both sides in the frame and put the motor back in. I don't want to seperate the trans, scattershield and then have to wrestle it all back together under the car.
    Tough day at 95 degrees with high humidity . It looks like if I am going to make the race in Alabama it will have to be rough and ready rather than have a paint job.

29. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

break out the shoehorn and the vasoline.....whats the plan when the FE goes in LOL....

loudbang, enloe and Thor1 like this.
  30. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Paint jobs don't make it any faster.LOL
    Get'r done and have fun.