Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What ever happened to the 57 Plymouth (Mrs. Belvedere)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 13, 2020.

1. I remember the car being dug up in 2007 after being underground for 50 years and it was in pretty bad shape. HRP

2. squirrel

squirrel

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

The mob....like I said, it was a circus.

16mob.jpg

4. I can only imagine the case of Schlitz beer was flat or the bottoms of the cans had rusted away. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'd entirely forgot about that oops. I now remember it was a big deal when they dug it up. Wasn't Boyd and his crew there with intetions to fire it up once it came out of the hole? Only for a huge letdown of seeing it in water and rusting away. What a bummer, though putting it in a museum is more than I ever thought would happen with it from that time. Would have been a prime candidate for the crusher.

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

7. 54vicky

54vicky

the dig reveal was worse than capones safe drama drama let down

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

9. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Shit , i would drive it.

10. A Boner

A Boner

HaHa...back in 1961, I had a 57 savoy 2dr hardtop. It was bubbling rust above the freaking headlights...in 1961!!!

11. I read somewhere where the frame is shot. HRP

12. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

I was in Tulsa to witness the digging up of Miss Belvedere, as Squirrel said, a real circus.
    Items put in the glove compartment fell to the floor as the compartment disintegrated.
    Writings on the tire with a ball point pen were still legible. A glass five gallon jar filled
    with gasoline was in the trunk. I guess that in 1957 someone thought gasoline would
    not be available in 2007. Boyd Coddingham and his team was there to start the car, did
    not happen. All in all it was a good trip, as you don't see this everyday.

13. Twas kinda a big thing on here at the time

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and 31hotrodguy like this.
  14. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

They shoulda used it to make the Suddenly tribute car. At least it's the right body style, unlike the "clone".

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Fitting and proper...Boyd and the boys + drama not starting at the end of the show.
    Kinda...laughable? More...typical.

16. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Very low milage. Maybe it is still under warrantee? Lasted longer than most 57 Plymouths.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and 31hotrodguy like this.
  17. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

18. Squablow

Squablow

I think UltraOne, the company that worked on getting it de-rusted, actually did a pretty good job, considering it came out as a big orange fur-ball. It sounds like it's much rougher than it looks, but it really doesn't look too bad, at least for a display piece.

It's really a perfect car for a museum, since it's never going to be road worthy again, but it's quite a sight to see, with a great story to tell.

I'm really glad someone took the time to clean/preserve it as well as can be done, and that it's saved and on display for the world to see.

19. rusty valley

rusty valley

there was a similar story in hemmings many years ago about a guy who bought a new 54 ish vette and had a brick wall built around it in his shoe store. same deal, it was rotten from humidity sitting in there all those years

20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

https://bangordailynews.com/2013/01...brunswick-for-27-years-could-be-worth-175000/

https://www.corvettemuseum.org/cemented-in-history-1954-entombed-corvette-joins-museum-collection/

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Med...in-history-the-tale-of-the-entombed-corvette/

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/201...ins-the-national-corvette-museums-collection/

21. rusty valley

rusty valley

well, thanks for posting the corvette story. quite a different outcome from what i remember when the story first was in hemmings. i thought at the time they all thought the frame and much more was rotten. however, that would be from my memory, which is becoming more questionable by the day! thanks again.

22. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Damn, I must be living under a rock, I never heard of Mrs Belvedere until I saw the video and read the thread.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. You must have John, it was front page news for several weeks. HRP

24. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

The man who “won” the contest lived near Hagerstown, MD. His heirs, 2 ladies as I recall, were a bit overwhelmed by their prize. I guess they were more than happy to let the rust remover company take a swing at it. Last I heard, it was sitting around waiting for a museum somewhere to take it on. I think the Tulsa folks “buried” another car, Plymouth Prowler?, in a new stunt- but this time the car lives above ground in a car-mausoleum.

It seems she has found a home at the Historic Auto Museum in Rosie, Illinois. The City of Tulsa tuned her down.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. cfmvw

cfmvw

Actually, that Corvette was in pretty good shape; I knew someone who worked in that store as a teenager, and he said there was a trap door in the office above it that you could look down on the car from.

HOTRODPRIMER and rusty valley like this.
  26. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Where is the car now?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

The more I see 57-65 Mopars the more I like them.

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  28. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I like them to.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.