Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Ford Pickup Build U.S. Mail

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ratspit, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Ratspit

Ratspit

My project has finally gotten to the point where it's beginning to look like something so I thought it would be a good time to start a build thread. I found a 1934 Ford BB heavy on CL which originally came out of Montana and at some time in its life it transported the U.S. Mail. My plan for the truck is to build a flathead powered traditional hot rod using a mix of old and new parts. Since I wanted to make a fair amount of changes to a stock chassis and the BB frame is too heavy, I decided to start from scratch.

Here are a few pictures of the truck when I picked it up.

my truck2.jpg my truck 34.jpg my 34.jpg

sko_ford, LOU WELLS, brEad and 19 others like this.
  2. Ratspit

Ratspit

Oops, forgot the step where the truck goes from the trailer to the shop. 20171121_122804_1511303736022001.jpg

timwhit, brEad, camcrusher and 13 others like this.
  3. Ratspit

Ratspit

Next I ordered up a set of ASC rails, sold all the unneeded parts, and began mocking up the truck. my truck 4-18.jpg my truck 10-18.jpg

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it already.

-Abone

High test 63 and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Too bad the front axle was not included. It would have been the "heavy":rolleyes: front axle.

clem likes this.
  6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I would love to have my mail carrier JO-ANN drive up to my mail-box in that...
    I would not complain about the bills... go jo go !

High test 63 likes this.
  7. Looks like you sure got some good sheet metal with that truck.

8. awesome, doesn't even need painted
    lucky

9. The BB " heavy " front axle is a lot " heavier " than a passenger car / pickup front axle. It is not the same axle.

327-365hp and chickenridgerods like this.
  10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

don't know if you got the rear window garnish... same one from '30 to '34 trucks...
    they also used model A style 3 bolt window regulators...
    memory says '28, '29, '30, '31, '33. '34 were the same thickness axles...
    [not calling horseracer wrong..
    but want others to realize that I believe there are not 2 choices of '32 axle as has been promoted on the hamb before]...
    1932 was [taller] but the only place I have ever heard heavy axle is here... memory said '32 car and pick up were all the same...never seen one taller than another '32... I have been wrong, but .

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  11. HotRod33

HotRod33

Great looking truck.... You found a nice one.... Whatever you do please don't paint the cab and doors.... They are perfect the way they sit

12. You can't even recognize a pun? Of course they are not the same. A car is not a "heavy" truck.

King ford likes this.
  13. Ratspit

Ratspit

Once I had everything for the chassis measured and located, I took my rails and drawings down to Schroeder Speed in Portland to fab the perimeter frame. They had a 33/34 frame fixture and did a great job boxing, pinching, kicking, and sectioning my frame. chassis drawing 2.jpg chassis drawing 1.jpg perimeter frame side.jpg perimetr frame rear detail.jpg perimeter frame front detail.jpg

14. Ratspit

Ratspit

While the perimeter frame was being built a few surprises showed up in the mail.
    winters quick change in the box.jpg 20200712_102637_resized.jpg IMG_1980.jpg magneto.jpg

Tim, Fitnessguy, mgtstumpy and 11 others like this.
  15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Starting another project myself using a new Winters QC and new French FH block. Your perimeter frame is really slick. Looks like your using Lincoln brakes?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Ratspit

Ratspit

Good eyes Gary. And yes Lincoln brakes.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

How did that engine block fit through the mail slot? LOL

Tim likes this.
  18. Project is coming along, Got some nice stuff for a champagne guy on a Schlitz budget hehe

19. Ratspit

Ratspit

I decided to do a quick mock up of the rear axle and frame to get a rough idea if my clearances were going to work. At ride height I will need to "C" notch over the axles about 1.5" to get 3" total clearance. The tires are Lester 7.00x18 and the wheels are 5.5x18 from Rally America.

perimeter frame with axle and ladder .jpeg

20. Ratspit

Ratspit

With the perimeter frame ready to go I decided to build a chassis table. I used 4"x4"x1/4" tube and found a set of heavy duty adjustable casters on Ebay.

frame table.jpeg

tb33anda3rd, AHotRod, pwmcx95 and 2 others like this.
  21. Ratspit

Ratspit

Now for the controversial step. I made the decision to strip the cab. You can't see it in the pictures but the roof needed a bunch of straightening. The drivers door was wrinkled. And there were a bunch of spots around the bottom of the cab where the metal was thin. I dropped the cab off in Portland and had it chemically stripped. Here it is after I got the cab back.

cab dipped 1.jpeg cab dipped 2.jpeg

timwhit, 40FORDPU, clem and 10 others like this.
  22. That looks solid. I liked the old paint with the U.S. Mail on the doors but it is yours. Your vision. I hope that you make it shiny and not some flat paint that looks like primer. My opinion but it is yours to do with what you like.

23. What makes you think that it was a pun ? Perhaps the individual didn't know the difference.

24. Ratspit

Ratspit

I really liked the original patina and if I were doing some form of rat rod it would have been a perfect candidate but I wanted to get all the sheetmetal straightened out. I'll be incorporating the "U.S. Mail" logo in some form on my build. Just haven't decided where yet.

-Brent-, nunattax and warhorseracing like this.
  25. Did you read my first post nickthebandit? I included it above to show the "rolleyes" if you didn't.

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Darrel Schroeder does good work! He built the frame under my roadster. Enjoying your build.

27. Ratspit

Ratspit

Darryl does excellent work and he's a super nice guy to boot.

28. evintho

evintho

Great project! Keep it comin'.
    Oh look...….I found your twin!

P7060038.jpg

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Why do I hear the music from The Walton’s when I look at that pic?:D:D:D

clem and OzMerc39 like this.