Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 57 is home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Moving to the front sheetmetal ... and while I had the glue out.... bonded the brows.... they will never come off.The posts were in very bad shape and trying to repair pot metal is just a problem.I have several sets.... but these were the best ones.....

IMG_E3107.jpg IMG_E3100.jpg IMG_E3113.jpg IMG_E3114.jpg IMG_E3118.jpg

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Dash is painted. put it in... and got her on the ground again.....
    Doing the underside of 50's cars really suck... but I would never take one off the frame unless it was the last resort
    that's suicide for me. IMG_2747.jpg 104956337_10157608847022809_4042901189395965170_n.jpg

Stogy, mgtstumpy, Squablow and 9 others like this.
  3. So good to see someone do the brake lines the right way. IMG_2691.jpg

Stogy, mgtstumpy, Todd553 and 9 others like this.
  4. Very good. What bonding agent did you use?

Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  5. Looks good. I love seeing progress. Must be 57 Ford season, made a little progress on mine also, last month.

Stogy, Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Was the Meteor a two door or four door? It would be great to have saved it. (I have. '56 Rideau Victoria.). Why would lifting a body off a '50s be such an ordeal for you? Too big?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Jeff Norwell likes this.
  7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Post #301

loudbang likes this.
  8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

It was a 57 4 door.... and it was rotten .... but I grabbed the 9 inch out of it and some other parts....
    As for a body off... too much time and little space.... but thats me.

Squablow, VANDENPLAS, enloe and 2 others like this.
  9. I also used a panel adhesive on the eyebrows. I just was getting rid of seams. The first time around I just cleaned up and glued around the edges using enough to make good contact and close the gaps. The car sat for about 3 years after that paint job through a couple good summer and winter temp cycles (this was paint job #3). I was checking things over getting ready to finish the Car when I noticed hair line cracks right where the seam used to be. Talked about it with the paint supplier and it was decided I didn't rough up the surface enough or use enough product. Personally I thought I followed there directions pretty well. During Body and Paint job #4 (this one and last one) I removed both eyebrows and with little effort from what I expected and I did it again. This time I took a rotary file and burred up the total back side of the potmetal eyebrow as well as the full edge of the fender. I then filled the back side of the eyebrow with adhesive and pushed them in place letting product ooze out all the way around. Once cured I filed to a finish and has been re painted again. That was another 5 years ago and so far nothing seems to be going on. If it crack's out again I'm just going to live with it. I hope you have better luck than my first go at it.

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So.. motoring away on my build and crossing things off my list, I came to the point where I was now assembling the Gas Pedal.
    Wanting a stock pedal, in stock portion.. it seemed like a simple install.
    Not really.

After examine an old rotted pedal with linkage... the Repro's are nothing like OG's.... I remember my friend Gunther(From Austria) at some point speaking to this issue.
    I looked at the old assembly and the new repro unit..... completely different.I assume many of you know all this.. but I had no idea.

A quick couple of pics shows the difference.
    IMG_3308.jpg IMG_3309.jpg

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So I crafted a quick email to Gunther and he provided a email within an hour with his solution...... simple and straight forward.....And with pics!

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 8.32.26 AM.png 57CS gas pedal 1s.jpg 57CS gas pedal 2s.jpg 57CS gas pedal 3s.jpg 57CS gas pedal 4s.jpg IMG_9714.JPG
    [

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

After a few minutes.I gathered up stuff in the shop to do this..... I made a rolled pin to size but then looked at the old 60's, 70's unit that was in the car.... I saw a rolled Knurled pin that fit the 3/8's tube I was using perfectly.I like this knurled pin, due to the fact there was less chance of it backing out over time.But i tend to over think things.....

IMG_3310.jpg IMG_3311.jpg IMG_3312A.JPG

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

It all worked out very well, and you need to take a rat tail file to the linkage area that the tube passes through so there is no bind or catching......
    The whole deal took an hour to do but it really to the guess work out of what should be a simple install.There may be other solutions out there but I really want to thank Gunther for taking the time to lend a international hand..... instead of myself destroying a Reproduction gas pedal..... I think that what really bugs me is there are no instructions or solutions when this part is bought.Nor is it anywhere close to an original design.
    Anyhow.. some may have done this a different way or simpler.... but Gunther came to my rescue and the issue is solved.

Hopefully it may help someone else in the future...

14. The repro and the original are not even in the same ballpark, Jeff. Looks like the original was made by Firestone?

15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I always look forward to your updates Mr. Norwell

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

YES! sidevalve8ba! yes!

Henry and the Firestones were buddies....... I can only assume that Firestone would not give up the rights to Repro that design..... or....someone is just a dumbass...... hahahah

17. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Great information, thank you. I have a service manual AND a Norwell binder. I need all the help I can get.:)

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Ha ha ha ha.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  19. Jeff; Thanks for the insight. Like you, I like things to look correct as well as work right. I can see the issue with the repro unit. Now I have to go rummage through countless numbers of boxes and find the replacement pedal I have and take a look. I know I have fresh new units for all 3 pedals and have for near 30 years. I wonder if I'll get lucky and have a correct unit being when I started my project there was a lot of N.O.S. parts still around. Last time I was rooting around I was kind of impressed how much stuff I had in FoMoCo boxes. Did I send you the info on Classtec?

loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Wizz,..I hear ya!....I spend more time looking through Boxes of Parts,searching for that certain part,bolt or fastener....
    I am assembling a NOS Grill and the moment and I will be damned if I can't find the parts I put away in a"Safe Place..."

21. Damn, I hate those Safe Places! Finding them often times take more time than the actual Job does.

Jeff Norwell, loudbang and bobss396 like this.
  22. You must be missing the little U brackets for the Center strip.

23. I'm famous for that. I have a small box on top of my rollaway and the top drawer in the chest is where I keep my critical parts... most of the time. I just went through my new and used parts, I had some scattered, now they are organized and I found stuff I never recall buying. Most of my used hardware is bagged up or in old prescription containers and labeled.

I had painted a lot of the interior parts, down to small items, wrapped them in masking paper and labeled them. They were in this one copier paper box that I kept losing in the garage, it would take days of off and on searching. FINALLY painted a stripe on each side of the box with day-glo orange.

The gas pedal on my '59 went right in, I could have used my old one but elected for a new one probably from Concours Ford.

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Looks great, Jeff! That difference to the pedal was news to me

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well a small but important piece of info on that Repro Gas pedal deal(which I had no Idea)
    A friend of mine Lynn, sent me this manual pic.... so there was a "Early 57 " PEDAL and a "Late 57-58" PEDAL....

The Throttle assemblies were different... as shown in the pic..... Now the Repro pedal assembly makes sense.
    Anyhow... it may help others down the road.

Pedal Pic.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  26. I knew about the 2 types of arms. Had not given much thought to it being it's not the hands on project as of yet. So it looks like the actual pedal itself is for the late 57/58 hardware. Is that correct? I'm trying to refrain from getting sidetracked back into the 57 project until this 34 is out of my life and I'm only days away from watching the taillights go down the driveway. I'd go do a little hands on with my pieces but it always seems to suck up Days instead of Hours.

27. Mine is the one on the right style. 9725. Is there a way to correlate the 4-digit part numbers to full Ford part numbers?

28. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

[QUOTE="Pist-n-Broke, post: 13664984, member: 1811 So it looks like the actual pedal itself is for the late 57/58 hardware. Is that correct? [/QUOTE]

Correct.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Not sure....

loudbang likes this.
  30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Doing all the small stuff.. made a big list and crossing things off... still trying to find where i put stuff in them darn safe places.
    Anxiously waiting for shifter parts..
    .....fitting a NOS grill, finishes all the insulation,finished the brakes and fuel system... the list never ends.(damn,, Ford love Seam Sealer!!!!!!!)
    Starting to wire in the next week... pretty basic..

But the grind pounds on.
    116829418_10157746135132809_349521581880884668_o.jpg 117181226_10157746135302809_1258594914530281844_o.jpg 117310670_10157746135227809_6748279789392604531_o.jpg 117311162_10157746135337809_4555411837168304645_o.jpg