Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Selling...freebie rides

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Hunter, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Just wondering when you're selling your car locally, say on facebook, how do you weed out the serious people from the ones who just want a freebie ride in your car. I'm sure some of you have been through this. What's your experience? Thanks.

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Hopefully your good at determining bullsh’t. Ask them if they have the cash in their pocket. If they answer no, tell them it isn’t going out of the driveway.

3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Agree. Show me the money or show me your tail lights

4. I dunno, I’m a pretty good judge of character, if he or she doesn’t seem serious after we talk a bit , I will take them for a drive but won’t let them drive it.

ive walked away from deals where the seller won’t let me drive it, even told them just need to take it around the block is all, nope nadda
    Ok I guess your hiding something me n my cash will go home then.
    I’ve had a few call me days or weeks later saying I can drive it now !
    Lol, I’ve gone back to a few told a few to beat it and good luck selling.

You be the judge and weed out the wanna bee’s

5. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I guess you just have to be a good judge of character(s).
    But hey.....Wait a minute.... you won't let them drive but if they won't let you drive....you walk?
    Actually, if they seem to be REALLY interested, I would take them for a ride but not let them drive.

5window and olscrounger like this.
  6. Gman0046

Gman0046

I don't let anyone drive my four speed cars that are for sale. Too much can go wrong that could cost an arm and a leg. Not too long ago sold my 63 Impala with a Muncie M-21. I did the driving and the buyer watched. IMG_0645-3.JPG

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    alanp561, Barn Hunter, bobwop and 5 others like this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The last things you want to hear is tires squealing or the sound of metal crunching .

Barn Hunter likes this.
  8. mopacltd

mopacltd

Buyer asked me to take him on a road test. I drove, he was in the passenger front seat. Got about 2 blocks into the test drive, he stuck a pistol barrel in my nose and told me to get out of the car! Never saw him or the car again!

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well that musta sucked. If you had a gun maybe you could have popped him when he slid behind the wheel.o_O

10. trollst

trollst

You have to ask some questions of your own, feel the buyer out, figure out if he's a time waster. How many hot rods has he owned, what does he know about your car, does he know the difference between a rat and a rod? I usually do this while on the phone, they weed out pretty quick.

Just Gary, Barn Hunter and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is scary and in this day and age you never know. If I don't know them or a friend doesn't or the sound sketchy they are not coming to my house. If they pass that test then I will take them for a ride but not allow them to drive--have never had a problem but am very cautious. Never allow strangers to pick up parts or come here no matter what sob story they give me. We have built and sold quite a few 40's over the years but they fly in from somewhere and we are already somewhat familiar with them prior to the sale-has never been an issue.

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Tim, thats scary. I've often thought that could happen but your the first person I actually knew that had it happen. Thank God your safe. What did the Mrs. think about it? Whats your plan for the next test drive?

Gary

Barn Hunter likes this.
  13. Seon

Seon

Years ago I listed my Vette for sale to buy a house. A cop comes in full uniform replied to my ad, drives the Vette then said, " Nice car, never drove a Vette" then leaves .
    From then on, as Cuba Gooding Jr said, "Show me the money" before any test drive.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  14. I see money first.

Its funny I have been selling cars and bikes for decades. In all those years I have never had anyone at all take a test ride on a bike and probably only one or two test drive a car.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  15. Are you sure he was a cop? :confused: Maybe he was one of the Village People. :rolleyes:

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't sold a car that you could actually drive down the road for so long it isn't an issue. The last two runners left on trailers.
    I'm delivering the Model A body and Frame to the buyer this morning.
    I agree with Old Scrounger, I don't usually let people I don't know come to the house for small items. I either meet them at a friend's gas station in town or at the gas station that is on a freeway exit 6 miles from the house.

Barn Hunter and olscrounger like this.
  17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Very few get to come to my house to see anything im selling. Even fewer get to see my shop, or whats in it. Just gotta feel em out. some are time wasters, some are buyers. I havent found it that hard to determine which.

I did have a guy offer me half price on a motorcycle i was selling. Told him F no!, re-read the ad, its 100% worth my asking price (full custom build with about 10 miles on it) He later wrote back saying he would take it at full price, the next day showed up with a truck and cash.

They all think theyre the Asss Monkey Garage and can offer half price and buy it.

18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Sorry this happened to you. That is actually why I am one that always carries. Especially when selling or buying from someone I don't know. Sometimes they can see it, sometimes they don't. Never sell anything at my house or shop!

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I sold the Peter Beater to @bobwop . He asked to hear it run, had me drive it onto his trailer while he watched. I offered to let him drive, he said he trusted me (that and he's like 8' tall!) so he didn't even get in it! Other cars, show me $$...then we'll talk.

verno30, Barn Hunter and bobwop like this.
  20. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Not really a test drive story.
    A guy came over from Reno with a buddy of his to buy a part, a pretty expensive part, $3200. They get here and I told them I practice social distancing, etc. The guy checks out the part and wants to buy it, no haggling, no problem. We're talking and he hands me his coffee travel mug. I tell him no thanks I'm good. He says no your moneys in it. I pop the top off and all I see is a bunch of cheetos. I empty out the cheetos thinking the money is underneath. Well the cheetos were in the bottom part of a coke cup that had been cut off and used like a false bottom. Had to get a pair of pliers to get that out and the money was underneath. It was in primarily $20 bills with a couple of $100's and $50's. Being rolled up into that tight roll it was impossible to count without it spring back to a roll. He assured me it was all there, which it was after I was able to count it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  21. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Another time I was selling a 1946 GMC 1 ton panel truck. A guy was from New Foundland but working in Afghanistan under contract in an oil refinery. He contacts me saying he wants to buy the panel. No problem he does a bank transfer to my account and every things is good. He asks if I will hold on to it until he gets back and can arrange for a shipper. 3 months later the shipper shows up and I meet him in a parking lot with the panel. He's got a double decker open carrier and wants me to back this 1 ton panel up on the ramps to the top tier. No way am I taking that responsibility. The tires were as wide as the ramps were. He eventually did it with no trouble.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I run into the sticky situation where a guy demands to drive a car...but I refuse to let them.

If we have been in discussion, I feel like he is interested and there seems to be a good relationship going, then I am happy to take him for a drive.

My concerns are twofold: wreck my car and now I have a problem with my insurance company. Second, how do you repair it? some parts are unobtainable.

I have lost potential buyers because I won't allow them to drive my cars. But the vast majority get it.

I just have to stand my ground.

23. Cash only. Nothing transacted at home or shop, ever. At least one of us is armed, and I always know which one. Also, during negotiations I make it clear I'm not interested in making any new friends.

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

What happens if America becomes cashless?

Barn Hunter and ClayMart like this.
  25. I stop selling

Tman and Barn Hunter like this.
  26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

If I was a buyer, I wouldn't buy a car that the seller wouldn't let me drive.

warbird1 and 5window like this.
  27. well, those who have the most paper will win, and those will full time carry............

Barn Hunter and RJP like this.
  28. I agree, my insurance only covers me. I just sold a car and the buyer flew in from another State to see it. He understood. I took him for a drive and he was satisfied. Yes, he bought the car.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Barn Hunter and bobwop like this.
  29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Did he show up on foot? That might be a clue..

Barn Hunter likes this.
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Guess I just never got into the driving thing, never drove a car before I bought it, never sold a car that anyone asked to drive. Bob

Barn Hunter likes this.