Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Later Stovebolt in a 33 Chev?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whtbaron, Jul 12, 2020.

1. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Asking for an acquaintance....looking at a resto-mod 33 Chev with a cracked original 6 cylinder block. Anyone know what would be involved with bolting up a later 216/235 to the stock power train? My understanding is the 29 to 36 engines were significantly different. Yea, I know... I'd drop a SBC/5 spd in it too....

Stogy likes this.
  2. if I remember right, it can be done with the right combination of pre war, original parts. the pedals are one of the big concerns in making the swop work.

Stogy likes this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The mounts are completely different, so you'll have to figure that part out. You'll need a '38-'47 Chev or GMC truck bellhousing if you're going to use the stock trans., which isn't the stoutest unit.

Stogy and whtbaron like this.
  4. rusty valley

rusty valley

and, i believe they are an inch or so longer

Stogy likes this.

5. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

The newer versions are longer?

Stogy likes this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

yes. a long long time ago, i was 15, trying to put a 235 in a 36. had no skills at that time and just found another 216 to make it easy

Stogy likes this.
  7. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Original was a 207.... 216's and 235's would be similar to each other.

Stogy likes this.
  8. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

9. lowrd

lowrd

There is an article in the Patrick’s antique auto parts Site, which addresses swapping out stove bolts between years. I did not check wether or not Patrick’s is still in business but it can’t hurt to look.

kidcampbell71, Stogy and whtbaron like this.
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@whtbaron

The distance between us is significant......but I am removing a 1953 full pressure lube 235 (standard with PG in ‘53) From my 1937 Chevy Coupe. The complete engine, trans, bell housing clutch flywheel etc (along with a new in the box clutch and pressure plate assembly) is available. Also the generator and newly rebuilt starter are with it. Ready to run.

I bought this ‘37 last year from an avid AACA member who used it on their 800 to 1000 mile tours many times over the years. It was overhauled a number of years ago, runs well, but the seller said “it does use a little oil”. I don’t know exactly what that means, but I did find the side cover was leaking at the lower rear corner and I replaced that gasket.

By the way, the ‘53 235s used the earlier style two stud valve cover and look, at a glance, like a 216. Using that was intentional on the part of the PO who didn’t want to raise the hackles of his fellow AACA members, some of whom are purists.

If interested in discussing possibilities regarding this drivetrain (also have the complete rear end and torque tube)...send me a private message.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    kidcampbell71, Stogy and Torkwrench like this.
  11. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Patrick’s is out of business and Patrick Dykes is deceased. Unless his son or someone has reopened the business.

Stogy likes this.
  12. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Thanks for the offer but I really don't know this guy very well... I believe he's in upstate NY but I would be reluctant to provide leads to other Hamber's in case it all goes south. I do know he was negotiating a deal on an early 6 on another page.

Stogy likes this.
  13. I have a 1930 engine for sale.

kidcampbell71, whtbaron and Stogy like this.
  14. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Looks like the info that was on the website is gone too... the domain name is up for renegotiation.

Stogy likes this.
  15. I could be wrong, I haven't messed with a 235 6 cylinder for a half century but if memory is correct the ones with the two studs retaining the valve cover are not full pressure lubrication, they still used dippers on the connecting rods.

From memory 1953 had two engines, the two stud rocker cover, that was the stick shift engine with dippers while the Powerglide engines had four 1/4-20 screws retaining the rocker cover, that was the one with full pressure lubrication to the rod bearings. By 1954 all the engines were full pressure lubrication.

16. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Like I say, I really don't know this guy (just ran into him in an old car chat) so I'm reluctant to act as a go between so I'll let him know what I've found and see where it goes from there.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'53 all 3 engines have 2 nuts holding it. The '53 Powerglide 235 the only pressure motor with a 3 screw oil distributor on the side of the block.

Hnstray likes this.
  18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am sorry to say you are mistaken about the valve cover issue. ALL 1953 Chevy sixes, 216 (pickups), 235 dipper and 235 full pressure lube with insertbearings had the 2 stud hold down on the valve cover. This isn’t my first rodeo on earlier Chevy sixes. I had several of them, one was a ‘51 Bel Air with Powerglide which was equipped a 235 dipper. I abused that poor engine and when it went south, I bought a ‘53 Powerglide engine straight from the car it came in. You are correct that the 1954 models all got the the four perimeter screws common to the end of production. That is not the extent of my experience with them in those days or since, but it should be sufficient. :D

Ray

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    MO54Frank likes this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I appreciate your caution, but you need not worry how a deal may go on my account. I have bought and sold long distance several times and accept responsibility for outcomes.

Ray

whtbaron likes this.
  20. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Seems to be one of those guys... I keep telling him what he's up against, but he isn't listening. I'm guessing it will be another project car that goes up for sale. Thanks for your help guys.

302GMC likes this.
  21. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I have a buddy with a nos(crate eng.) 1935 207 ci engine if interested.

whtbaron and tb33anda3rd like this.
  22. what body style?

23. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

No clue... I keep saying and he keeps ignoring so I think I'm done trying to help...

6inarow likes this.
  24. Bryan Cleary

Bryan Cleary

25. Bryan Cleary

Bryan Cleary

235 still up for grabs?

26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

PM sent

27. The head/ valve cover differences got me so confused (especially as we had a bit of a mix'n'match with Australian models), the only way to know if you had a full-pressure job was to look at the side covers- tall, with spark plug holes-
    dipper, short= full pressure.

28. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

from an old Patricks catalogue, hope you can read it. swap1.jpg swap2.jpg swap3.jpg swap4.jpg swap5.jpg

tb33anda3rd and mcsfabrication like this.
  29. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Usually holds true ... unless you have a '50-'52 Powerglide engine, which has a short cover & poured bearings.

30. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Ok, so yes, 37 to 62 engines are very similar, but the original post was about a 33 with a 207. My first suggestion was a V-8 swap... not happening. My 2nd suggestion was a full oiler 235, but he has found a "deal" on a full babbit 216 with a tranny ( probably the one positive in this narrative) so that's where he's going. At least if he sorts out the motor mount and clutch linkages, he'll be set up for an easy swap to a 235 next time around.