Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need Model A frame advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32dreamer, Jul 12, 2020.

1. 32dreamer

32dreamer

I’d like to start a Model A project. In regards to the frame I thought about using an “A” frame but I have concerns over strength. My plan is to run a mild sbf/c4/8” rear axle combo. I know that boxing the A frame is an option. I also believe that a stiffer K member could be used. I see A’s with ‘32 frames but I'm not sure if thats a route that I wanna go. Just looking for some advice and want to get off on the right foot. The focus is a simple driver to enjoy. Thanks in advance.

dana barlow and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  2. millersgarage

millersgarage

An A from from Brookville is plenty strong for a street car.
    The 32 frame would give you much needed engine room as it has a longer wheelbase.

HotRod33 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  3. Nothing wrong with using an original model A frame.

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I ran a 289/C4/8" (3.00) in a Model A coupe back in the 70s, with unboxed Model A frame. No problems whatsoever.

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If you are building it fenderless, a 32 frame looks better, has a built in rear arch and slight front sweep up. So they are easier to get the car lower. But a Model A frame works just fine too. I have an original boxed frame under my 28 PU and 29 Coupe and havent had any problems. Besides boxing, they have center x members added.

1oldtimer and Hot Rods Ta Hell like this.
  6. HotRod33

HotRod33

If you pickup a new frame you start with a good base.... Its new steel.... Its square and level.... You can have suspension mounts put on it ... You save a bunch of time trying to straighten it .... Box it.... Welding up a few extra holes and probably a few cracks.... Remember model a frames are 90 years old....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What style car are you building? If your going to run full fenders and running boards then an A frame is the way to go so you get all the mounting points you need. Good originals if boxed properly are up to the task. If your thinking of doing a hi boy then I would go with a 32 style frame. As mentioned previously the extra few inches you get in length make all things easier when installing a v8. Also in a lot of peoples opinions the 32 frame has a much nice side profile.

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like model A's on A frames.. Box the engine area and you probably want to replace the original center section with a home built "K" member...

dana barlow likes this.
  9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Simple boxing and a properly placed crossmember is all thats needed.

Lots of fast model A's out there that have nothing more than the above.

dana barlow likes this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In the late 1950s I built my "A" with its frame,but remade my own crossmembers for tran n front.
    I did a full restore on my old rod a few years ago,but rust had got to some places inside frame,so cleaned that up an box it that time,it had not been boxed by me on firsts build and worked fine when it was rusted.

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

If you’re going with fenders I’d use the Model A frame either fully or partially boxed (firewall forward and rear end area). If you’re going fender-less, I’d use a ‘32 frame but be aware it’s not just a bolt on. There is some work to be done to the Model A body to mount it properly on a ‘32 frame.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 32dreamer

32dreamer

Lots of great responses so far. To add a little more info I would be building a fenderless coupe. I also love the ‘32 frame as I think its the best looking frame made but I am planning on staying A framed. I was also concerned with packaging figuring the fit may be tight so
    i hope this isn’t too much of a problem. I would like to hit some events and talk to some people and also get some pics as well as see some A’s first hand. I have Vern’s book also for any reference info that may help. Thanks again and please keep the suggestions coming. I appreciate your willingness to offer advice.