Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sonofabob, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Been happening since the dawn of the motor/engine days....they/engine guys - cut off the horse draw wagons all the time....even the trolleys !

40ragtopdown and Sonofabob like this.
  2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Nope they are assholes and don't care about anything but there own lives. Sad but true. And they don"t even care about their own.

3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it´s just how the society is now. Full of egomaniacs ( even some of our leaders) that don´t give a flying f++k if someone is hurt or killed on the road as long as they can do what they do in the name of their " freedom". They just grab the phone and take a photo of the carnage instead of helping and post it on FB. Luckily there are good people out there aswell, but the maniacs are always louder and more apparent.

4. I don’t think most people care or even notice someone else driving an old car. Sometimes I don’t notice either.

But people seem to drive worse than a decade ago. Worse with each decade. Right?

Why?

If I had to guess.

#1. Modern cars are too fast
    #2. Modern brakes can stop a car too quickly (ABS), so everyone is used to driving to close.
    #3. Sheer volume of cars.
    #4. Distracted drivers.

But statistics show the opposite.

Even though it seems to be getting more dangerous, statistically the roads have actually been getting safer every year (more or less)

In 1950 there were 24.6 traffic deaths per 100,000 people in the US

In 1960; 20.2

In 1970; 27.6

In 1980; 22.3

In 1990; 18.5

In 2000; 15.4

In 2010; 15.1

In 2019; 12 (one of the lowest ever)

Accidents in general are down.

If you look at % of American households driving, that increases every year (93% last year). So are miles driven. So more and more people on the roads.

I think it’s a combination of cars getting too easy to drive so people can drive more aggressively successfully, so we notice that. And just our perception of the world; the good old days were always better. How many of you old farts secretly listen to Perry Como cd’s? Admit it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

CD's ? , records maybe ....LOL

clunker, 210superair and Sonofabob like this.
  6. 55Belairman

55Belairman

It's not just you. My DD is a Mercury Grand Marque. Sometimes I feel like I am invisible. People do things in front of me that cause me to brake hard and shake my head. This is a large car. It evens happens when my adult son drives the car. You can never be too careful.

Sonofabob likes this.
  7. chopped

chopped

Driving requires one finger and one toe, what could go wrong?

dirty old man, X-cpe and Sonofabob like this.
  8. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Great idea! I'll start doing the same.

9. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

J.C. ? that's just up the road from Solomon, KS hope to see your roadster running up and down Washington some day!

Sonofabob likes this.
  10. exterminator

exterminator

M big gripe is when I am driving down the road in the right or slow lane people always speed up to pull in front of you and then slow you down and turn and when you look in your mirror- no one is behind you. And it isn't because I am going too slow. they just want to be in front. So now when I see someone I suspect getting ready to do that- I just speed up and then they have to get behind me and turn!:D

11. fuzzface

fuzzface

"If you were truck sized they wouldn't ignore you."

Doesn't matter, they pull out in front of you because they don't want to be behind you and then they seem to not be able to find the gas pedal. These idiots in little cars must think us in 32 ton trucks can slow down and stop on a dime like them but it takes us a few ft more, okay lots of extra ft to stop..

another thing I cannot understand is all the little cars out there that have damage on all 4 corners. They think because they are small they will fit anyplace? Hate to see those drivers in big cars.

I agree cell phones are big part of the problem with making drivers distracted.

I am glad I live out in the country but we still get enough bad drivers here. I never take my old cars to the big city or on the freeway. back roads and country diners for me and my old betsy's

12. lake_harley

lake_harley

^^^^ (Post #27 & 38) Headlights on was my thought too as a way of doing something to try to prevent an accident or close call when I read the original post. In an effort of defensive driving I also leave extra room between me and the car/truck in front of me, no matter what I'm driving, to give myself an "escape route" from what's coming up behind me.

I went for a ride, a bit over 1300 miles, on one of my motorcycles in 2 days last week. On a motorcycle my awareness is always heightened when cars are coming in from side roads, waiting to turn, or even if it looks like they're slowing down to do something or not paying attention. I try to remember I can't control people, places or things.

Lynn

13. fuzzface

fuzzface

I tend to hug the white line instead of the yellow line like so many do no matter what I drive. Saved me a few times by doing this. Never know when you crest that hill and you have an idiot in your lane because they are texting. I would rather take out a mailbox that occasionally jumps out at you instead of hitting a texter coming at you head on.

chopped likes this.
  14. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I miss my old one ton truck. It had I beam bumpers and was a brute. Everybody got out of my way..

Old Van.jpg

View attachment 4751596

seb fontana and Just Gary like this.
  15. Is it just me.....that would like to see a 48 hour period with no cell phone services, and every car on the road that is operated by a computer magically not be able to move? It would be like driving in 1950 again!

16. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Had it out just yesterday, drove it up to Stacy's and went to see my buddy. I have it out on most nice weekends. We should cruise sometime this summer.

17. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Kinda the same subject. How would a police officer know if someone was driving drunk or distracted by texting or on there phone or ....

Sonofabob likes this.
  18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I need to get a project roadworthy first!

19. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Its the new impatient generation they wont wait for anything

hotrodjack33 and Sonofabob like this.
  20. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Well, we'll have to make that happen. Working on Dad's estate, but can certainly help turn wrenches.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think it is the vehicle all that much, distracted driving and around here entitled driving. 4 people were killed at two intersections within two miles of each other on a road 12 miles west of me while running stop signs across a very busy main road in two days. The second two lived a mile from the intersection that they died on. The " I do this all the time I don't have to stop" nonsense.
    I used to sit in a booth facing the street at place on a major intersection close to where I worked and the majority of drivers were either looking at a phone or talking on a phone when they passed the place.
    I think that hot rods or other cool cars do attract the lookie loos that tend to drift over towards your car or get their phone out to get a photo of the car.
    Outside of defensive driving to the Nth degree I don't know what a guy can do.

Sonofabob likes this.
  22. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

My son and I were watching tv the last few weeks and all the people trying to hold their cell phones while trying to protest. I said to my son if they wanted them to go home just shut off the cell towers in the area and most would leave cause they wouldn't have service. I also think one of the biggest distractions is the fact that new cars have too many options that distract people.

23. olds vroom

olds vroom

Hell they can’t see the big cars either . I had a 41 olds I spent 5 years on to get it on the road within 6 months a 90 year old man left a side street and drove right into my drivers side door . That car is a boat but he claimed he never saw me . He didn’t want to wait for the cops to show up because he had an appointment, I told him it had better be to the optometrist.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

seb fontana and Sonofabob like this.
  24. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Yep, me first attitude regardless what you drive.

25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And then there's the guy that pulls up next to you at 70+mph on the highway to gawk at your car. He can't seem to turn his head to the right to look at you without also turning the steering wheel to the right...easing into your lane:mad:

26. We can blame phones, But I don't think that's the hole reason. No one know were they are going so GPS is telling them when and where to go. And just like the new SUV that my wife got earlier this year You can't change the A/C, radio or dvd player for the grand kids with out having to scroll from screen to screen then move the touch this or that. So some of the distractions are built in then get a young driver that can,t drive to start with and some thing bad is going to happen. So I drive and ride looking out for every one else. As a man told me a long time ago the right of way is a belief and you can be dead right. So just keep looking out for the other guy.

seb fontana and Sonofabob like this.
  27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Yesterday while I was on the motorcycle I had more then one change lanes right in front of me and they were women in mini vans.

28. 31 5w

31 5w

When I went for full size p/u to medium size seems like became invisible to other drivers! Even as big as my '57 Fairlane is people just pull out in front of you. They also forget/ do not know that older cars do not stop , steer etc. like their new computer controlled cars. My wife always ask why I wait to go a few seconds after light turns green, I explain I do not trust others to obey signals. After driving old cars & hot rods for yrs. you just become more aware .

29. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

So many correct comments here. It's a jungle out there! I really hate the direction new cars are headed, especially these telephone pole sized A pillars, and goofy screens to control everything. I can't believe as safety minded as all our layers of bureaucracies are, that this crap continues.

30. You can try to blame phones or electronic gadgets, but the problem lies with the person using it. People just suck, period. The shit show doesn't stop after they get out of the car. This is why I cruise around at night, try to go to places people don't normally go or go places in bad weather.

As for driving, you have to be watching EVERYTHING as if you're on a motorcycle as others have said.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020