Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reverse engineering an aftermarket 32 frame - advice?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gigantor, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

I had the opportunity to purchase this boxed aftermarket frame at a fair price to go under my Model A coupe. It was set up for a more modern setup than what I am looking for. My intent is to run a flathead V8 and toploader transmission and a banjo rear end with a buggy spring.
    My current plan is to cut out the tubing inside the frame (that has already been hacked up) and install a Model A front and rear crossmember and 32 K-member.
    Question for y'all: Would you trim the K-member to be welded within the boxed frame rails? Or would you cut away the boxing in select spaces to fasten the K-member properly, perhaps even with rivets?
    Which would be the smarter move? The safest/strongest? Pic for reference.

sko_ford likes this.
  2. Gigantor

Gigantor

3. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I assume that you want an original front x-member for the engine mounts? If you don't find one you could make some for that x-member that is there. As to the x-member, both ways of attachment would work, so I think it's about how you want it to look. If you use rivets, 3/8" rivets take heat and a stout gun to buck. I happen to like the looks of rivets.