Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tow hitch on 39 Ford? Any pics? Anyone make one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deescott, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Deescott

Deescott

Hello, I’d like to put a tow hitch on my 39 Ford sedan. I’ve searched but can’t find any pics or solid info/ho tos. Anyone made one? Pics? Anyone bought one? Where? Thanks!

2. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ended up making one for my '37 Chevy coupe. If you crawl around under any car with a frame hitch you can see how they are made. Basically there are two brackets that attach to either frame rail. The center piece that holds the receiver is welded between the two. Easy? Not very as there are no pre-made hitches for old cars.

Start with cardboard and bend them into a 2x3 angle and go from there. Unless you have a lift you will be under that car and crawling out more times than you would have ever liked.

When you have your cardboard hitch either weld it up or take it to a welding shop for the fabrication.

Deescott likes this.
  3. I bought one years ago for my 36, basically same frame as a 39. My memory won’t let me remember who made it. Bolted into rear channel between frame rails and took a 2” hitch receiver. Let me rack my brain for a bit to see if I can remember. Mitch

Deescott likes this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know if photos from a p/u will help but this hitch was on my'39 when I bought it hitch.jpg hitch1.jpg hitch2.jpg

RMR&C likes this.

5. Ok, got it. Weedetr hot rod parts . If you look real close, you can see it under the rear of the body. Mitch. 20190213_154012.jpg

Plaza56, Tim and Deescott like this.
  6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Have the Weedeter on my 40.

Tim and Deescott like this.
  7. Deescott

Deescott

Thank you, I’ll check them out!

8. Have a home made on my 1939 sedan.....guess I need pictures ? Don't think it ever pulled a Airstream......