Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Farthest you drove for a maybe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Jul 11, 2020.

1. 640 miles one way to pick up a part that didn’t turn out to well. Something like 20-23 hours of straight driving up and back only stopping for gas, food and a short nap( too many vagrants in the rest stop)at 2:00 in the AM.
    Edit: My most memorable road trip, over 1400 miles in a long weekend (3 days) on a sport bike. Drove the Dragon, had some fun and still made it to work on Monday.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I have to touch before I buy. Try to get as much info as I can but I will drive to get something before I will pay for shipping. See the country. I drove from Iowa to Connecticut to look at a NAM 32 body before placing the down payment to get mine built. I've driven 24 hours straight for a round trip, pulling a trailer, and bought nothing....several times. For smaller parts, I try to limit myself to 4 or 5 hours each way. I enjoy the driving and it gives me time to think about my projects.
    SPark

wicarnut and Texas57 like this.
  3. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Long before the internet I talked to a guy at a swap meet that told me he was selling his 56 Buick Century 2 door hardtop with a three on the tree. Real nice car he said, great runner, original interior with little wear, good tires, drive it home, no problem. When I asked for pictures he had forgot to bring them and he wouldn't be home until the next weekend so I took his word for the condition of the car(I have since learned not to take everyone at their word!) The next weekend I called him to make sure it wasn't sold, drug a trailer 4 hours one way (I never trust the drive it home BS) I get there and see this clapped out 4 door sedan. resting on 4 flat junk tires.. The asshole comes out of the house and said we would need to air the tires up to winch it on the trailer, I asked where the 56 hardtop was, he said that ain't no convertible boy. To say I was pissed is putting it way too mild. After I called him every ting I could think of and threatened to beat his ass for being such a low life for having me make a trip for nothing I told him I wanted gas money at least. He said he was broke, I saw a Muncie four speed laying on his porch, I told him to put that trans in the back of my truck and not say another F***ing word. He did and I took off for home.
    I have been on plenty of goose chases since but that was the one that got my blood pressure up the most:mad:

Zombiefink and 46international like this.
  4. 2manycars2littletime

2manycars2littletime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Made a trip, with empty trailer, from Michigan to Rochester, NY to pick up a 63 Catalina 2 door hardtop.
    I asked lots of questions before asking a buddy to hook up his trailer and make the trip together.

Got there and the car was WAY worse than expected. I was ready to buy it anyway, but my buddy and I took a few minutes to put our heads together. Ended up coming home with an empty trailer.

"Surface rust" doesn't mean giant holes.

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

I borrowed a truck and a trailer to go 6 hours one way to get a truck with "all the sheet metal except the tailgate", a title, and a rolling frame. I was buying it based on 4 or 5 pictures and a conversation with the owner. It was pretty cheap.
    My wife went along, and we made it an overnight trip. We loaded the truck onto the trailer the next morning and brought it home. It was exactly as pictured and as described. About a month later, my son and I made a trip to the same place to pick up an additional rolling frame for the previous truck (thrown in with the original purchase). The trip with my son was pledged with all sorts of delays, including an interstate that was closed down because of an accident. That straight through 12 hour round trip took 21 hours, but the rolling frame is here too.

I'm just getting started on that build now. Pictures posted are 2 days after we got home with the truck. Gene

Attached Files:

Zombiefink likes this.
  6. I flew over a thousand miles on a maybe, for a 40 year old motorcycle fully intending to ride it home. And succeeded.
    (whew)

7. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

My wife loves to road trip, and haul cars home for me. About 10 years ago I get an offer from a friend of a family friend. O/T British sports car, he was the original owner, been parked outside in SoCal for 30 years. Wife goes 700 miles with trailer to pick it up. Calls me when she gets there "it's rusty." She's no fool. I tell her load it up anyway. She hauls it home for me anyway, and when she gets here, I agree, it's rusty.

I wasted some time fiddling with it, but ultimately passed it on to somebody who really loves that make and model.

Devin

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

This was my forte for years. I saw a lot of this country because of cars, trucks and motorcycles. From the Northeast to Nebraska, TN, GA, Maine, and Saskatoon Saskatchewan (that was like 8k in 9 days, in the winter... what an adventure!).

When I moved out here I probably logged in 4 or 5k, likely more now that I'm thinking, chasing down good Model A fenders. Saw a lot of crap, learned a lot about fenders, and eventually bought a set and still had to throw out everything but the fronts and the splash guard. Trying to recount the places, right now, St George, UT, then Vegas, Idaho x2, Montana (just over the line) and Colorado twice. I ended up buying a set in California (south of Vegas) and some other pieces in Nor Cal. This was over the course of 2 years, about.

I loved roadtrips (still do) but I don't chase parts all that much. Trying to get out of it... though the hunt does excite me.

9. Basically a 4 hour drive based on the pictures shown....as I finally arrived at his place in Louisiana....funny that his pictures showed other rods/vintage stuff in the back ground.....one look under the hood and you know he switched out the flat head motor....it was a 1940 sedan...I passed.....he continued to try and sell it with the "good" motor pictures....

10. Last year, looking to buy a car. In July I drove round trip,1280 miles to look at a car that ended up not being the one to buy. In October I drove round trip a little over 2300 miles and came back with the car I was meant to buy. Over all I would say it was worth driving 3600 miles for the end result. No buyers remorse, nothing but smiles. :)

11. deucemac

deucemac

I have two stories. The first involved "32 Ford tudor" that a fellow instructor at Chanute AFB told me about.This was in 1970 and near his hometown in southern Illinois. He spoken about it constantly and it piqued my interest. So, I planned a trip to see the car. It was about a 3 hour drive and was exactly where he said. Unfortunately it was a 30-31 model A tudor sitting on its side , buried in a riverbank. The side up was paper-thin and the buried side was almost completely returned to mother nature. I hadn't gone, it would have been a mint 32 just to spite me. Nice drive though.
    The second story happened in 1976 as I was working as a mechanic for the Border Patrol office in El Centro, California. Each year we would survey out used vehicles in various conditions. Every bid form read in large print "Please inspectI person before bidding". We are in our office and this guy walks in with a small suitcase and a receipt from our cashier. He was the high bidder on a 1974 Jeep Commando we were selling. He paid $75 for it. My boss looked at the receipt and said to the buyer, "okay, bring your truck and trailer to the back lot and we will fork lift the carb on the trailer for you". This guy exploded and said that he planned to drive the car home. My boss asked if he had seen it before he bid. He said, "I'm from Seattle Washington, how am I supposed to come see it?" So, we took him out to see his purchase sitting on 2 55 gallon drums with the body, frame, and steering wheel plus the pedal assembly. A Border Patrolman had wrecked it and we cannibalize everything good to use on the rest of the Commando fleet. This guy was a spec buyer expecting to make a killing by buying low and selling high! The last we saw of him, he stormed off, yelling every off color word in his vocabulary at us, climbed into a cab and headed back to the Imperial County Airport. He stopped payment on his check and sold it to the next highest bidder, who was local for $61, and he showed up with his truck and trailer happy as a clam, to get parts for his roll over at home.

12. I'm going to have to drive to Albuquerque NM in a couple of weekends to pick up my coe hood..
    I made a deal with a guy,he was supposed to deliver it in trade of 9 military wheels for his project,he was supposed to be here last weekend.
    He picked the hood near Houston and was waiting on the weekend to come to Vegas and do the trade..
    He got quarantined and now I have to meet him half way..and still give him the wheels...
    Turning this 100 dollar hood Into a 500+ hood...shit happens

13. squirrel

squirrel

Drove to Reno (close to 1000 miles each way) to get a truck for my kid....he still has it, 16 years later. It was dicey, but were able to talk him down enough to make it worth getting. Of course it was not what it was purported to be.

14. Retrorod

Retrorod

I am contemplating an eastbound trip from the left coast to buy a body half right now...only 1300 miles one way! I have to consider all the costs involved, the time spent means nothing as my navigator and I are both retired retired. Of course we have to consider the Corona virus stuff too since we are both older. I guess if the purchase price is low enough I will probably do it. I will contact the seller today for more info.

15. topher5150

topher5150

It's also fun when you've been talking to the for a week planning out your trip and you get there and then he acts like he never talked to you and he had other people that wanted it.

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clem likes this.
  16. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Several years ago a friend told me of a deal in the local thrifty nickel in Casper Wy. A 34 Ford coupe, rolling chassis, chopped top, all work hammer welded. $2500 and it sounded pretty good. He went to check it out but wasn't much into older cars. Said it looked kinda rough. I called, the guy was in California, he talked the car up, was firm on the price. I talked to the wife who was in Casper & set up a date to check it out. Over 300 miles one way, got to my friends house, contacted the wife. Met her at an old horse barn, dark no lighting.the car was in the farthest darkest corner. It was an old dirt track racer. A well used POS. No floor, unknown cowl poorly welded on, body welded to some kind of frame. I stayed the night at the friends place & came back with an empty trailer.

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

From Muskogee to Indianapolis for these! And just got back from Georgia to get a trailer.

Bones BD5ABA09-8D0A-49B6-B405-522E731ECB1D.jpeg

dana barlow likes this.
  18. After reading all the posts I'm glad to see it's not just me.......looks like I'm in good company. I try to stay in this state when getting parts/cars (unless it's a HAMBer/Ford Barner), but I did venture to lower AZ in the middle of summer to get the Studebaker, through L.A traffic in summer to have some one flake out and through L.A traffic into the desert for a $20 interior sun visor.

I found some parts on Ford Barn I want badly but are in Virginia. I can't get over buying from just pictures part, but would make my '28 quicker to finish......it's killing me :rolleyes:.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  19. adam401

adam401

Before I had ever seen the internet I drove to Ft. Collins Colorado from Rhide Island for an off topic car. When I got there is was nothing as describedband the developed pictures I had recieved were artfully taken to not disclose the rot. I left that piece of shit there and drove straight home haha. Fuck it.

20. indyjps

indyjps

For cars or tail? Up to mid 20's it wasnt a big deal to ride a few hours for either.

j hansen and leon bee like this.
  21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

8 hours each way is pretty normal for me with the addendum that I live in flatland country so that’s a factor. I’ll take 3 day weekends just to drive around looking for stuff not keeping track of miles.
    Worst/best deal was hauling the trailer out to Sheridan Wyoming on a car deal. It looked good in the pics and figured I had asked all the right questions. Got there and it was the proverbial POS. Didn’t get too upset, just started cruising the back roads heading East checking out every small town. Spotted a repair shop in one and stopped in to talk to the owner which resulted in a lead for a local. Ended up buying a completely different car then I wanted but it put something on the trailer. Lemons into lemonade.

22. das858

das858

In 1978 i drove about 180 miles to get a 426 hemi for a nhra stock class '66 Plymouth Satellite, ask them on the phone if the distributor was in the front of the engine or at the back , they said "in the front " . We head out in my buddy's ratty '70 gto , with plans of taking the heads off and putting them on the floor in the back seat , and putting the short block in the trunk . The asking price on the phone was $600.00 , when we get there the guy says , he won't take a dime less than $350.00 , I'm thinking great ! We go into the shop and on an engine stand is a freshly painted early Chrysler Hemi .
    I tell the guy thats no 426 and we leave disappointed. I've been kicking myself ever since for not buying it !

23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Many years back;;Miami fla. to Chicago/got zero,and another trip Miami to Vermont came home with what I went for,now sold. Still made trips fun an looked around.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  24. leon bee

leon bee

When I was 21 I used to drive from Denver to Rapid City on the weekends.

25. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Drove from central CT to the Canadian border to get some parts for a 39 Buick. The address was in New York but the GPS had me cross the border to get to it. Got stopped by the border patrol on the way back.
    They took one look at the front sheet metal for the buick filling my truck bed and waived me on. Probably cost more in gas than the parts.

26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Damn Bones, ya came through Bama and didn’t let me know? We might could’ve met up for a few minutes.....

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. mickeyc

mickeyc

I pulled my trailer to Ormond Beach near Daytona
    from New Orleans for a 1932 Ford chassis. The seller assured me the title was in his name and he would have a notary public endorsed bill of sale to me to take
    back to my title guy. When I got there it was a problem in that he had never had the title established
    in his name. He said surely I would not go home empty handed over a little paper work. I assured him I
    indeed would. He called a notary at his bank and she
    was able to work it all out to meet Louisiana requirements. I took the chassis with me and now it is in my name along with the body. It did take me 10
    years of casual searching to locate a suitable chassis,
    so it was worth the overnight road trip to me.

28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Bama, that was a trip from Hell! I probably wasn’t fit to be around folks! Lol! I would give details!!..... But don’t want to make a grown man cry!
    But if you ever get to Gods country ( Oklahoma) look me up!

Bones

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If you went across I22, you came within 25 miles of my homestead, but that doesn't mean I was at home anyway. I was probably gone in the truck somewhere.

I figure when my ship comes in, I'll probably be in the desert or something....

30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

We drove on I-10 then turned North to Camilla, Georgia. Then turned around a came back same way. Was I close?

Bones