Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my '29 AV8 roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 2345.coupe, May 6, 2019.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good @2345.coupe...very much enjoying your journey in Vintage Hotrod...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    lothiandon1940 and brady1929 like this.
  2. thanks Stogy

Stogy likes this.
  3. are you able to use that yom plate in ny? Looking better each day.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Yes we can use theses plates in NY. They just have to be approved by the Special Plates Unit in the Albany DMV.

Stogy likes this.
  5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool fun build, lots of great ideas to share. My .02c. Worth , in post 38 you show you steering pitman arm , is this the one you plan to use in the finished car? If so in my opinion it doesn’t look right . Wth the welds etc. Had you considered machining the spline section off it and into a small circle and building a new one part pitman arm from say 5/8 to 3/4 steel plate shaping it and putting a well beveled hole in it to weld the spline in ?

redoxide and KiWinUS like this.
  6. Lookin' good....won't be long now. Hope you are all well up there in the Adirondacks.

7. thanks vtwhead.......she's running but needs new water pumps.....all is well here, hope it's the same for you..

JUNK ROD likes this.
  8. assembled and modified pieces and parts to make the left and right irons then added the wooden bows. Front irons need to be shortened and the rear irons need to be chopped..... top irons3.jpg top irons4.jpg top irons5.jpg

JUNK ROD likes this.
  9. redoxide

redoxide

I love the look of your 29, building one for myself when I have completed a 31 coupe for my buddy .
    Its not easy for me to comment on thigs I might have concerns about but I was looking at your Pitman arm and I have to say before you find out the hard way . Please revise the steering .

I know you have did it that way to clear the split bone , but the problem with the split bone is the limit it imposes to the space needed for the pitman arm.

With the bone split to the chassis it would have been better to consider a cross steer configuration . If your adverse to using a vega box utalise a 35 to 48 style box .

The solution you have devised to clear the wishbone is creative and solved the clearance problem but believe me you have entered a world of pain with regards to the steering geometry , not only with the actual geometry but the stresses on the arm itself .

Please understand that this is not a criticism but n observation and a comment designed not to poke a finger but to potentially save your life .. and improve the cars handling into the bargain.

F1 /F100 boxes are great in hot rods , mine steers great and I can drive along hands free and it wont do anything untoward. Its nimble and active with ZERO bump steer , I didnt split my bone . But I fear you have built in problems with the solution , the steering just wont be right .

Its a horrible thing to read what you might consider a criticism. Its not a criticism its an observation. If I was your buddy visiting your garage to help wrench on your project I would pin you down before I let you drive the car with the steering the way it is .. Its not personal its not critisising Its just asking you to take another look and reconsider the solution .. I would keep quiet but I seriously think the risk of upsetting you is worth it . Your life is worth more than a few hours of revision and a few bucks in parts..

Cheers ..

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Kiwi 4d likes this.
  10. redoxide

redoxide

Just went back to revue the pics , Steering and brakes are my paranoia you can get yourself out of a lot of situations if you can steer and stop..

Looking at the brake pipe routing at the master cylinder, take a bit of time out and replace the pipes to the residual valves, and secure the 3 way and he residual to the frame . the way you have it in the pics is a recipe for a failure the pipe will vibrate and eventually cause it to fracture .. sure you have a dual circuit set up there but the residual to the front is also looking like its hanging in the wind and prone to vibration .. secure those properly and your brakes will be safe and secure from component failures due to sloppy methods .. Sorry fella , love the car love the concept , its right up my street , but having seen a couple pf problems I cant allow myself to unsee them ..

Believe me I am 100% on your side dude :) Im not ragging on your build just pointing out couple of small issues that can cause big problems.

thumbnail (11).jpg

JUNK ROD and Kiwi 4d like this.
  11. thanks for thinking of my safety......I modified the pitman arm today. This should do the trick.....

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. well, I didn't like the looks of the pitman arm .....had some good advice from a couple of hot rodders , so I took their suggestions.
    I shortened the bones and reversed the tie rod mounts..... I welded the mounts to the inside of the frame rail . I have the tie rod reversed and with these two changes I can now run a unmodified stock pitman arm.....

Attached Files:

Kiwi 4d and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. redoxide

redoxide

Excellent that looks like its supposed to be there now . I think you knew all along the pitman arm was a wee bit scary :) Glad you revisited it, sometimes you just have to step back and stare at it for a bit , the solution finds its way into your head and out to your hands eventually and your rewarded for the effort A wee bit of tweaking on the pitman is fine if you need to heat and bend it a little for additional clearance but its not altering the science that makes it do whats its supposed to be doing :). Good call

lothiandon1940 and 2345.coupe like this.
  14. well , she's done.....just some fine tuning to do .....she's up for sale.....

Attached Files:

Kiwi 4d, redoxide and lothiandon1940 like this.