Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Scattershield identification assistance, Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dave phritzie, Jul 11, 2020.

1. dave phritzie

dave phritzie
    from us

Been a while since i have been here, been busy as we all usually are. if this needs to go somewhere specific, please redirect. I am hoping that someone knows who made this scattershield, supposedly for a 55 through 83 Vette, but looks to be multiuse for any Chevy, I am hoping it will fit using a 168 tooth flywheel on a big block. a primary concern is that the block plate is not with it (gray pics from the net), and I would like to know if it might be safe to install without it. Any assistance is greatly appreciated, Thanks, D.

Attached Files:

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Sorry no help but Holy Swiss Cheese!

jimmy six likes this.
  3. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is your intended use of this?

squirrel likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

By "safe" do you mean it will protect you from any danger? or that it will pass tech at some particular race venue? Or that you'll probably be OK driving with it, on the street?

31hotrodguy likes this.

5. With all those holes it looks like a fitzall.

6. I have to agree it is a BOPCCFMLAMCEH. And whatever you want it to fit just drill the holes. As for what that stands for is; Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Chevy, Cadillac, Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, AMC, Edsel, and Hudson. So yes it will fit on a Corvette as Chevy was mentioned.

7. dave phritzie

dave phritzie
    from us

I have a 94 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 with a Carbed 84 pace arrow 454 nv4500, and 411 gears, but i cant keep a t/o bearing\hydraulic system in it for more than six months with normal street use, so I am converting it to mechanical linkage with a 1697C TOB (rounded contact surface). I dont trust the aluminum factory bellhousings, and the 55 through 72 Chevy bellhousing will not work, so I bought one like this on ebay. I can make my own plate if I have to, main thing I am worried about is if it will fit the large 168 tooth 454 flywheel, dont want to waste a week waiting if it will not.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  8. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of the nv4500 that I have seen have a front bearing retainer diameter in the range of 5.125" to 5.6". That is most likely larger than what is currently in that housing. Yes, the housing can be bored, but I think that the size difference may get you out into the clutch pivot ball area. But you can deal with that. It would appear to me that turning down the retainer would not be an option due to the size difference. But maybe some of each. I would get those specifics before buying this. I would track down a truck housing and save a bunch of aggravation and money.

9. squirrel

squirrel

Since it is a two piece, it's probably old, likely designed to fit the large flywheel. Better pictures would allow us to see more. But you don't have better pictures

Sent from my Trimline

10. dave phritzie

dave phritzie
    from us

I tried the 55 to 73 cast iron chevy bell housing, it fits the bearing retainer, but the other holes dont line up to mount the tranny, even drilling and taping the case wont work, which is what led me to the steel scattershield bellhousing, which like you said is easily modifiable.

11. dave phritzie

dave phritzie
    from us

I will post the rest of the picks, I have to photograph them with my phone due to all the internet propriety stupidity.

12. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok. So what is the front bearing retainer OD?

13. dave phritzie

dave phritzie
    from us

Coincidently, this ebay item posted at the same time mine was removed for sale, but hopefully it answers the question, since it has BB and SB taped on it. And the two piece design was why I wanted it so I could change the TOB and clutch disc without pulling the bellhousing, I can rest the input shaft of the NV4500 on the bellhousing without completely having to drop the tranny and transfer case.

Attached Files:

14. dave phritzie

dave phritzie
    from us

from my notes,
    The sm420 is indexed to 4.686 inches, sm465 is indexed to 5.125 inches, and the sm465 bell housing is the same as an sm420 bellhousing, with the major difference being the large round opening is larger on an sm465 housing. Early Chevy NV4500 is indexed to 5.125 inches, while later chevy and all dodge nv4500 transmissions share a common bellhousing mounting pattern indexed to 5.60 inches.

15. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your nv4500 will not bolt up to the existing trans mount holes on the bellhousing. The mounting face may or may not have enough room to drill for the nv4500 mounting. Do you know which bearing retainer diameter that you have? You might get more info on a truck forum.

16. dave phritzie

dave phritzie
    from us

Yeah, I know, all of that is why I went to the steel scattershield bellhousing, and I have the 5.125 retainer.

17. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

What about input shaft length compatibility with the depth of the housing, is that going to fit??

1933_willys_77 likes this.
  18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Garage sale?

19. dave phritzie

dave phritzie
    from us

That was the reason I was asking if anyone knew if the plate was required, the one I bought does not have the plate, but the 94 GMC bellhousing transmission mounting point to block depth is the same. I dont mind, actually prefer to add a quarter to a half inch of steel plate to the scattershield, to ensure proper transmission bolt threading, as well as adding a welded nut to the inside of the scattershield.

20. rusty valley

rusty valley

wouldnt it be better to figure out why it eats up throw out bearings? they dont all do that or nobody would buy one. something is wrong with yours. crooked sumthin

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'd set it up and use a dial indicator to check for run out on the faces.

22. dave phritzie

dave phritzie
    from us

What I personally think the problem is, is the flat faced throwout bearing riding on the peak of the clutch disk, with no freeplay built into the system. Chevy used three t/o bearings short, cc1705c, medium G1625C tall 1697C, the first two are flat, the last is rounded. Stole that image from someone here, net didn't say who. I got the bellhousing in the mail since I last posted, and have taken it to the machine shop where they drilled the holes, working on getting it installed, will post as events occur.

t o bearings short, cc1705c, medium G1625C tall 1697C.jpg

bell housings.jpg

23. dave phritzie

dave phritzie
    from us

Well, I got it, and it bolted up, the scattershield is 1/8 of an inch shorter than the factory bellhousing. No conflict with the bigblock standard flywheel. Because the truck is a 94 GMC, I moved what I am going to be doing over to the GMT400 site.

24. squirrel

squirrel

Is that 1/8" due to the block plate?

25. I absolutely do not recognize that one. Most of the time you need the block plate to keep the clutch from binding.