Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Will a small upper radiator hose hurt my water flow?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shivasdad, Jul 10, 2020.

1. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I am putting a 1957 Cadillac 365 in a 1938 Dodge. Long term project but I started working on the radiator today. The radiator fits, it has a newish appearing core. The bottom outlet was a downward ninety, which doesn't work, so we are soldering in a straight outlet on the bottom. Meanwhile, the top outlet is 1-1/8" ID. It's soldered, it's in place, and it points in the right direction to hook it up to the engine. The water neck on the Cadillac engine is about 1-3/8" on the inside but has a huge casting that takes a 1-3/4" hose (or bigger). With some more work we could change the top to a more standard size, but only if the small inlet to the radiator would hurt. What do you guys think? I find so much help here on the HAMB, so Thank You in advance.

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Can't see why it would hurt? The open thermostat wont allow that much flow anyway. I'd try it and see how it works. Worst thing that could happen is you'd pull the radiator and upsize the upper outlet later.

sgtlethargic and squirrel like this.
  3. BJR

BJR

With a thermostat in there, I don't think it would restrict the flow. I would go for it. Engine driven fan with a shroud and you should be fine.

4. ...cut a piece of hose that fits the upper outlet, then slip another bigger hose over that that fits the neck on the Cad ...done this many times, works great, some new cars do this ...using rubber sleeves under the hose.

19Eddy30 and squirrel like this.

5. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Thanks guys. I never thought about the thermostat being more restrictive, which it certainly will be. I'll definitely run one and will have the engine driven fan and shroud. It will be a while before it all goes together but I can finish the radiator. One step at a time.

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Good parts stores sell pre- made reducer sleeves just for this purpose. I've used them with no problem.

Just Gary likes this.
  7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

^^^^x2^^^^