Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Saw Mill Special.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mitch 36, Apr 8, 2018.

1. MANYOLCARS, do you possibly have a passenger door for a roadster/ touring? The one I found in the dirt under the body after I moved it is pretty darn rough, maybe fixable with ALOT of work,,maybe. Mitch.

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Im building a single seater with a 230 dodge flathead six. Dont know much about them but it sounds like if you treat them nice they will last forever. IMG_2965.JPG

3. I'll give you your money back for it, nice score, and a nice father and son project.

4. NOPE, but thank anyways. :):):)

5. philo426

philo426

Should be an awesome project!

6. I'm hoping so, just need to get to it, the gears in my tiny brain have been spinning in overdrive!!

7. dwollam

dwollam

Don't think anyone said but none of the 12 volt engines were 5 main. Just 3 and that big starter/generator chain really limits rpm. Usually when that chain breaks, so does most everything else. 6 volt engines did away with that chain and were separate starters and generators.

Dave

8. Thanks Dave, that chunk will be going elsewhere than in that chassis. Also, I was thinking about what the37kid said about the 12 volt starter-generator and will probably save that to power a weird project down the road, something that will make the "TREE HUGGERS" a little less anti anything fun !! Maybe a something along the lines of the contrived ancient chopper photo HOTRODPRIMER posted awhile back ,only electric powered and kinda traditional ,,,,,if that's possible!! It's about time I put together another scooter. Mitch.

9. Oh, just so there is no confusion, this build will NOT include any of that dreaded "PATINA" bullshit. It will be all cleaned and painted, possibly brush painted , but painted none the less. My Grandfather nor my Dad would have driven a beater hotrod so thats the way it will be. Sorry, Mitch.

46international and Okie Pete like this.
  10. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_0176.JPG IMG_0175.JPG IMG_0174.JPG I have a publication from Okla A&M June , 1937 , plans for the construction of a small wind-electric plant. The generator used is a Dodge starter /generator. Just in case you feel the urge to build a wind generator .

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  11. Damn Pete, I've long been a proponent of wind power, NEVER even thought about using the generator for that. Thanks for the heads up. Mitch.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. any updates ???

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. The frame is outside, sheet metal is in the shed and the tub is sitting on it's firewall in the garage behind my Ford. Waiting on the 36 Ford being sold and my son taking my 36 Chevy somewhere else than here so I have room and cash to start building. We're on the look out for a running A chassis to use as a donor for the drive line and stuff. I can see it in my tiny brain !!! Mitch

bondojunkie likes this.
  14. Ok, I have sold my 36 FORD so I have now space to start on the Dodge. This will not be a quick build so sittight and wait for updates. Gonna be a good time i promise......Mitch

sko_ford, Denns1989 and scott27 like this.
  15. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

A neighbor bought a mid-20ish Dodge coupe years ago, at a car auction. It had been in a barn some 30 years, but was properly stored. We spent most of a day trying to get that sucker running, to no avail. Finally, can't remember how we got clued in, we hooked it up to 12 volt battery, and she fired right up!

16. Not much of an update but,,,my Ford sold in Febuary, thought I was going to get a space to start building but low and behold, she's still sitting in the garage waiting to be picked up. Hopefully this week she'll go to her new home and I can start crackin, only time will tell may have to start charging rent,, HAHA. Mitch.

BigO likes this.
  17. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Mitch, I can relate. I finely got the '40 Merc out of the shop so I can work on the modified T. I may even have room to take some pics later this week. Jim

BigO likes this.
  18. Jim, hope to see some pics (as does Greg) maybe it'll give me some more incentive to push that "OTHER GUYS" 36 FORD out side and get to getting !! Mitch.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  19. Sorry to disappoint but the Saw Mill Special project is up for sale and will hopefully be going to get built by someone else. We had big plans for it but alas with all that’s going on, it just ain’t gonna happen. I felt that I had one more build in me but finances and the like say no. I will try to build vicariously thru all you other guys and just dream. Oh Well, at least I still got my 36 Chevy, Mitch.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Bummer. I thought I was done last year, but got surprised by a car at the swap meet I'd wanted since the 60's in high school. I bought my '39 Chev coupe then, and sold my '63 Falcon gasser to finance the '39 build, and make room for it also. 16 months later, I've just got it on the road driving, but still not done. I'm absolutely, 100% sure this is my last build....I think.

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I just read through the entire thread Mitch.

I was going to suggest getting an engine out of a piece of obsolete farm machinery. Around here outdated harvesters and tractors can be found for "dirt" cheap, pun intended. Sorry your plans had to change. I hope another HAMBer will pick it up and run with it.

22. After reading THEFRENCHTOWNFLYER's post about build threads that go cold, just now, I'm updating my build thread that never was. The "SAW MILL SPECIAL" was sold last year to a fella that needed it more than my SON did. My Son, David, realized that he didn't have funds for the proper build and with me being retired, I wasn't in a position to front the cash. This is closure for anyone that was, at the time,, interested, thanks. Mitch

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Tutashen, sko_ford, patmanta and 7 others like this.