Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville Update...Who's Going?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonB, Jun 21, 2020.

1. The bend is mostly dirt. There's lots of room. Bonneville 2010 420.jpg

2. There is no Salt at the Bend. As Bad Bob said it's a mud flat.
    Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

And if you don't want to park in the bend with all the people and maybe mud. You have a large dessert outside of the bend that you can park in, It's still aways to the lands end and the salt flai from the bend.

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

I remember that motorcycle it was at Ohio too.

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks, guys, this will be my first trip. How long does the mud last after the rain? I know that’s a loaded question, but does it dry fast or linger? We are on no schedule , so we could wait out the mud. We will be in motorhomes and don’t want to get stuck! We have no problem camping a few extra days to avoid getting stuck in the mud. Thanks, in advance.

Bones

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. There are some semi-decent camping spots straight up the hills north of the bend. Somewhat cooler and much quieter than camping at the bend.

Mick

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

I'll have my 4wd full size pickup, I'll help pull you out :)

8. Last time I camped at the Bend I couldn't get my 4wd Ranger to move. Mud was as slippery as Astroglide. Took me 45 minutes to make it 100 yards. Slept on @Rocky hotel room floor that night. By the next morning it had turned to glue and folks were getting their wheelwells stuck full trying to get out.

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you park on the outside of the bend you will not be in the mud. That was the point of my previous post. Then you could walk across the road and be in the bend with the masses.

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. Yes, West of the bend on the hill is much better

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks guys! look for me! I should be there.

Bones

Tman and loudbang like this.
  12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess there were a few cancelled room in Wendover from folks like us from overseas . We obviously can’t fly with our locked borders or would not want to be in parts of the US at present. Have fun on the salt.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    DemonTweaks, Baumi and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. It is safer in 90% of the US than any place else on the planet. Kill your television

X-Farmboy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

One year Coddington was out there with his wife and a roadster they put together for her in an attempt to become a member of the 200 mph club. He had this giant motorhome/bus that he ended up getting stuck in the salt/mud on the west side of the road going out. I think there was a photo shoot that was going to be happening. Got that thing stuck big time. A tow truck was sent out which got stuck, then a tractor tow trunk was sent out to get him out and that too got stuck. From what I understand they eventually had to send out s crane to get everybody out.

15. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

Just had surgery and with all the covid issues around just cancelled my res at the KOA in Wendover. This really hurt but hope to be back next year.

16. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

If you're planning on attending, you've got some homework to do.
    From SCTA website:

2020 Speed Week Mandatory Release Forms
    The forms below must be completed before entering the salt by all workers, entrants, crews & spectators. All signatures and dates must be signed in Blue Ink and originals submitted at the Gate. The Release Form #1 & #2 must be filled out by everyone 18 and older and Release Form #2 & #3 must be filled out by a parent or guardian for anyone 17 and under wanting to enter the salt. We will have these forms at the end of the road, but it would make the lines go faster if you could have these printed & filled out before coming.

http://www.scta-bni.org/2020-speed-week-mandatory-release-forms.html

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

^^ Good for everyone planning to go to do ahead of time

18. printed mine off already!

19. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

If you're staying at the Bend-in-the-Road, it's a good idea to park your rig heading out, not parallel to the road. That enable the cheapest tow if you're stuck.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Tman like this.
  20. Wise words as usual

21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We were all told not to go out on the right side of the courses because it was soft salt. Boyd of course was smarter than all of us since he had been to the salt so many times(yeah right) I believe it was one of the funniest things we had ever watched on the salt. As I remember if it wasn’t for Mike Spaseck (sp) They would have never gotten thru tech inspection. I wonder now if they even had a rule book.

22. One month away! Anybody else going?

loudbang likes this.
  23. I am still in got my tickets ,printed my forms ready to go.

RMR&C and loudbang like this.
  24. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

You can take a left at the bend and go up the mountain. There is unlimited camping up there. And if it rains you won't sink up to the axles.

mctim64, Tman, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  25. So Cal Greg

So Cal Greg

I will be there. First time. I appreciate all the info which has been provided.

Boneyard51, loudbang and RMR&C like this.
  26. Phil1934

Phil1934

covid keeping me home. I'm disappointed but will watch live stream.

loudbang, RMR&C and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Yes the 248.6 is fastest mile in Blthville on the mile. We decided too hot and just prepping and rechecking for Bonneville would be more productive than heading to AK .

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

I will be there with the streamliner project getting pre teched and Indy roadster for my commuter

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb, Atwater Mike, hrm2k and 4 others like this.
  29. It appears that the stars may be aligning for me this year (of all years) for my first trip out to the salt. I have a customer at work with a facility in Promontory, UT that is due for some service work. I usually fly in to SLC, rent a car and drive up to the customer site.
    this year the plan is to fly in on Sunday the 9th, customer 10,11,12 then drive to Tooele, UT and get a room 13, 14,15 and drive over to the salt everyday as its only about 1.5 hour each way which is only about 30 min longer than my daily commute every other day...lol)
    I heard car rental companies hit you with an extra cleaning fee no matter how good you hose and vac the car before you return it. Anyone with experience shed light on that?
    also, aside from the obvious things like cooler, water, sun screen, hat, long pants and shirt, etc anything i should plan on picking up before i attempt to spend the day there?
    thanks.
    Chappy

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. You can line the floor with tape and garbage bags but self adhesive carpet protector works better. its the clear stuff you see on floors in model homes. I always have sandwich fixins in the cooler as well as any other snacks you may want or need.

Atwater Mike and chryslerfan55 like this.