Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical OK, What is IT??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jrblack30, Jul 9, 2020.

1. OK, I have owned this marvelous piece of Automotive History for 5 years now and I do not know what the hell it is. Any help on this one. It came as part of an estate sale I bought out 5 years ago.

The guy that passed Ischua Dave from Ischua , NY. Some east coast guys may know him. Dave was a old school Sprint car guy. He bought and sold at most swap meets all over NY, Ohio, and Pensylvania. He could not walk past a good deal. Well after he passed his daughter had a yard/estate sale. I bought this along with some contents of his shop warehouse.

I think it is either a transmission rebuild stand or maybe a QC rebuild stand. I have tried many different transmission bell housing, nothing fits. I have tried Halibrand and Franklin quick changes housings, nothing fits.

The mains frame looks like it should bolt to the work bench or wall. The U shaped casting can be moved around and the T shaped member slides along the frame as well as rises in height.

So, here we are. WHAT THE HELL IS IT??

upload_2020-7-9_17-52-58.png

upload_2020-7-9_17-53-24.png

upload_2020-7-9_17-53-53.png

upload_2020-7-9_17-54-21.png

2. squirrel

squirrel

Question is, what automatic transmission does it hold?

Pist-n-Broke, Hnstray and olscrounger like this.
  3. Jim,

I have tried many different trans bell housings and adapters. Nothing fits the U shaped bracket. The bracket dwarfs any thing that I try to put in there.

Do you think, maybe I am missing attachments? I am thinking the the swing arms that are on an engine stand? that would make it adjustable for anything you want to put in there.

4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno what the hell it is...but thank god it's adjustable:p

5. It’s for adjusting dodge nova-Tunisians on there 54-56 triangulated Pham bearings!:D

It’s almost certainly a transmission holding fixture.with the holes in the back adjustable leg I would think your missing a few pieces.

or maybe a Dyna flow ? Or something else with a large bell housing?

6. squirrel

squirrel

Perhaps a truck SAE bellhousing?

deathrowdave likes this.
  7. MojoRacing

MojoRacing

Looks like an old Kent More transmission hold fixture. I can't make out the entire number but it resembles their part numbers.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In the industrial areas near out old Westside Long Beach house we saw these used as brackets for big pipes when bolting them together. There was always some construction going on in those yards. The sliding brace is to make sure of the straight line and cut, kind of like a giant lathe. In the giant welding shop near our house, they used this type of bracket to weld together large pipes or bends. They also use them for supports while cutting the large pipe to make it fit another end of the pipe. We spent a lot of time in those industrial yards, as it was a few blocks from our house.

Before we discovered the Douglas Aircraft Surplus Yard on the border of Lakewood and Long Beach, these Westside Long Beach yards were a bicycle ride away or a short drive in my brother's cars. These yards led to others just down the streets closer to Terminal Island and Wilmington.

Jnaki

Automotive usages? Who knows, it could be a transmission brace, but why would you need to brace a transmission? All of the work is usually done on a strong table. The sliding brace is usually used for measurement before cutting something. In this day and age, it could be anything for any purpose, even a large holder for a spun aluminum shaping machine...

34 GAZ, stillrunners and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  9. jaracer

jaracer

Looks a lot like the transmission holder for a cast iron Powerglide. If it is, I think some pieces are missing. Everything on that trans is real heavy and you have to slide it apart in pieces. The stand made the process much easier. I did one for a guy maybe 8 years ago and thought I had wrestled a bear when I was done.

62SY4 likes this.
  10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

11. squirrel

squirrel

now it clicks....

(when I was 16 and did my first CI PG, I sure didn't have one of those)

trans.jpg

12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Nice find on the historic photos. I take it back. From our home builders experience messing around with transmissions, stick and automatic during our early days... Obviously we did not have a brace or support mounts like the factories or repair shops.

Jnaki

Lathe style braces used for welding large objects was used, only not in this case. Thanks for the update.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If you're not going to use it for transmissions, mount an inner tube to it, hook it on the slider, load some ammo, pull back and let her fly. :)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. steeltappet

steeltappet
    from PA

I have a cast iron powerglide you can try. You just have to remove it from the car and put it back when your done :)

VANDENPLAS and Jet96 like this.
  15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Still... @jnaki made a solid point, as I recall similar fixtures for the alignment of 24" concrete pipe...in my plumbing contractors apprentice days...
    But thanks to @squirrel, we can put our minds to rest once again.
    Get astride. With Powerglide!

jnaki and VANDENPLAS like this.