Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Sbc oil filter relocation plate identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thepartsbinguy1, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I pulled this oil relocation plate and canister with hydraulic lines off of a Chevy 283 some pretty stupid things happened and the plate ended up getting welded shut. Now years later I would like to get another one of these plates and start using this canister but this exact plate just doesn’t seem to exist? I see the big canisters for sale on eBay.. seem worthless to buy because the plates are never for sale? DA074357-BE4F-40F3-90E4-239E283C0A78.jpeg 3D94B525-57AB-47B2-A317-4BA90F09473A.jpeg C9BDF43D-E827-4CBC-A0DA-9E1F976E6E41.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

take the plate off the motor, and show us the underside. It might be home made, you know.

The threaded holes in that filter don't look quite big enough for full flow use....but it's hard to tell for sure.

lippy and 1934coupe like this.
  3. 54vicky

54vicky

should be easy enough to tap the plate.but possibly a reason they are welded when found.as Jim said the flow looks by the size of line fittings too restrictive.may have been an idea like the high mileage carbs etc. of yesteryear.I have feeling there may be some parts missing such as where does the oil return line attach.

4. Unless you need a specific "traditional" engine plate, just buy the type that will best suite your needs and plumb it to the remote canister.

5. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Here is a picture of the bottom of the plate the middle was threaded for a hydraulic line but was welded shut. and the bend was screwed in with a cap to keep from leaking. I am gonna drill the plate out and tap it for a different line. As for flow I’m sure it’s enough. The plate uses a traditional 283 canister gasket 4A400CD8-F8F2-4CF9-A4BB-AC31BC9130C5.jpeg 99C30992-353A-4C99-974F-24A3F8B12EBC.jpeg

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Looks like someone tried to get a 55 only oil filter to work on a newer block,I think the 55 V8 filter was a bypass design like on the six cylinders and might not work too good as a full flow.

big duece likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

I think the filter canister is something that was NOT installed on the vehicle...it's something he found, and wants to install.

Is there an aluminum part in there, too? it would have been between the steel plate, and the block. Something that that small round gasket might have sealed against...????

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Looks rather homemade to me. :)

9. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Anything under 5/8" hose is going to be a restriction if you intend this to be full flow. All of your current remote filter mount kits for full flow are either 5/8" or 3/4" hose (-10AN or -12 AN).
    Ports on that filter can are also not big enough for full flow.

No way is what is there now going to cut it for full flow, bad risk for spun bearings with that much restriction.
    Just look at how big the center return hole is in a spin-on filter cartridge.

Another thing, with no return back to the center of that plate, there is no flow to anything in the engine unless that outlet hose nipple comes back to a port above the filter boss or at the top rear of the block....or the intermediate oil galley plug below the rear main cap was left out.

With the line capped like it is currently, the only way the bearings and the rest of the engine would get any oil is with that intermediate diverter plug left out of the engine so that the filter mount is bypassed entirely.

My opinion, that plate belongs right in the trash can, it is a completely screwed up hack job modification.

Almost looks like the plate is the bottom of a stock canister filter machined off with holes drilled in it.

X38 likes this.
  10. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Drilled through the weld and tapped it. The bards fit extremely tight. I have bunches of high pressure line and I bet Napa has the wix filter in stock so now where getting somewhere. 28B34E2E-0B7B-4196-9783-54B0521A7FBA.jpeg D9F2C514-4B87-48A7-B808-2EACB1BCBAFD.jpeg

11. squirrel

squirrel

what is the ID on those barb fittings? Full flow filtration takes rather large hoses. If they are too small, the filter bypass valve will open. If it's there. Which might be OK, I don't know.

12. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

3/8 inner assume the bypass valve isn’t there. I am also now very curious I have been running the plate welded shut on two or three different engines and never had a problem? If the filter couldn’t flow enough wouldn’t the oil just push through the passage it’s been pushing through when the plate was installed on the engine’s welded shut?

13. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Or when the plate was welded shut have I been running off the bypass the whole time? Oil pressure never moves from 60 pounds and there is oil at the rockers that is with the whole plate capped and welded shut

14. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

The home made plate doesn’t bolt tight to the block. There is a very small space in between the plate and block. The oil pump pushes oil towards the plate till it smashes into it then when the very small gap between the plate and block is filled the oil is forced to the normal return gallery. for what it’s worth oil flow will most likely not even change. I feel like it would stop feeding the filter and push past to the normal return gallery it’s pushed into after the oil would hit the welded/capped shut plate.

15. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

If there is a gap between the block and the plate then it is just bypassing all the time, and your filter will be doing little to nothing since you'll have both the outgoing and incoming fittings both exposed to the same oil cavity.
    The stock route is: oil from the pump comes in the side passage on the block cavity, down around the outside of the filter media, through the filter into the center, and back into the block through the center hole and onward to oil the engine.

You've got to understand the oil route and flow path....what you've got is just a cobbled up no filtering mess frankly....even if you could seal that center return fitting to the center passage in the block, those fittings are woefully small for full filtration. . 5/8" fitting ID would be the bare minimum on full filtration.

Just look at any common remote filter kit sold today for full flow. Notice how the two cavity's are kept separate, and the size of the ports??!!!!!
    [​IMG]

The can you've got is much like a Frantz filter, made only for bleed bypass filtering. The ports are not sized for full flow.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    squirrel likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

I'm pretty sure that the plate was originally made to work with the early (56-through 67ish) canister filter type engines. See the gasket around the center opening? It would meet up with the round piece in the middle of the bypass valve.

[​IMG]

bypass.jpg

The thing is that the bypass valve would be open part or all of the time, if the filter lines are that small, and the filter will just filter part of the oil. Which is how the 1955 small block worked, by design. So it's not like the world will end if you don't have a proper full flow filter system. It just affects engine life, in terms of getting a few more tens of thousands of miles out of it before it wears stuff out completely.

otoh....i just overhauled a Model T engine, which has no oil pump or filter, and it still has most of it's original bearings after almost 100 years (although they've been adjusted smaller, to take up the wear)

The plate you have is designed for older engines, not the 350 that it's on now. It really wont' do anything to add the filter, except look like it has a filter on it.