Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dumb Alternator Bracket Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Without bone yards any more in Ca. to experiment and or look at things of old. Old, yes that's it. I can not remember if a bracket listed for headers will work on early Chevy exhaust manifolds. Will these two marry up to one another without having belt alignment issue? Thanks
    [​IMG]
    upload_2020-7-9_17-30-30.jpeg

2. squirrel

squirrel

Just Gary likes this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ That's exactly why I'm asking. $$$$$

4. squirrel

squirrel

I think the bracket you pictured, is designed just to what you want to do with it. If you have to move stuff around to make it work, that's easy, compared to spending vette part money. And repops usually cost a lot less than NOS

Just Gary, scotty t and Johnny Gee like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

pitman and Johnny Gee like this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That's how I see it as well. I'd also bore rear pivot hole bigger to put sleeve in that slide like OE's did it as well.

squirrel likes this.
  7. Are you looking for the factory brackets for factory manifolds ? Or running headers and looking for that kind of bracket ? Factory brackets for factory manifolds shouldn't be hard to find.......

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

For manifolds. As for finding, that's not the problem. As I stated I'm not spending big many to be correct. I just need something that works with the least amount of money spent.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No kidding. I've skipped on them for a long time. Now that I need to go them again, well, you know why I/we can't go.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In the span of time this thread took through post #10, a part like that could have been made in even a minimally equipped home shop.

1” x 1/4” mild steel strap stock, a hacksaw, a drill, a vise , a hammer and a good file or bench grinder. A welder would be handy, but alternatively, the pieces could be bolted together.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  11. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Note that 1/4" strap is too thin - I bought one at a speed shop (30+ years ago) and it soon cracked from the engine vibration.

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That bracket pictured is only half of the set! There's a 2nd half that bolts to the front exhaust port on #1 cylinder and then that bracket bolts to it. The first half has slots in it to allow the piece shown to move forward or back to align the belt.
    Like these:
    [​IMG]
    You can use these on headers, or cast manifolds. But you'll need to use spacers under each bolt head to clear the manifold on cast iron manifolds. I just cut them from thick wall tubing.

Just Gary likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

Do you have a welder and a drill press? My thinking is if you have to buy a part then modify it, just make your own.

Boryca likes this.
  14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Smog pump bracket, if you can find one

15. You're right, 1/4" is too thin also.

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That is probably the easiest bracket to make but I know a local parts place has them in chrome. I think they are Mr. Gasket brand . Like $16.00

Just Gary likes this.
  17. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

There's a boneyard in Tehachapi, Dennison Road

18. squirrel

squirrel

Uh....look again at the first post in the thread. His manifold has this part built in. The bracket you showed is designed to work with headers, after you remove the manifold that he is installing

:)

1oldtimer, lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Problem is I'm laid off due to Covid. The vast majority of my personal tools are still there. All the big stuff that makes this super easy to make will cost $20 in fuel and 2 hrs of travel.

It's the combination of both header bracket and alt bracket causing the flex. Not my issue here.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  20. Gman0046

Gman0046

There are 9 pages of Chevy alternator brackets for auction or purchase on eBay right now.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Pay closer attention to some of those shipping cost's.

22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have used both types over the years--wife's 55 has had one with the header mount as well for 35 years-no issues-on the stock top long curved arm they used to break too at the adjustment slot-we always welded two together. I'll look in my junk-may have one.

Johnny Gee and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Hey Johnny pm me your adress I'll send you one.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Johnny
    I have a cast OEM alt mount, it's for 64-67 V8 ChevyII/Novas, I can send you one if the bolt spacing matches your needs. I'm on my way out the door but can measure it and post a photo this afternoon.
    By the way, I also have some misc. alternator adjuster arms, the curved ones, let me know your needs.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thanks for the offer. The one you speak of is the high mount one correct? If so it uses a different adjuster arm that mounts to both water pump and intake. On a personal level I'd like to stay as low as possible and keep the look as close to 1956 as I can.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sent a PM Johnny.

27. Honestly, the bracket/mount looks quiet like the alt mount on a 250 inline. This is just my memory speaking here!! I’ve got a spare if you need one. Then all you’d need was the other steel plate part, easy enuf to fab up I’m sure. PM me if it’ll work and you are in need , only cost ya shipping from Denver. Mitch

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I did see the manifold he has is the type with the built in alternator bracket. But the bracket he pictured is the type used with the header bracket I pictured. And I've used those for both headers and cast iron manifolds. As I mentioned, just need thin spacer bushings to use them on cast iron manifolds. It's easy to cut that factory casting off if the holes don't match up.
    I'd make a new bracket if I wanted to fit the existing manifold cast bracket, before I wasted time trying to modify something, and maybe end up with an ugly bracket. Unless it lined up perfectly with the pulley, and the manifold. Even if it lined up with the manifold, there's no guarantee it lines up the pulley. But with the two piece bracket you have adjustable to slide the alternator forward or back.

29. squirrel

squirrel

I'd get a used, stock bracket that was removed from one of those manifolds, myself...

Sporty45 likes this.