Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The GM alternator keeps my car running, Diode needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hollywood-East, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

This is just a quick simple solution to that car won't shut off issue...
    I was working on a O/T Gm powered that had this very issue... Realized I only had one Diode left for said fix..
    I still had the store bought package when radio shack was still brick an mortar, Searched the part # , Sure enough it was still available
    Soo I thought I'd shoot you guy's needing help in this department the fix, splice/solder one of these in the keyed wire going to the alternator , Slide a piece of heat shrink on before, Done! KIMG7301.JPG KIMG7300.JPG

2. trollst

trollst

Or....you could hook that wire to the acc side of the ign switch, does the same thing.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like to go to the drive-in.

If I wired my ignition like that, I might not get it started when it is time to leave.

Diodes are cheap, and easy to install, and are much better than getting yelled at by the wife.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crazy-town! I thought they were long gone.

I just bought 30!

Hollywood-East likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Any electronics supplier will sell you gobs of 1N4004 diodes for anywhere from a few cents to a half a buck apiece, depending on brand, quantity desired, etc.

6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Exactly my point.... First ya gotta know what ya need... Only point.. nothing more... I wouldn't know if a electrician friend didn't tell me.... Why.... I thought I would put it Out there... Squirrel I know you can build robot's... Not all of us can.. h-hee... Cheer's

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

If your car has a acc terminal on the switch just wire the alternator to it.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just pulled into drive in. I opened glove to rest soft drinks down then flip the on-on aka driven-default mode switch.:p:D