Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Will bondo activator, activate fiberglass resin ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indyjps, Jul 9, 2020.

1. indyjps

indyjps

Im out of fiberglass resin activator, will bondo activator work in fiberglass resin. Anyone with first hand experience.

Removing non activated fiberglass resin sounds like a nightmare. I cant get a straight answer outta google. Really trying to limit my store runs with Covid.

* All products are bondo brand

* Its not going on a car

* I know bondo is shit - compared to other brand fillers, I keep it around for these non auto projects. I use evercoat on auto stuff.

*Im not mixing bondo and fiberglass resin for "milkshake", just trying to activate straight fiberglass resin.

* please read these asterisks to avoid this thread going off the rails on the merits of this or that filler.

Thanks All

upspirate likes this.
  2. Gangrene

Gangrene

You need liquid hardener for fiberglass resin. The cream does not work .

1934coupe likes this.
  3. indyjps

indyjps

Thank you. Ill mask up and head out to the store.

upspirate and DIYGUY like this.
  4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

No it’s a different activator liquid not cream as bondo is

upspirate and 1934coupe like this.

5. upspirate

upspirate

MEKP for Polyester resin, different types of activator for epoxy resins

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    1934coupe likes this.
  6. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Fiberglass resin hardener is methyl ethyl ketone ( MEK) and Bondo hardener is benzoyl peroxide.

1934coupe likes this.
  7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@upspirate and @pirate are correct. MEKP is methyl ethyl ketone peroxide for fiberglass and for the love of Mike, don't get it anywhere around a flame or sparks. Baddddd juju:eek:

upspirate likes this.
  8. low down A

low down A

please explain why bondo is shit? i've never known any 3m product to be shit

9. Bondo was and is primarily a retail line of products that 3M had nothing to do with developing. They bought the company in order to have a cheap retail oriented and packaged product line to sell to large retail outlets.

VANDENPLAS and alanp561 like this.
  10. indyjps

indyjps

Read along with the various discussions on body work and filler on the board. I will clarify by saying bondo brand is the low side of avaialble offerings in body filler. Once you've used the other more expensive and specialized body fillers you will see that they offer different weights and the sandability and finish is greatly improved.

chopped, gimpyshotrods and alanp561 like this.
  11. indyjps

indyjps

Damn it, I got dragged into body filler debate.

I do love 3M products in general, K13 has a good point.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If they are both polyester resin it should work. Try it with a little dab and see what happens. From the way you talk you only need a little bit anyway.

13. Actual "Bondo" brand is just not that good. Lots of issues and as noted it is the type of stuff you will find in the Walmart auto parts department. Actual modern fillers are amazing products when used in the right system with glazes, primers and topcoats

indyjps and gimpyshotrods like this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. I would not use Bondo brand products to fill a dent in a dumpster.

For a good, but economical filler, Evercoat Rage Gold. My local NAPA carries it.

If you have the scratch, go to 3M.

All are available online.

indyjps likes this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. Same shit product, different parent company.

16. low down A

low down A

i know bondo brand get's a bad rap but every time i've seen were it's failed it's because it was to thick or applied low where moisture got behind it and bubbled, not filler's fault . i have stripped car's that i know the bondo brand was used over 40 year's ago on and the filler did not need replaced. i think it's like most thing's that fail it just plain wasn't applied correctly. yes it sands a little harder and clogs the first piece of paper up but it's 12 dollars a gallon compared to 60 for evercoat

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My time is almost exactly the same thing as money, almost.

I don't waste my time with inferior products, because it is almost like wasting money, with one big key difference.

I can always make more money. I can never make more time.

1/5th the price means nothing to me, if it takes 10-times longer to get a perfect finish on it. That's basic math.

I will never work harder, for longer, to save money. That's bad math. I am not bad at math.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ever buy a quart can of chopped fiberglass strand hair ie Kitty hair? That little tube of hardener looks an awful lot like Body filler hardener.

19. I didn't get sucked into this Bondo debate. Are you guys impressed?

20. low down A

low down A

no debate on my part, i wasn't defending bondo i was just stating fact's of real life. some people tend to think everything is about how important it is that everyone know's how smart they are. hand how much money they make being so professional. there is the other side which is much more important, and that is the young guy that doe's this car thing for the love of the car's, not the money

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. Way to mis-characterize this, reframing it into a context that selfishly makes you seem like a better person.

This is about letting people know, that by spending a very small sum of extra money, they can not only save themselves time, and frustration, but produce high-end body shop results, with minimal effort.

But hey, you go dude. Teach the hard way.

Suffering for savings is a noble effort.

I guess maybe you forgot that tradition means passing on the best of our knowledge to those who come after us.

VANDENPLAS, K13, RICH B and 1 other person like this.
  22. Thats' because they use the same resin formulations as body fillers do. I have talked to our chemists about this and make no mistake the resins are different and require the supplied hardeners to properly catalyze. They wrong hardeners may appear to work in other products but they are not creating a full cure of the resin and failure down the line is a very real possibility.

jnaki likes this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Can't be better said about using the right stuff. As a person who learned fiberglass/resin/catalyst work from expert finishers, it takes the right formula for the right application. Why would you want to use a fork, when the spoon is necessary? The right amount of catalyst for a resin compound is pretty much set. A few drops listed and times to harden should be noted. A larger amount of catalyst speeds up the process and can cause oddball results.

As some of my early attempts at faster curing, a double wrapped rail on an old surfboard was curing just fine. But, the repair needed one layer of glass and resin. Add in a few extra drops to speed up the curing caused some hilarious flames to start on the rail of the surfboard. The catalyst called for a certain amount per quart. I added a few drops extra to hasten the curing. Boy, was I in for a surprise.

As my technique developed, I followed the rules given by most resin/catalyst finishers. My friend worked as a final glass/resin/catalyst finisher for one of the top surfboard manufacturers in So Cal. He had it worked out through experimentation. But, because it was a commercial business, he had a chart as to how much catalyst to add to any size of container of resin, from small to gallon size. Those limits were followed to the exact specs and the boards came out outstanding, ready for any showroom floor or racks.

Jnaki

As far as mixing products, there is no need. Get the correct catalyst for the correct product and watch your mixtures closely. If you don't have a chart, look at the directions, as they are usually close to the best curing times. Don't do cheap, do it right.

24. indyjps

indyjps

Jnaki, great feedback.
    The project is a strange concrete plastic fiber composite patio table top, that has developed cracks and chipping over last winter. Have no idea what its actually made of.
    Expensive table that fits perfectly and is no longer offered. Trying to get another few years out of it with a repair and repaint. Ill likely form and pour a colored stamped texture concrete slab top to replace this one when it craps out.

The activator question was to avoid a trip to the store with covid, im high risk due a medication I take. Ill likely order resin catalyst instead of stopping at multiple stores trying to find it.

jnaki likes this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello I,

Thank you for your nice comments. Mail order of your choice will likely fill your project needs. Your project results will be better with the right ingredients. Also, the surface seems like it will last longer than a straight resin compound. Like most mail order places, Amazon does have a ton of options. But, get the right stuff from any reliable source.

This pandemic is causing difficulties with everyone, but patience is a virtue we should all have during this time. The places that we used to go weekly or monthly will still be there when this stuff is over. Our health is more important than a shopping center spree or attending questionable health risk places.

We had an outdoor table that was getting wrecked by the elements. I decided that after several early on, complete resin gloss projects that lasted for many years indoors and outdoors the same technique would work. (a hatchcover for a table top , indoor/outdoor and a long hatchcover for a stereo shelving) I decided to do the same technique on the patio table top. It looked outstanding sitting there with two separate coats of the resin catalyst mixture.
    upload_2020-7-12_5-42-5.png
    It was impressive, but with the hot So Cal sun and oddball weather of hot, cold, fog, mist, wind and rain, it took a toll on the surface. It looked good for several months, but overall, I would not do that project again. The resin can take so much and then it gives up. Water and weather always wins !!!

Jnaki
    Good luck on your project and stay safe...

indyjps likes this.

26. This !!
    Exactly this !!
    I used bondo when I was younger and did not know any better, it worked for what I needed it for but the time involved to get a good finish was mind blowing !!
    Thank God it was on beaters and “ good enough “ and a can of good old rubber rocker panel covered up my frustration.

had this conversation with my boss about getting a hot parts , parts washer a “Hotsy or Cuda”. When I told him the price 10-13000 bucks for the size we need he said, “ fuck that”

when I explained I can spend 3-4 hours cleaning a transmission and a case of brake cleaner at 10 bucks a can x 12
    Where I could put the transmission case and related items in the washer for 30-45 minutes go do something else and bill my time , come back and its cleaner then I could ever get it by hand.
    His partner who is an great business man and understands math quickly shot out. This unit will be paid for in one year of labour savings, Daniel. But what ever the fuck you want.

like @gimpyshotrods said money we can all make time once wasted is just gone.

gimpyshotrods likes this.