Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Dual Exhaust & Mufflers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 42flattman, Jul 8, 2020.

1. 42flattman

42flattman

'42 Tudor Sedan......was thinking I would like to put on 2" dual exhaust....(or possibly 1-3/4") using the stock manifolds if possible....and running the tailpipes all the way to the bumper......looking for feedback from those that have maybe done this already and how difficult with some of the clearance issues I have heard about.
    Also, I am pretty sure I have decided on either Brockman Mellowtones or Cherry Bomb's so I would be interested in some thoughts on that if you care to share.
    Thanks !

2. missysdad1

missysdad1

Pipe diameter of 1 3/4" will give you the tone you want with a flathead with stock manifolds. I prefer Smithy's mufflers (Speedway Motors) to all others because they are mellow and look traditional. This combo will give your car an old school sound that won't be too loud or hard on your ears...or anybody else's.

texasred, firstinsteele and Hdonlybob like this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 25 years ago, I put a set of Fenton cast iron headers on my '36 coupe. I built the system all the way back using 2" pipe. The only problem area was getting around the steering box. I was real proud of myself and bragged about it to everybody I met. Just about anybody who knew anything about it said the same thing as "missysdad1"; that 2" pipe was not necessary on a flathead, and in addition, would "kill the sound".

I thought it sounded fine so I left-em on.

King ford likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used 1.75" all the way to the back, Smithys, red's headers on a 471 blown flathead and it sounds purrrfect!

Tim, alchemy and Hotrodmyk like this.

5. 1pickup

1pickup

My '39 standard tudor runs out the back with NO MUFFLERS. Not really too loud. Pretty mellow & has a little bark when you hit the loud pedal.

6. 42flattman

42flattman

Looks like I will be doing 1-3/4"....probably with Brockman's (even tho the straight pipes sound interesting ??? will have to think about that some more, figured that might be too loud - maybe not with 1-3/4").....and will let a local muffler guy do it......he's been at it for 40+ yrs he said.....Thank you all for the input !

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With them back to the rear bumper you don’t need mufflers :rolleyes:

210superair and sawbuck like this.
  8. Retrorod

Retrorod

We run 1.75" to a pair of 30" glasspaks on the 8BA in the truck. It sounds really nice...not loud.

9. xix32

xix32

Jim Coffey in my old 5w.jpg
    In my `32 5window with a 59a block, I used Red's Headers and 1.75" Diameter "J" pipes and 22" Smithy's, all from Speedway. And one straight section of pipe from my local Napa store. I cut and fitted up and welded all the pipe sections myself. Since I thought finding a muffler shop with a pipe bender that could get the bends right where you want them would be a challenge.

hfh likes this.
  10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

On my '49 with stock 8BA I ran 1-3/4 off of Reds headers, no mufflers. Sounded great inside and outside the car.

11. clo

clo

On my 34 running a 59 block. I have red headers 1” 3/4 piping. The shortest brockman steel packs. Still to quiet.

12. oldsman41

oldsman41

I’m running 1 3/4 inch on my 51 merc flatty through smithys actually it is a bit to quiet

13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On my last flathead 32 roadster I ran 1.75 pipes and somehow forgot to install any mufflers. I loved it, with the pipes out the back everything sounded great.

Jet96 likes this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Way back when, (1958?) I had Babe Royer's guy 'Brownie' fit my A-V8 (channeled '30 coupe with a 59A) with Belond headers, 1-3/4" pipe thru 32" Mello-Tones.
    Whole job, parts+labor was $49.00!
    Very quiet, but in a week had a "Woom, woom" sound.
    Lots of guys asked how I made it sound like that. I told 'em it was a hot rod, they all sound like that.

15. Red's headers and Smithy's mufflers are like the Frank's Hot Sauce of hot rods... I put that sh*it on everything.

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Stockers had 8 cylinders running through one 1 7/8" pipe...
    I like to run a pair of 1 5/8" then I weld '32 to '38 steering column's top 6 inches [flare] as exhaust tips...
    had a lady I did not know walks up to me and pokes me in the chest, saying street rods have big pipes... get bigger pipes... I have run 1 5/8" pipes since just to spite her... whoever she was !

Jet96 likes this.
  17. cederholm

cederholm

Old post but I'm not against bringing back the dead.

What about Porters with 1.75" pipe? I was very happy with Porters on my old 53 Chevy stove bold with split Fentons.

1oldtimer and Just Gary like this.
  18. Bumping an old post also to add sound for others to hear.

Stock '47 with Fentons, 16" generic glass packs and 1.75" dual pipes.

1pickup, Hotrodmyk and cederholm like this.
  19. cederholm

cederholm

Sounds amazing!

20. 6sally6

6sally6

What about 1.75" pipeS with and X-pipe and NO mufflers ?
    Anybody 'ever' run a X-pipe on a flattie ? (Am I tooo far outta da box ?!)
    6sally6

21. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I’m thinking about building a set of chambered mufflers for my flattie just to see what it sounds like. :eek::confused::p:D

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see I posted but no pic, shame on me.
    upload_2024-1-8_10-35-50.jpeg