Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***July 2020 Banger Meet Thread - Four Is A Good Number***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jul 1, 2020.

1. 97

Is the firing order in anticlockwise direction on cap?

Actually if you have compression on the timing mark and it is no change at 180 degrees I would think that the valves are not opening, or are only opening a small amount. Has the lash been set correctly? Maybe the valve cover should be where you do the timing/lash investigation?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  2. railcarmover

railcarmover

I think an all stock early 283 is sexy,just as GM built it. Pull timing cover,check timing marks,bite the bullet.

[​IMG]

winduptoy likes this.
  3. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I tried to google his name and head. Only came up with a aluminum copy in 2 different compression ratios.
    Where can u get his cast iron?

4. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Compression stroke lines up with timing mark and dimple in timing gear.I will check valves next.Rebuilder claims to have set all valves before sending engine back to me.

5. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

283 was a good engine for Chevrolet i like em

6. poshdbs

poshdbs

Tod Buttermore is easily found on Facebook Model A groups. He's cast a new A block as well and I've seen a video, he's shared on youtube, of it running.

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

when i time , pull #1 plug , pull distributor cap , watch the rotor as you slowly bring #1 up to top (here i use a little round stick in plug hole) to check for top dead center . as you turn motor over , piston will push stick up (dont let it bind) , at tdc i roll the motor back & forth (very small rocking) , you can feel piston come up & start to go down , roll it back until your sure you have tdc . check distributor rotor to see if on #1 , if on #3 or 4 , its 180* out . move distributor around 180* , the recheck all .
    when rolling motor to #1 , finger in spark plug hole , you can feel compression . hope this helps

Old Dawg likes this.
  8. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Thanks,
    with the weiand head the spark plug is over the valves so its not as easy to check tdc.Im thinking it could be carb related.The carb worked good last fall but then sat on bench all winter.May need to pull apart and check.

winduptoy likes this.
  9. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Charlie’s published some of my stuff in the past, usually a surprise to me too. I’ve tried to buy extras, and each time he’s sent me several complimentary copies. Quite the Guy!

He really needs, and appreciates contributions! So, come on Crew, show him whatcha got.

winduptoy and poshdbs like this.
  10. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

He is on the other side of Cincinnati from me, not far just traffic. I need to go see him again, I want one of his front timing cover distributor adaptors.

I have a new Roof overhead from him. I planned to put it on my B rebuild, but may throttle back from that and sell it. I would like to have a cast iron Thomas head now.

winduptoy likes this.
  11. 97

Then you can look down plug hole and make sure valves are moving , even measure the lift to make sure they are lifting enough! and that the only time they both close together is on the firing stroke.

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

***** cap wiring ..... yes c/cw

13. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

I e-mailed Jim about one of his heads and he will have one available for me in a few weeks if I want one.
    But he said that because his heads are thicker than other heads it will require longer head studs, no big deal to replace them but that means an additional cost.

He also said they require less spark advance than others, around 20* max.
    FSI distributors are listed at 29* max, is it possible to recalibrate them to give less advance than that?

14. I have one of Jim's heads to try on the next engine - guess I'd better find out about spark advance too.

15. railcarmover

railcarmover

Tod's also making stock appearing cast iron model a heads with 7 to 1 winfield chambers.. Heard great stuff about Jim Brierley's cylinder head.

Burl,Id do it bone stock,not a bit of aftermarket chrome stuff..racing orange,generator,rams horns .. the whole 9 yards,just like in the picture I posted..Id be the first kid on the block who doesn't festoon it with chrome geegaws..Been thinking of going a different route for the next build,picked up a bunch of flathead at about 12 cents a pound..Its like motorcycles,the banger is a bobber,a bar hopper..want a full dresser next..

winduptoy likes this.
  16. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I have one of Jims heads and the longer studs. It was too much compression for my old engine. I replaced it with the Lions head and she runs much better. I am going to part with mine soon as I get time to list it.

I like the Brierley head also, just too much for my wore out cylinders. I like the idea of the stock head with the Winfield chambers.

hotrodfil likes this.
  17. railcarmover

railcarmover

I'm speculating but I'd say it's for the purist market,which means it will be followed by a whole bunch of threads about banged out bearings when they run their A distributor at 40 degrees advance..all blaming high compression for their failure..

winduptoy and Jet96 like this.
  18. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

no disagree here with that.

19. I might know someone that would be interested. Is it flycut for popup?

20. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

yes, I think it is. I will double check tonight when I get home.

21. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Well i went back and double checked everything and sure enough the rotor was facing the wrong way at tdc.Moved the spark plug wires and fired right off.Thanks for the input on double checking the basics.Now i can figure out why the pilot or through out bearing is making some weird noises banger.jpg

22. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Tod is making a run of iron Thomas, Winfield, and stock flattop with the crow foot chamber now. I put my name on a stock flattop.

23. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Roadster developed a real bad knock a week ago. Sidelined until my juice brake, column shift, rebuilt motor chassis is done this fall. Bummed but knew it would happen eventually with putting a Snyders 6.2 on a tired motor...

I'm going to Bonneville for the first time next month as a spectator so it would be sitting anyway.

24. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

That is what's going to happen to me also. Rebuilding a B engine now for winter swap. I guess the old tired short block I am running now is my test bed.

MJW likes this.
  25. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

69785DEA-7577-4802-9C91-160BBCD97585.jpeg Lookit what came in the mail last night!

winduptoy and Binger like this.
  26. railcarmover

railcarmover

Damn,that one lobe looks funny,hella long duration :)

winduptoy and Jet96 like this.
  27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

fuel pump lobe (model B)

28. When that lobe comes into play you have lots of problems...............
    Is that a Stipe billet cam? Nice.
    John

29. railcarmover

railcarmover

I've got all kinds of funny ones..one with 5 perfectly round lobes that came out of a motor that only used three.

I was curious about that too, a lot of meat on the heel means new stuff..stipe b grind high lift?

winduptoy likes this.
  30. I am not sure you can get much more lift with a stk OD cam, my builds are about .350
    With the larger OD .430 lift, but that requires major work.
    From the picture it looks nice, the machine work shows craftsmanship through and through. Who ever made it should be proud.
    J

winduptoy likes this.