Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding upside down-ish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Via the power of online shopping, you still can. ;)
    That and the fact that your $ exchange rate is extremely favorable.

2. spanners

spanners

Nah. Everybody knows that you only have to wear the appropriate welding clobber down here. Short shorts ,singlet and thongs (flip flops). Thongs are to allow the welding splatter to get between your toes, the singlet ensures the welding tan marks to the upper chest and the short shorts let the right sized blob of molten metal to singe the Jatz crackers.
    I think we've all been there, done that.

j-jock, Bandit Billy and indyjps like this.
  3. topher5150

topher5150

I think I would literally die of heat stroke wearing that in this heat.
    Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

indyjps likes this.
  4. On some work sites OH&S regulations don't give you a choice.
    Can't say I would want to wear them in summer either.

5. Retrorod

Retrorod

I'd first run a flap wheel down that sheet metal. A little prep work helps.

6. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I don't know where I first heard this but 3 rules of welding are ;
    You can't weld dirt. You can't weld air. You can't weld what you cant see. Now I've broken all of these at one time or another but it's not easy and it's usually not very pretty.

7. indyjps

indyjps

Shipping will kill it.
    I found out a funny thing working in Tasmania. The ocean freight to get from Melbourne to Tasmania is as much or more than the ocean freight to get from China to Melbourne.

8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sissy;)

9. Same NZ to AU. So close yet so expensive.
    Don't assume.;)

10. If you're looking for something to help welding gaps, find a hunk of scrap copper pipe and smash it flat with a BFH. Leave enough for a handle. You can buy fancy copper thangs for the same purpose or you can spend about 8 cents and 10 minutes and make a bunch in different shapes and sizes. You hold these behind the gap you're trying to fill, weld won't stick to copper.

j-jock likes this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Words of wisdom. I have an array of these copper tubes flattened, handles on the ends of most. (also some shorties that just fit in some tight places)
    Our house had a water warming system on the roof, looked like solar panels...
    I removed them, and 'earned' about 22 feet of 3/4" copper pipe! This became my set of copper backers, all are stored in #3 rollaway, 2nd to bottom drawer.
    I draw 'em like a gun...

12. I know we all love the Old Car stuff and building them seems to be what it's all about. What I'm constantly reminded of on this sight is that what some of us make look easy only get's others in trouble. There is No substitute for a good Teacher and lots of practice. Just because you own a welder don't make you one and when you don't even know what tools you should use, often after cutting things apart they should just stay apart. Reading on line and looking at How-To's still can't replace hands on lessons. topher5150 I genuinely feel bad for you. You have a mess growing there that's only going to keep growing till someone steps in and gives you a hand on sight that knows what to do next. Good intentions seldom bring good results when you don't have good knowledge. Assuming you get that Gap seam pulled together what part isn't going to fit right, the Deck lid or the Fender or both?

flatford39 likes this.
  13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Cleaning up the weld area is necessity not optional! You can't get by without cleaning it just because it isn't easy!

14. I'd be getting after it with this in an angle grinder (and full face protection) to start with. Then abrasives, like 35 - 60 grit.
    [​IMG]

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve done quite a bit when repairing our 1/2 mile dirt Super/Pro Stock. I’ve gotten pretty good at it depending on metal thickness 1/8” up I’m ok with our Hobart mig. From what I’ve read your really not supposed to do it at all. I would not want to try thin stuff.,

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Muffler shop put new tailpipes on for me, not rusted out, just changed to behind axle. I said aren't you going to clean the rust off? Nope, just burn though or something he said. Great looking MIG beads, 360 degrees. I guess it comes from doing it all day.

17. Budget36

Budget36

This is entertaining to say the least.

Let's start a thread on how to weld rusty sheetmetal.

jimgoetz and lippy like this.