Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 2 door 150 handyman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Well thank you very much :D

loudbang likes this.
  2. Good man...I’ll freely admit I was too lazy to go hunting for the information....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

For nearly 40 years since unlocking the mystery of how turn signals work I'm still in the need to know. But in your defense there is a lot of electrical stuff I won't reply to. This one I had a good feeling the info was being taken in.

4. I'm happy to say that all of my lighting is done and working. Gas gauge? Not so much. It goes up to the first mark and stays there. I've put about 12 gallons in it, so i know it has more than a quarter tank. Probably the cheap sending unit i bought. I put 215-60-15 on the front, and 235-60-15 on the rear. I love the stance. Getting better. I'm gonna drive it to the nationals in Louisville in August. 20200708_212350.jpg

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You gonna get it all in one color of primer before then?

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Be sure that gas tank and dash cluster are both well grounded before moving forward with replacing parts.

7. Yeah I'm gonna shoot the top white next week, I've got some flake for it. Probably just gonna primer the rest. More than likely be cold weather before i paint it.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. Lol when i was wiring the gauge, my leg was touching the rocker panel. I turned the key on to see if it worked and it bit me. I climbed under the car and ran a ground from one of the sending unit screws to the frame. I'll see if i can run a ground to the cluster and make it work ;)thanks man

loudbang, Johnny Gee and Stogy like this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

Loving the progress. I may have already mentioned it, but if it wasn't for your build thread, I never would have thought to clock the pitman arm and idler arm for full-interference before making up my exhaust on my own '57. I would have wasted days making it all up with the wheels straight only to find out it hits on the first drive. So thanks for that.

10. Lol that's great man, yeah i thought i had created a work of art until I tried to turn the wheels. I was reading your thread on the 2 door conversion yesterday, great looking car man, great job ;)

Stogy, 427 sleeper, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The whole cluster can have ground to it but oxidation can happen at the gauge and cluster. Only way to fix that is pull whole cluster back out. :(

12. Two things_
    I had a GM pickup, that would only indicate half on the gauge. Checked sending unit, it was okay. The gauge itself was bad.
    Could it be the wrong resistance range for the sending unit? GM up to 1964 - 0-30 Ohms. GM 1965-1997 - 0-90 Ohms. GM1998 & up - 40-250

13. Oh I've become a professional at pulling the cluster out and putting it back in. Not a big deal. It's an original gauge with a new sending unit. I was bragging about how cheap i got it, that's karma :D

14. It's the stock gauge and a replacement sending unit. They should both be 0-30

15. Ok. I read above cheap sending unit, and I thought it may have come with the car, and you didn't know its lineage.
    If you have another stock gauge, try hooking it up. It could be a fault in the mechanism.

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Look at gauge at 3 o'clock position, you'll see a ground symbol outside of circle. Now look inside of circle that represents gauge housing. You'll notice line in drawing get's thinner. That's the internal wire within gauge. It's a super fine single stran of copper wire.
    [​IMG]

17. F@ck a gas gauge! Every 50 miles have your passenger get out and run a dipstick down the filler neck.:D

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What's the average number of time they had to get out per tank? Or did you lose your human gauge before a number could be had?:D

19. Gas gauges don't matter, IF YOU DON'T DRIVE YOUR DAMN CAR! :p

Stogy, loudbang, Landmule and 2 others like this.
  20. HEY I drive one of 'em!

21. Lost human somewhere before half tank.

22. Lol i hate playing the guessing game, I'm fine with idiot lights on everything else, but i like knowing how much gas I have :D

23. Made the trip into the big city, got my inspection and registered the car. It's legal now :D (well, about as legal as i can muster ;)) steering is stiff. Worse part is having to turn the wheel back to center after a curve. Do i have the idler arm to tight??o_O 20200710_113827.jpg

24. idler arm should swing real easy and move in a full arc.

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sounds like not enough caster....

26. I'm gonna check into it tmrw. I didn't mess with it today. But it was good to get out on the road for a good trip ;)

loudbang, blowby and Johnny Gee like this.
  27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yup, beer thirty according to your post time.
    [​IMG]

28. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

29. Thank ya sir :D