Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Give my carb a bath?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldCarWeirdo, Jul 8, 2020.

1. OldCarWeirdo

OldCarWeirdo

Hi.

I have a q-jet. It was rebuilt 18 years ago. Can I bathe it in something so I don't have to take it apart again? It's not dirty.

2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Not saying anything at all. (that's what mama told me to do)

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m guessing it’s dirty from sitting on the shelf? Spray carb cleaner and a little brush will make the outside cleaner if you’re just looking to sell it. But if you’re going to run it, it should come apart and probably get a new rebuild kit.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

210superair likes this.
  4. OldCarWeirdo

OldCarWeirdo

Well, I read about people soaking them in atf and mineral spirits. Wouldn't that make all the seals fresh and sexy again? Yes, I want to run it.

5. squirrel

squirrel

If you want it to work right, you should take it apart, and replace the "soft" parts with new ones. And put it back together right, and adjust what needs to be adjusted.

If you dont know how to do it, you can screw things up pretty bad...so do some research, or pay someone who knows how to do it.

If you want to just try the carb and see what happens, then get a can of spray carb cleaner, and spray the outside and blow off with compressed air. It might work, it might not.

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

“Once new is old again . “ Quoting myself.

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You are looking for the wrong way out.

8. indyjps

indyjps

2 options, similar to Squirrel's suggestion.

Spray it down with carb cleaner and air see if it will run.

Buy a rebuild kit, watch some YouTube videos, disassemble as far as youre comfortable and clean as much as you can with carb cleaner, air, welding wire for small passages. Reassemble with fresh gaskets. May not be a full rebuild.

If this was rebuilt 18 years ago and not run, the biggest concern is gaskets and random debris. Getting the right kit /identifying your carb can be a challenge. If you have a "real" napa or auto parts store near you, take it in and see if they can help.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Sporty45 likes this.
  10. carbking

carbking

The key here would be WHO rebuilt it 18 years ago, and/or WHAT components were used, as fuel characteristics have changed:

(1) Virtually all Q-Jet gaskets 18 from years ago have not deteriorated from sitting and are compatible with modern fuel. However, if the carb must come apart for other reasons, replace the gaskets.
    (2) Brass float will be good, phenolic float SHOULD BE REPLACED. Don't even think about testing it, just replace it.
    (3) Leather accelerator pump should have about 6 drops of light machine oil placed on the leather skirt. This may be done by dribbling the oil down the pump shaft through the hole in the airhorn.
    (4) Accelerator pumps other than leather SHOULD BE REPLACED

If it is unknown what components were used, I would suggest taking it apart and rebuilding with current components.

If we rebuilt it or the rebuilding kit came from us, the components we would have used are still good; blow the outside off with compressed air, and run it after (3) above.

Jon

Elcohaulic, indyjps, 302GMC and 2 others like this.
  11. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

PlastiDip. Get the big can. You’ll never have to take it apart again.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LM14 likes this.
  12. OldCarWeirdo

OldCarWeirdo

Haha, ok. Well, my friend who was an experienced mechanic rebuilt it. He knew what he was doing. Nevertheless, I'm curious to see if or how well it will work with just the lube.

13. Knock yourself out man.

14. Got AAA? You are going to be needing it.

15. OldCarWeirdo

OldCarWeirdo

ok

16. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gas with ethanol will destroy the accel pump cup in one tank. Need to replace that at least. If you're doing that might as well put a kit in it.

Truck64 likes this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Sure wish those were made out of leather. Might try my hand at making one. Can't be too tough.

18. Slopok

Slopok

I thought I read something about Pinesol being a good cleaner for carbs.

19. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

For my (OT) late 60’s pony car, I bought Cliff’s kit and begged my 67 year old mechanic friend to (briefly) come out of retirement and rebuild the Q-jet. When I picked it up, he was shaking his head at all the previous, amateur, work that had taken place inside. That, and the damage wreaked by the stinking corn syrup fuel, had rendered the thing pretty sad. After his professional rebuild and a few minutes tuning the dwell and timing, it’s all happy now.
    Go ahead and watch the YouTube videos, it will keep you occupied while the competent mechanic rolls back the clock.

20. carbking

carbking

Molding the leather is the easy part. Fabricating pumps with right angle bends is not overly difficult. Machining the thimble is fairly easy if you have a jewelers lathe. Machining an articulated shaft can be challenging. Winding the garter spring can also be challenging.

We currently make leather pumps in 9 different diameters.

Jon.

caseywheels likes this.