Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stovebolt 12 volt conversion ignition coil???? 1954 Belair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Jul 8, 2020.

1. 6 cylinder 12 volt conversion guys. Are you running ignition coil with internal resistor? Randy Rundle's Official conversion guide suggests either Napa Echlin IC64 or Standard Ignition UC-15. Do not use external ballast resistor he says. Did I burn up my coil, by running direct 12 volts to it??? I feel so stupid. Purchased generic 12 volt coil from O'Reilly's, when I bought everything for the switch.
    Just installed Pertronix low resistance wires(800ohm vs 4500ohm) Seemed to fix ignition breaking up under load, upon initial test drive. But,... after got hot and took customer for ride, back to its old tricks!! Ugh!!!
    He wants to load on trailer tomorrow night and take home to SC
    Gonna call parts stores tomorrow morning

[​IMG]Like
    Comment

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is nothing wrong with using a ballast resistor. I even do with my Pertronix complete ignition on my Y Block. When I built my first GMC for Bonneville I used a Mallory dual point plate, Mallory oil filled box coil and a ballast resistor.
    From my experience a Tom Langdon complete HEI is your best bet for the street. It also uses a vacuum advance with the centrifugal and is built just for these engines. The one I installed works fantastic. Tom is a long time member of Inliners International and is very well known for his work and parts. Good luck..

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

4. squirrel

squirrel

does it still have points, or did you put an electronic unit in the distributor?

If it has points, it should work fine with the original coil, and an external ballast resistor.

But not enough info in your post to figure out what all you did.

5. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

In any case you need a coil with at least 3 Ohms internal resistance. Most coils now days are about 1.5 Ohms

6. Tested my current coil, this morning
    23 ohms on primary side
    (positive to negative)
    7,800 ohms secondary side
    (positive terminal to center)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Replaced coil and added a required ballast resistor. Mounted coil right side up as well. Always seemed weird that coil was upside down
    She runs like new!!!
    Truth be told, other coil turned out to be a 6v coil. Never knew it when parts guy sold it to me months ago
    Dammit Man!!
    Still glad I changed the ignition wires
    Owner very happy
    Headed home to SC Friday morning
    Thanks for all the info

JT
    IMG_9739.JPG
    IMG_9740.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    6inarow likes this.