Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cars for sale, or are they?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vonn Ditch, May 8, 2020.

1. 5window

5window

If it's an automatic, why is there a gear shift on the floor? Also not a pickup. Could be just a tad too high?

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

bobss396, nows the time to buy new. Most manufacturers are providing interest free loans for 60 - 72 Months. Thats FREE money. My Daughter just boughta new BMW that way.

bobss396 likes this.
  3. 5window

5window

Well, kinda "free". Is she required to have service at the dealer? Other strings attached. Even so, what will she owe when the free period runs out-on a 6 year old car?

4. 5window

5window

Thor1 likes this.
  5. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

With all due respect, please don't twist my words or misinterpret my intent through the comments I've made & objective/subjective opinions shared related to this topic. I'm not trying to convince you or anybody to believe something or win a competition. This is simply an open debate on commentary being made amongst fellow automotive enthusiast. One party states their opinion, sometimes with subjective and/or objective points to support it, sometimes letting it stand on its own. Fellow HAMB'er's read it, digest it and some respond with their take.

Weeding out the sarcasm in your response, a claim was never made that ,"sellers should only sell to seller" or, "buyers should only buy from other buyers" nor that there isn't such a thing as a 'potential buyer'. Recall that this dialogue spawned from, "are they for sale or are they?" whereas assertions were made that a seller should consider, "anyone a potential buyer" and that these 'potential buyers don't give a d#$% what the seller thinks that their car is worth". Nor was the claim made that you had to have "expert knowledge" to discover, consider & engage in negotiations with a seller to purchase the car they have for sale. Instead, I simply stated that a seller doesn't give a damn what a 'potential buyer' with or without a background as a hotrodder thinks what is or isn't a correct, fair price to offer their car for sale. But maybe this automotive related analogy I'll share below will better clarify my points for you....

A colleague of mine in So. Cal. is in the used/NOS pre-'54 Ford/Merc. parts business. He has a retail store where enthusiast's can walk in, go to a shelf & potentially find an original used or sometimes NOS part they need for their restoration or modified automotive build project. I sell some of the same parts, but I don't have near the inventory he has; I just have stuff left over from past projects or useable parts pulled from a 'car carcass' too far gone to be used for a foundation to build a complete car from. I focus nearly 99% on a particular car make & model years (1941-48 Ford pass. cars) & usually smaller parts (trim & accessories that take up less garage space) in original, used condition that have yet to be reproduced. Both H.A.M.B. & Ford Barn members who send inquiries to me about a particular part I don't have I usually try to help by steering them to other sources I may know for what they are looking for, including my colleague with the retail store. Sometimes, the party looking for a particular part will comment and say they are already familiar with my colleague and his store, commenting either that it is a great source to find parts or that he's a highway robber relative to the price he asks for parts in his inventory.

To the former parties I respond in agreement with them that the store is a valuable resource to any early Ford V-8 car owner building or repairing their vehicle. To the latter parties I suggest they should get a good pair of comfortable walking shoes comb the swap meets across the country (like Hershey, PA, Portland, OR or Turlock, CA) like my colleague does to find/replenish inventory, or put out the capital and buy a large decades old parts collection (some he may not need) while paying rent for a retail space with inventory setting on shelves waiting for buyers to purchase someday (remember when you need a '42 Merc. grille you can never find one, but when you've got one to sell you can't find a buyer?). This guy knows what the parts he sells are worth, based on their condition, uniqueness, rarity, availability (is it reproduced & how well) popularity and his vast level of knowledge and experience in this arena. His initials are W.M. and he has a few nice, solid early Ford V-8 cars & pickups for sale at his store as well. As a seller, he doesn't give a s@%& what a 'potential buyer' thinks parts in his inventory or cars he has for sale are worth or what price they think these should be sold for, even if they are a 'hotrodder' and especially if they are a 'newbie' who happens to be a jet pilot, sailboat mariner or a session guitarist. That's because he knows what he has & what it's worth (learning the 'parts line' for decades, having worked for & taught by the proprietors of C.W. Moss & Vintique, Inc. in Orange County, CA). If you don't agree, you don't have to buy so move on & change the channel because your opinion doesn't matter & it won't change the price to what you 'feel' it's worth.....

Lastly, a pair of fellow H.A.M.B.'er's made some very poignant comments (in my humble opinion) yesterday (7-7-2020) about how sometimes it just takes awhile to find the right buyer, running an ad with no results (or accommodating requests for more pictures & information, setting up viewing appointments, etc. without a sale), taking it down, then reposting it and a buyer suddenly popping up seemingly out of nowhere! All circumstances & conditions surrounding the sale of anything varies as it relates to both the seller and the buyer involved in a potential transaction, so in the end, there really is 'one size fits all' for how to sell anything successfully, including how/where to market it and what to ask for it when putting it up for sale. So, to answer, "are they for sale or are they?" it seems to me the answer to that is, "if they are listed for sale, they are for sale, no matter what anyone thinks about the asking price the seller has listed". But then again, that's different from defining a 'potential buyer', isn't it? Your thoughts? I hope this was a worthy of the ongoing conversation....Be Well! PRE48V-8\;^]

Keep it positive & informative (with constructive criticism when warranted)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  6. englishtim

englishtim

did you sell the woodie, i been waiting for my coupe to sell which is proving a bit more difficult in these odd times. Tim

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't BS yourself there, those kids wrench and are serious about it. It's not all stick a chip in and stick a turbo on. They just wrench on different engines than we do. My nieces's hubby has built some serous horsepower on some of those engines and there is a lot of internal work involved.

Still I think that a lot of guys who do have some money to spend on hot rods or customs or project cars are being a lot pickier about what they buy right now. As others said it's a buyer's market right now and those buyers have a lot to pick from for a change. That and guys who might normally be hunting a rather rough low entry price project are the ones who are real short on expendable cash right now. My 31 Vic has a nice straight frame and a real solid body outside of one roof section and mainly has a big ugly dent in the back but it hasn't drawn much interest even from the rat rod brigade. I don't need to sell it but have found something that I want to build more than I want to build it.

Thor1 likes this.
  8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of good comments. Again. in these times or not quality desirable cars will sell-so-so cars not so much. Have seen a few sell recently that were high quality and desirable for quality prices--there are still folks out there with funds looking for upper end cars-maybe just not as many.

5window, Gman0046 and Thor1 like this.
  9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Tim, excellent observation. Quality always sells regardless of the times. Goes for houses, cars, boats, toys, everything. Low hanging fruit not so much.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    olscrounger and Thor1 like this.
  10. I agree. It has to be the right deal, I'll look at the Chevy site and see what they are offering. My credit score is around 816, I will look at my credit union too, often the new car rate is better than the used car rate. I was looking at 2016 to 2018 cars, but for a few thousand I get a new car. Possibly in the spring I'll get the garage expansion going and then look for a new hot rod.

Thor1 likes this.
  11. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

Woodie is still & has been for sale. Had recent inquiry from non-member located in Canada who saw it listed on Ford Barn a couple weeks ago. Forwarded extra images & parts list document via private email per their request. Just received a message back a couple of days ago thanking me for the extra images & parts list. They have a colleague who owns one wagon & is just finishing another. Guy is consulting with them to get better feel what building this type of car will require from him. His parting shot was what I though it would take get a car to Canada. I told him I have no experience with picking up or shipping a car over the U.S/ Canada border, but if decides he's interested in owning the car, "where there's a will, there's a way.". Time will tell whether this will result in a transaction this time; In the meantime it's still for sale now & will be later if this interested party moves on (whether a 'potential buyer' thinks the price I'm asking is too high/unfair proved out by their perspective that it has been listed for sale for a lengthy time period with no one 'pulling the trigger'.). Good luck with your effort to move your coupe! PRE48V-8\;^]

12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Friend is considering selling his 57 Nomad and his OT 68 Shelby GT500 convert. Told a few folks and guy is ready to step up on the Nomad right now for serious $$-both cars are top flight-Nomad has modern running gear-Shelby is dead stock as it should be. Looks like there are still folks wanting nice cars.
    Cleaning out his attic too-lots of stuff

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  13. Seon

Seon

I'd buy that '35 Chevy but with the added cost of shipping, it's not cost effective for me. So I'll just put the finishing touch on my '58 Impala that's been sitting for nearly 20 yrs.

14. 5window

5window

Credit scores are bizarre things. I really don't get their numbers. I don't think. they do either. My wife and I own everything jointly in a trust. My credit scores about like yours, but my wife's is typically within a point or two of perfect. How's that figure? Good for you, BTW

Thor1 and bobss396 like this.
  15. I pay my bills on time, minimize credit card debt and don't have many credit cards. My rating recently dropped a couple of points... the reason, one of my card holders raised my limit by a few thousand.

I bought a car in 2008, used. The money guy at the dealer was able to fetch our credit ratings somehow, between me and my wife, we were at 757 and 759. I like the Credit Karma commercials where someone has a rating of 709 and are happy about it.

5window and Thor1 like this.
  16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The definition of insanity is "doing the same thing today as you did yesterday and expecting different results"

When I see the same cars listed for sale for years I think many of these people don't understand this definition.
    When you see cars for sale for years you begin to wonder what's wrong with it that it does not sell.

Jimbo

Thor1 likes this.
  17. dserge

dserge
    from WV

Seon , were you talking about my 35 Chevy ? Just curious.

Gman0046 and Thor1 like this.
  18. pkhammer

pkhammer

I have been reading this thread with great interest. I am in the market to buy and finding the right thing that checks all the boxes is like finding a needle in a haystack. Price is usually the first thing that gets looked at by anyone (we all have a budget don't we?) and if I feel the asking price is way more than I'd be willing to pay then I move right on without taking a second look. Of course price is only the first consideration and I am admittedly very picky. Money does not come easy and if whether I'm going to spend $10k, $20k or $30k I'm going to treat the process as though I'm getting married. The right one is going to check all the boxes. She's going to be the one I take home to meet the parents. The one I plan to have a long term relationship with. Just for fun I was thinking about starting a thread from the perspective of a potential buyer and see where that goes...............
    Maybe somebody needs to start a marketplace for vintage cars that's something like one of the dating websites. You fill out a profile that has all your likes and dislikes and it gives you matches to potential vehicles that you might like.

Thor1 likes this.
  19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seen a few cars sell recently above $70K--some folks are still buying quality cars.

Gman0046 likes this.
  20. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Have been in the finance business for some 40 years and I hate this credit score crap. We used to rate folks using a simple formula we referred to as SAWS Stability, Ability, Willingness and Security. Stability = timeat residence and time on job. Ability = income vs outstanding debts and household bills. Willingness = how well you pay your debts and Security= what can you put up for the loan . Worked like a charm , if we pulled a credit report , it was rare and the only reporting was usually from a local credit bureau . The first time I actually checked my credit score was 2006 when i moved to Kentucky and the ele company did so to see if I had to pay a deposit, My score was 820. I ask her what was perfect and she said 850, I sald , well then mine ought to be 850 because I always paid every thing on time and she said probably was because I didnt have much recent credit activity. Since then I have had 2 different credits accounts , one was a lawn mower i bought at Lowes, had a deal if I signed up for a credit card, I did and paid it off that month. Wife bought a car in 2018, 30,000.00 finance it, they put in my name even though I never signed anything, Ipaid it off last Nov, and I checked my credit score right before and it was down to 775 and dropped to 725 afte Ipaid the car off. I blew a top and called Trans Union and Experian and argued that they penalized me for paying on time.

21. 5window

5window

It is some kind of racket. The only way to play is to not have any debt and pay cash for everything. Of course, not many folks could do this. Then, if you did need credit-you don't have a score! When we got married, it was, and probably still is, difficult for a woman to get credit compared to a many. So just in case something happened to me, my wife kept her maiden name (a smart move) and we put all the bills in her name. Now, almost 50 years later, everyhting we have is in a joint trust, but her credit score is better than mine.

Thor1 likes this.
  22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Credit scores are strange. We owe nothing now retired and charge only as needed for convenience then pay off monthly. A few years ago some car dealer wanted to run our credit scores even though we were paying cash.
    OK-both were in the 8's but mine was a bit higher than hers--go figure-both names on everything for 43 years etc and we both worked for many years as well Makes no sense to me.

Thor1 and 5window like this.
  23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Like a box of chocolates.:D

5window and Thor1 like this.
  24. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

....and yet, maybe they do understand that pearl of wisdom you were so generous to share with everyone. But what does this sage phrase have to do with marketing or selling a vehicle or a part? Could it be that a car/part is for sale as long as it needs to be? It's very presumptive to assume that there is something, "wrong with it" preventing it from being sold to another party in relation to the period of time something has been posted for sale to an enthusiast audience. There can be a myriad of situations, circumstances, conditions & other factors at play at any given time when something like a car or related parts are posted for sale. Contrary to what seems to be implied here, there is not a 'one size fits all' or 'proper etiquette' when it comes how long a 'for sale' posting should be run. Sure, common sense dictates its advisable to include plenty of information (good, clear pictures & written description of details/history of the vehicle/part for sale), but it's a personal choice how, when or where someone markets their stuff for sale on the open market. Regardless, it takes as long as it takes for the car (or part) to find it's new home. Maybe one's opinion that listing something for sale, 'for years' is insanity, but another's perspective to that could be, 'Why would anybody care how long something's been listed for sale on an enthusiast web site?'. If it troubles someone that much, just 'change the channel' & move onto another view (just my humble opinion, of course!).....PRE48V-8\;^]

"....keep it positive & informative, while offering constructive criticism when warranted....

25. I gotta agree with Pre48 on this one. I've had a 64 Mustang for sale for better than 35yrs. I don't use for sale signs, don't run ads, never answer questions about the car and never, ever, mention to anyone it's for sale. I'm waiting for that special buyer that is an expert on 65 Mustangs, who knows their true value, and the cost to builds/restore one, and above all, truly wants and must like a 65 Mustang. If the "potential buyer" passes all these tests, and the pass/fail will be up to me, I'll be willing to tell them the price is $185,000 FIRM. If they are reluctant to "pull the trigger" I'll just post on some website they were nothing but ignorant "lookie-loos" who did nothing but wasted my time. After all, I have the right to sell my car anyway I choose, for any amount I choose, and it's up the the buyer to meet my terms if he wants to complete the transaction.

26. exterminator

exterminator

My 40 (avatar) Is not for sale but, as in the past if someone stops me and asks if it is for sale,i will say to them no but if you make me an offer I can't refuse- it's yours. So far- it has not happened. Which is good since my daughter hopes to inherit it someday.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Thor1 likes this.
  27. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

.... sarcasm is a great way to make a point that adds to an ongoing conversation, but not so much as a tool used twist another's words due to an inability to listen and respond to different objective and/or subjective viewpoints after expressing their own that other's may not necessarily subscribe to. This attempt at presenting a written parody of how another's opinion was originally expressed on its face can be viewed as an entertaining version of a manure-spreader of misinformation. But again, with all due respect, we all should refrain from mischaracterizing what was said by any individual enthusiast on this web site. A response (in this case a reaction) to an opposing view or question in reference to a subjective opinion made publicly should surely be more mature & supported by subjective and/or objective based information. Engaging in what can be construed as 'trolling' behavior because one has difficulty just simply, "agreeing to disagree" & moving forward really doesn't add to the conversation on any enthusiast based web page, let alone this one.

The foundation of an enthusiast based web page is to (in general) be both helpful & interesting as an open forum for the exchange of ideas within an area of enthusiasm where like-minded people can come and interact on common ground. Resisting the urge to 'react' as opposed to 'respond' to a viewpoint opposite of one's own can be difficult to resist (especially when emotion's are raised when one politely disagrees with another's personal, strongly held beliefs & values) but we should really try to do our level best to resist this temptation to maintain the spirit of "keep it positive & informative while offering constructive criticism when warranted" (just my humble opinion, of course, so try not to take it personal, ok?). Hope this added to the conversation.....PRE48V-8\;^]

"keep it positive & informative while offering constructive criticism where warranted..."

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Thor1 and i.rant like this.
  28. Seon

Seon

This happened to me on my '56 Nomad at a cruise event at an A&W burger joint where a woman in her mid 40's asked it was for sale. I said for the right price it is. She asked the price and I gave an outrageous price. She smiled and said I'll be back. An hour later she handed me a cashiers check from the bank across the street. Nomad was sold and I've regretted it ever since.

Image003.jpg

29. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^ this quite a few times as well. Oh well-can't keep em all

Thor1 likes this.
  30. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Weren't you insulted by the low ball $1200 offer?

Bandit Billy and Thor1 like this.