Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ford Victoria's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

One of my lifetime ambitions (since I was 14....now 76) :( has always been to own a shoebox ford..
    Just curious though, as I continually scan pictures and want ads for them, the Victoria's never seem to draw much attention ..
    Am I missing something ????
    [​IMG]

MO54Frank, CME1, Dave Mc and 3 others like this.
  2. flatford39

flatford39

Maybe because they are pretty hard to come by. That's a really nice example you are showing.

3. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I am not much of a Ford guy but I always liked the looks of a 51 Victoria. I never had one but if I did it would be a mild custom, lowered, nosed, decked, skirts, WWW's, flipper wheel covers and a Buick nailhead for power.:p:cool:

CME1, lothiandon1940 and gnichols like this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

My favorite shoe box. Like them because of the long hardtop roof, which makes for a shorter butt (trunk), too. Had a chance on a great one about 20 years ago... oh well.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. They are quite sought after. Only a little over 110,000 made with somewhere near 464, 000 2dr. Sedans. So, they're pretty rare to find.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You don`t see them in want adds, because people hang onto them.

7. People like what they like. Can't say why there are not a lot out there for sale. Growing up a guy down the street from me had a 51 Vicky, two shades of light blue, I thought that car was beautiful, always have liked them, but like Don said, there just aren't as many around as the sedans.

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have always considered them the best looking of all the shoebox Fords. This is kind of odd because they were an afterthought, hurriedly thrown together to compete with the new Bel Air hardtop introduced by Chevrolet in 1950. Ford soon realized that their upscale:rolleyes: Crestliner was not even close to competitive with the Bel Air, so they hurriedly designed a hardtop to put on the convertible body. I think it worked out well. I have always wanted one, but could never find a good one, so I finally settled for a very nice '51 Club coupe.

Speaking of club coupes, I have always wondered why Ford decided to base the Crestliner on the rather dumpy looking tudor sedan rather than the more sporty looking club coupe.

56don likes this.
  9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Learn something every day.... love this place.
    Thanks much...

Elcohaulic likes this.
  11. leon bee

leon bee

I don't need any more cars, but if by some fluke I saw one of those for sale cheap..............

12. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I remember being in my dads sky blue 51 Vic driving through Pittsburgh's Scheney park and Nat King Cole was singing Lazy Hazy Crazy days of summer" I must of been 4 it was 1960. My mom had white gloves on and a high hair doo, my dad had a pin striped suit on. We were all singing that song. I though my parents were movie stars and I was in heaven... Back then, most boys hero's were there own fathers.. I remember asking my dad to "make the pipes crackle" and he would rev that Ford up a few times for me..
    People used to dress so nice back then and seemed so happy. They had real class.. They had just beat Japan and Germany and very humbly knew they were undefeatable on the world stage..
    The styling of these cars are a result of that spirit never to be seen again....

ford vic.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    gnichols, MO54Frank, Dave Mc and 5 others like this.
  13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

14. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

This one is for sale. IMG_2910.JPG IMG_2914.JPG IMG_2916.JPG IMG_2917.JPG IMG_2919.JPG IMG_2914.JPG IMG_2916.JPG IMG_2917.JPG IMG_2919.JPG

mgtstumpy, Dave Mc and Elcohaulic like this.
  15. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

^^^ Really dig the tail light treatment!! Nice car!!! ^^^

Colonial Coupe likes this.
  16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my opinion, that yellow thing is a good example of a customizer taking a good looking car and ruining it. The lack of shiny accents around the windows just loses the class of the originals, and I particularly miss the two "dividers" on the rear window.. The chop doesn't do anything for the general proportions . I have always maintained that while "shoebox" two door sedans must be chopped, coupes and Victoria's should not be chopped.

I have never been a fan of "modification for modification's sake alone". Sorry, doesn't do anything positive for me.

17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

My Vic draws considerable attention. I've had it for 30 years now:
    !TRW06crop.jpg !Vic34Shade.JPG
    I will say that when I bought it in 1989, shoeboxes generally were completely out of favor, and nobody gave two hoots about any of them (including Victorias).

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  18. ^^^^^Beautiful^^^:)

gnichols and 50Fraud like this.
  19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"50Fraud" - Your cars tells me two things. First, Ford was at least a year too late in introducing the Victoria, and second, that my previous post was spot on.

Tastefully done, sir!:cool:

20. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

CLASS LOVE IT

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree that you just don't see them around much at all. My folks bought one when I was 14 as a temporary car for my mom when her car crapped out that was supposed to become my car when I turned 16 but sold to one of the guys who worked for my step father after mom got a different car. That guy laid it on it's passenger side and wiped out the whole side of it a few months after he got it.
    I've had a soft spot for them ever since but you just don't see many in any condition in this area.

22. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Most of you have seen this one.
    It's a long term project.

Attached Files: