Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fan blade on a ‘39 flathead in a ‘32 chassis?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 65standard, Jul 8, 2020.

1. I’m scratch building a ‘32 three window and have a question about the mechanical fan blade mounting location when using a 1939 flathead. It currently has the fan mounted to the crank. This clearly won’t work with the ‘32 frame rails. Anyone have any detailed pictures of how I can mount a fan that works with the ‘39 motor in the ‘32 frame?

2. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Fan should be mounted off the generator on a 32

3. 6A04FE39-551C-48FD-9C03-7AB32834D0EC.jpeg Directly to the generator? That clears the distributor?

4. Some combinations will give you problems. I think the '39 Standard came with the fan on the generator from the factory. The generator was the 2 brush which is probably what you want to use.

Charlie Stephens

stillrunners likes this.

5. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

Another option is to get this adapter, find an early fan that has the correct hub length you need, and mount off the front of the alternator/generator. Kind of difficult to see the fan since it's black, but hopefully you get the idea.

fullsizeoutput_1e09.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1df8.jpeg

lurker mick and akoutlaw like this.
  6. Thanks for the information. The generator mount makes it easy, clean, and simple.

7. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Ford used generator mounted fans on all v/8's from 32 through 39 standard. The fans were application specific with regard to model year and pass. and commercial. The basic difference between them being the length from the generator in relation to the radiator.If you have a green bible you can check the various specs so you know which one to look for.

stillrunners likes this.
  8. good thread.....thanks

9. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did the same - fan on generator and used a 6 blade ford 8n/9n tractor fan for a little more air flow.
    image.jpg

stillrunners likes this.
  10. X77Matt - nice - about the intake - what are you running ? Anything special about the generator ? I run a bunch of 8N's around the place and well look at getting that 6 blade at the local yard that has some 8N's....thanks.

11. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s an Edelbrock slingshot which allows dual carbs but still the stock generator location. Generator is bone stock ‘48 - nothing special. The main difference to your generator is the pulley that has the provision for the fan.

stillrunners likes this.
  12. rusty valley

rusty valley

the generators that held a fan had double bearings on the front to carry the load, something to keep in mind. another alternative, although spendy, is a whitney alternator that looks like the stock genny but has alternator guts and a bearing for the fan. you supply a core, they are slow, like 3 months, and about 500 bucks but have a very good reputation for a trouble free life. https://www.ejwhitneyco.com/automotive.html some guys use the powergen thing that looks like a generator too, but google it up to find many many failures, some with the fan coming thru the hood

stillrunners likes this.