Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60's Era Street/Strip Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by -Brent-, Aug 1, 2019.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, fellas.

Thanks, Mike! Yeah, it's one of those fun things to think about.

There are a couple more before we're caught up. I'd like to post more regularly, as progress comes, so I'm not blasting the HAMB with all the posts and pics. I have been putting it off with all the other stuff I have going on.

mad mikey, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  2. Brent, I read all 19 pages this morning. It was very entertaining, as well as informative. Ryan isn't just a custom chassis builder, he is an artist with a good eye for what looks good, and works, too. Where and when did you live in Connecticut ? I know Dean Schimetochek too, he and his father are amassing a great collection of early New England hot rods. I moved to Pennsylvania about 3 years ago, it too was a good move. I'm looking forward to more of your interesting travails with your coupe. It was rewarding reading.

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Hey Nick!

I grew up in CT. However, I didn't know Dean until he found the Missile and we've corresponded a bunch because of the car.

Thanks for crushing all 19 pages! In less than a day, that's a bunch of seat time! Hahaha.

There's a lot more to go. I need to get some of the last issues on the body sorted and then it's onto the fun stuff.

4. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

Details, details details!!!! The more you post some the more
    I love it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31chevymike, brEad, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  5. I could use a pair of those spacers, is Ryan selling?

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  6. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm thrilled to hear this. Each time before I hit "Post Reply" the thought goes through my head that I'm posting too much. I've got some great overall shots of the chassis and the coupe all mocked up, I'll work on those posts and then be caught up.

Trent, I don't see why he wouldn't. PM me, I'll get you his info.

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

1930 Model A Coupe Competition Chassis - Wrap-Up Pics:

Before I could take the car home, we had to break it down, pull the mock-up 283, swap in my 327 and put a few finishing touches on the chassis. This took a little longer because we were taking in the moment. This chassis came a long way from sitting in a Colorado dirt patch.

Model A Competition Chassis.jpg Model A Hot Rod Chassis.jpg Model A Competition Chassis 2.jpg Model A Hairpin F1 Steering and Shock Mount.jpg
    The drag-link angle will get fixed when I redo the pitman arm.

Model A Competition Chassis Tag.jpg

Although it's Chassis #2, this is the first finished Comp Chassis. The original sits under The Freakin' A.

There's more to come. After we got the car all mocked, we brought out The Freakin' A for some shots beside the coupe.

8. 51box

51box
    from MA

Looking good, it’s nice to see a bunch of thought out fabrication go into this car

9. loudbang

loudbang

Oh Hell no there is no such thing as too many photos of this awesome build. :)

10. Trust me Brent, the H.A.M.B. needs a hell of a lot more threads like this, and lot less 'I had soup for lunch while reading Street Rodder' type posts.
    Post away. Please! For the sake of the H.A.M.B..

11. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

How About a push bar like they used to have on the back of the old dragsters in the middle of the pipe ?

12. I was thinking similar

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm happy with the bumper, as is. I really like it, actually. While the car is built using NHRA rules of the era as guidance, it's primarily a street car (a rowdy one, I hope). I wouldn't pretend any different. I may be alone in this thinking but I always try to avoid getting too cute/imaginative/fantasy-thinking with things.

The bumper hangs back enough to be useful. Every car (even the track A cars) that I love, and used as reference/inspiration, all kept it simple, back there. Not one had frame horns, however.

I'll be honest, too, and admit that the idea was tossed out there, along with modified stock bumpers (yuck to me), modifying bumpers from other cars of the era, and a bunch of others. Nothing passed the keep it simple, pure, guideline I have used so far.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  14. You can never post to much for me, and many others Brent. I am really glad you are sharing all the aspects of this incredible hot rod. :)

15. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Post and share all the pics you want! There is no such thing as to many pics of this hot rod.

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

Hahaha!

Thanks, man! I'm certainly NOT going to stop posting but it felt like a barrage of posts is all.

I know you two are all in... thanks boys.

There are few really neat pics I need to get posted when I get a moment.

17. I don’t think you could ever post too much about this build.

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Man this thing is really looking awesome Brent!!

19. loudbang

loudbang

Good to find out you are another transplanted Nutmegger. :)

kidcampbell71, Thor1, -Brent- and 2 others like this.
  20. Brent, I had to say Thanks for all your post, and photos. That's a great HOT ROD, and build. I do like the fun little filler threads on here too. But this is what the HAMB is really all about. Also it's my favorite era for Hot Rods. There's just nothing better than a bare bones, teeth shattering Ford A coupe! Love a 327!:)

21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

This is going to be a wicked car once it's done. It's a got a lot of neat little thing stuff to learn about all over it!

22. Ron. That really SAYS it all. :):):):):):):):):):)Model A DRAG CARS!!

23. -Brent-

-Brent-

Picking up the Coupe Part 1.
    Finally - Full Mock-Up Photos:

Fellas, it's been a long time coming. 12 years! Here are my "first impression" pics. You know how people say, "Pics don't do it justice."?

I get it now. Even with all the planning, math, attention to detail, etc., I could see the pics showing everything. But I was just going by the pics. When I saw the car in person, it was a dramatically different impression. I'm probably biased because it's my baby but the car has much more attitude, especially stance-wise, in person. Also, you can see all the dents, dings, and scars, in person. The camera is kind.

First Time as a Complete Roller 30 Coupe.jpg First Time as a Complete Roller 30 Model A Coupe 2.jpg First Time as a Complete Roller 30 Model A Coupe 3.jpg First Time as a Complete Roller 30 Model A Coupe 4.jpg First Time as a Complete Roller 30 Model A Coupe 5.jpg

After walking around (and of course, me putting a seat in so I can sit inside), we put it on jack stands and creeped under to look at the chassis.

30 Coupe on Jack Stands.jpg

It looks weird off the ground.

1930 Model A Wheels Up.jpg

But not like this!!!!

After this, we blew the car apart to finish up a few items on the list and swap the mock-up out for my 327. The car is so simple to disassemble we could have has it wrapped that day. Instead, we got sidetracked with hotrod things.

First we took the Abomination out and ripped around Rockford. His 327 is snappy,

Abomination Henry J.jpg

Then, later, we took his father's 55 w/ 301 and 4spd out to dinner.

Mr Hartman 55.jpg

If I wasn't already excited to take the A home, these two had me pumped.

24. Sounds like the best day ever Brent.:cool::)

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I can just picture you walking laps around the car trying to take a photo that looks like what your eyes see.
    Excited for you man

26. loudbang

loudbang

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

Any day ripping around in hot rods is a pretty good day.

Thanks, Tim.

I didn' even make it a lap. There's been this one angle of the car that looked awkward to me. I got to that point and that feeling was erased.

100%

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

Picking up the Coupe Part 2. Last Night in Rockford.

We'd goofed off a fair bit and that put us into getting the car buttoned up late at night. I was already past the time I'd planned to be on the road, heading west. The chalkboard list was all but done. However, there were a few other, small things we wanted to knock off.

If there was a solid workday, we could have filled that up, easily, with little body stuff. Having the doors off gave Ryan an opportunity for a few quick fixes. He tigged up a small crack, to two grind throughs that the body shop guys did when they were putting the car in sealer (there's still other shit to is that they hacked up, which STILL pisses me off), and a couple of areas missed from the chop (there's probably 6 or 8 more, at least). As well, he took a few minutes to work on an oilcan/dent on a door.

Last Night in Ill 13.jpg

The fenders went on, body bolted, doors back on and zip-tied, and so on until the car was sitting there, nothing left to do but head out the door.

Last Night in Ill 6.jpg Last Night in Ill 7.jpg Last Night in Ill 9.jpg

It may sound silly because we're talking about an old car with 200 dents and dings... but it was pretty surreal.

At this point, most people would've rolled the car out the door, loaded up the trailer, shook hands and parted. Our plan, however, was to get The Freakin' A and my coupe together for some pics. If it weren't for The Freakin' A build, way back, my coupe wouldn't have this chassis. We'd both been eager to set them together.

Last Night in Ill 12.jpg Last Night in Illinois 14.jpg
    Last Night in Ill 11.jpg Last Night in Ill 10.jpg
    Last Night in Ill 3.jpg

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man you really forget how small these cars are until you have a photo of someone standing next to it.

great “group” photos man